Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

Advert:

It's all guesswork isn't it regarding budgets . And the fact Morecambe stayed up blows it out of the water.

We'll have a competitive budget I'd hazard a guess better than a good few who are all pretty obvious without listing them. 

• Like 2

The Bristol Post is reporting that James Norwood will sign for either Bristol Rovers or Oxford United. He is allegedly considering offers from both clubs over this week.

Advert:

1 hour ago, valefan16 said:

Morecambe, Burton, Cheltenham, Accrington, Cambridge will have a smaller one, probably Exeter and possibly FGR and Wycombe

Not sure I agree… Wycombe will have a decent budget they had sky championship money recently.., burton will have a decent budget given how long they have been established in league 1… even the others have had league 1 money for quite a while while we ve been bumming around trying to stay alive in league 2…. It’s difficult to pull those years back in a single transfer window.
Fgr have a billionaire owner and Exeter are well run a bit similar to us…. So out of those clubs we will probably be on a par with Exeter wages wise i think the others may be a bit ahead of us this season.

dont underestimate the task if achieving league 1 respectability in this first season.

utv

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, BossThatGarrityLaaa said:

Do we think the possibility of taking Politic back on loan is out of the question? 

He played a grand total of 16 minutes since he moved to Italy, whilst the team got promoted to Serie A so game time even less likely now? 

2B9277A9-9203-4D09-B11E-C0A5CC75FDA2.png

No chance… I’m my opinion

2 hours ago, Trumpingtonvale said:

No surprise that quite a few Championship teams interested along with Sheffield Wed so unfortunately probably low to no chance of getting Anderson in on loan at VP.

I believe the 💩 are another Championship club after him.

Regarding strikers, I mention this a lot as some people still don't seem to get it - just because someone has scored goals elsewhere doesn't mean they would score goals with us, and vice versa.
Looking at the top five L1 goalscorers last season, and their record before shows this:
  • Will Keane - 26 goals last season - 6 in 34 for Ipswich in L1 previously
  • Ross Stewart - 24 goals last season - 15 in 63 for Ross County in the Scottish Prem previously
  • Alfie May - 23 goals last season - 10 in 92 for Doncaster in L1 previously
  • Cole Stockton - 23 goals last season - 1 in 16 for Tranmere in L2 previously (never hit double figures at any club before Morecambe)
  • Scott Twine - 20 goals last season - 8 in 50 at Swindon over L1/L2 previously.
None of those were 'prolific' before joining their current club. You could argue Stewart and Twine showed potential as younger players maybe.
It's about finding players that suit a system and style of play, which I'm sure we're looking at. Wilson and Proctor had their best ever scoring seasons with us last season for example.
'Names' like Norwood etc don't interest me, and I trust this recruitment setup as to whoever comes in.

Love the insight this posts gives, doesn’t matter how many a player has scored beforehand, it’s what they do next that matters the most, all of those have never been prolific beforehand

Who needs unproven L1 Telford
  • Like 4

Advert:

Depending on what promotion bonuses our players received our wage buget could already be quite high. You may find that an average league 2 wage with say a 25% increase (for promotion) is higher than an average league 1 wage. I'm sure some eager beaver will accept the challenge to do the research.

5 hours ago, 1 said:

Not in a judgemental or <ovf censored> talking way, but how many teams in L1 are likely to have a lower budget than Vale? I’d say 2 or 3, obviously I hope it’s more and we’ll never really know.

We are going to have to spin some gold and get some cracking additions into the squad to compete comfortably.

What? There’ll be a lot more than 2 or 3. 

33 minutes ago, Doha said:

What? There’ll be a lot more than 2 or 3. 

According to the betting on League 1 I just looked at we are likely to finish 18th. But above Forest Green who have been cannibalised this close season so far. 

Advert:

7 minutes ago, Warren said:

According to the betting on League 1 I just looked at we are likely to finish 18th. But above Forest Green who have been cannibalised this close season so far. 

The bookies wrote us off at the start of last season as well. We'll see. 

6 minutes ago, Heatwave said:

The bookies wrote us off at the start of last season as well. We'll see. 

I think we need a bit more than we have got in the remaining transfer window. But I also think the squad being together a season is very helpful and that some of our players have considerable scope to improve. If we stay injury free I don't see why we can