onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

25 minutes ago, mbycars said:

He didnt play 30 ish games last season. He only played 34 games in two seasons.

I think you’re wrong. Across all competitions, just doubled checked it too in Wikipedia. 31 last season and 12 the season before. Fully fit mal Benning played 36 last season and Chris hussey got in 19. I’m as gutted as anyone that gibbo went but I’m not rose tinted enough to try and dumb down his impact last season just because he’s gone.  I’ll die on the hill that he was better than both those 2 who came in last season, he was mainly first choice over them and had more of an impact than both of them over the course of the season. 31 games this season vs 12 the season before to me indicates a player improving his injury record and going the right way over the previous season when he got the bad injury. We’ll never know now, well I suppose we will by what he does for Bristol next season, but we move on anyway.

Advert

42 minutes ago, johnjeffersfanclub said:

For the RWB, I'd be tempted to look at Luke Matheson of Wolves. On loan in a shocking team last season, but did well as a 17 year old in League One for Rochdale. Marauds forward. 

That’s the type of player we need as a wing back. 

I think you’re wrong. Across all competitions, just doubled checked it too in Wikipedia. 31 last season and 12 the season before. Fully fit mal Benning played 36 last season and Chris hussey got in 19. I’m as gutted as anyone that gibbo went but I’m not rose tinted enough to try and dumb down his impact last season just because he’s gone.  I’ll die on the hill that he was better than both those 2 who came in last season, he was mainly first choice over them and had more of an impact than both of them over the course of the season. 31 games this season vs 12 the season before to me indicates a player improving his injury record and going the right way over the previous season when he got the bad injury. We’ll never know now, well I suppose we will by what he does for Bristol next season, but we move on anyway.

I really wanted him stay , however over 92 league games he’s got on the pitch in 33 and lasted 90 mins in 15

I’m not the manager, if I was I would have signed him , I really hope he’s over this bad injury period

12 hours ago, LancyTony said:

You can keep saying it, but logic ought to tell you differently? Many of the teams in our new League we have played before, in the last few seasons...and beaten a few of them, including those promoted with us, this time! But, I would expect to get new faces in, very shortly...and retaining almost all the squad from last season is a good thing for continuity!

I hope the step up is less than I think.

29 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

If he’s so good and over his injury record how come he hasn’t gone to a top end league 1 club or to the championship.

No one disagrees that a fully fit Gibbo would be the best option we have in that position.

The vast majority of us would rate a fully fit Gibbo as top end league 1 or championship. Yet the football world hasn’t. Why?

To deny his injury record and discounts it from the decision of how much we should pay him is just wrong.

Improvement in games this year or not, James Gibbons has a significant injury risk hanging over his head. It sounds like we offered him a small base but a decent salary if he played a certain number of games.

Says to me he isn’t even confident over his injury himself. He expects the club to gamble over it, but won’t do it himself.

Gibbo was brilliant.

Gibbo is injury prone.

We have him an offer that reflected that.

Bristol took the gamble. And that’s what it is.

That’s it.

6 minutes ago, tisdeano said:

I really wanted him stay , however over 92 league games he’s got on the pitch in 33 and lasted 90 mins in 15

I’m not the manager, if I was I would have signed him , I really hope he’s over this bad injury period

Stats can be interpreted anyway to suit any point. 31 games last season vs 12 the season before shows a different trend. Reading Yatesy column the other day he was mentioning the turned ankle he got last season, no player could ever prepare themselves for that type of injury could they. If he had been out with the same hamstring injury as the season before that was pretty much written off then of course it points to that injury being an ongoing issue. I’m not saying he should be a massive earner either, I would be surprised if he thought  that too, but he was worth his weight in the squad and proved it a lot over the course of the games he played in last season. 

13 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

If he’s so good and over his injury record how come he hasn’t gone to a top end league 1 club or to the championship.

No one disagrees that a fully fit Gibbo would be the best option we have in that position.

The vast majority of us would rate a fully fit Gibbo as top end league 1 or championship. Yet the football world hasn’t. Why?

To deny his injury record and discounts it from the decision of how much we should pay him is just wrong.

Improvement in games this year or not, James Gibbons has a significant injury risk hanging over his head. It sounds like we offered him a small base but a decent salary if he played a certain number of games.

Says to me he isn’t even confident over his injury himself. He expects the club to gamble over it, but won’t do it himself.

Gibbo was brilliant.

Gibbo is injury prone.

We have him an offer that reflected that.

Bristol took the gamble. And that’s what it is.

That’s it.

I think you answered your own questions. He was good for us and you know he was. I’m guessing you also think that he was better than hussey and Benning too over last season as well. I never thought he was championship good though. Bristol must think he’s worth the gamble whilst I’m genuinely surprised that we didn’t. There’s no shame in going to another league one club though is there, just because it’s not championship club or a Sheffield Wednesday doesn’t indicate his quality. I’m sure Bristol Rovers will have just as much of a go at next season as we will. It’s a whole other debate as to whether they are a bigger club than us or not currently. 

Now we need to go out and prove the decision right with a player of better quality who will give us 40 games a season. 

28 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

For balance, Hussey played 47 games last season, 19 after joining us mid Jan.  Previous year 48, and 40 in the COVID season.

Gibbo was 31 in total last year, of which only 11 were after Hussey joined.  The previous year just 12.  

Cass played 27 despite losing half the season to a freak training ground injury.

Benning 36.

David Worrall played 50 despite his hip injury

These are the players Gibbo was being assessed against when considering him as either RCB or either wing back,

All irrelevant as no guarantee of what will happen next season, but will have helped form the basis of the clubs contract offer, where the club will also have had access to medical records.  

2 hours ago, Bob Newtonian said:

Is he? so why is he playing in the same league as "most of the others" next season ?

I think Cass is a better defender and will prove to have less injury problems over the next two years than Gibbons has had over the previous 2 seasons.

Players missing through injuries means changing the team around and having to sign extra cover so the add on costs in terms of points lost and financing addition of an extra cover player worked against Gibbo's contract offer I guess.

Anyway he's all fixed up now hope he does well he ll get great applause off me when we next see him.

UTV.

Did you think Cass was the better defender?  Sorry, but from what I saw last season, Gibbo was better of the 2.  To add some balance to that, in fairness Cass is nowhere near as experienced as Gibbo, who must have played 3 or 4 times as many league games at a guess.  You’d say both players have scope to improve, more so in the case of Cass, so it’ll  be interesting to see how both their respective careers progress at League 1 level.

41 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

That’s the type of player we need as a wing back. 

On this subject, anyone else have a feeling we might go down this route rather than make many more permanent signings, or am I reading a bit too much between the lines from the recent Flickers interview where he mentioned presentations to Prem and Championship clubs etc?

36 minutes ago, 1 said:

I hope the step up is less than I think.

its a tricky one this🤔, but lets say for example, Chris Hussey (who I really like as a player for us), he is a well established 1st division player - does he stand head and shoulders above any of our (last season) league 2 players?

also, we played numerous 1st division sides last year and were not disgraced by any.

on top of that, many league 2 promoted teams are not relegated the season after.

- so quality wise, is it going to be a big step up, I would say a not insurmountable step.

Anyone heard anything solid about this.  I do hope this is a pile of  
image.thumb.jpeg.61455539a5ed9b089cb12a49cd636df6.jpeg

Wouldn't surprise me. I'd take that personally. He's not worth much more than that with only a year to go on his contract. Good player in the middle but for that money I do feel that we could get just as good and probably a lot more versatile

7 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

On this subject, anyone else have a feeling we might go down this route rather than make many more permanent signings, or am I reading a bit too much between the lines from the recent Flickers interview where he mentioned presentations to Prem and Championship clubs etc?

I think DF will be mightily disappointed if none of those presentations come to fruition

Archived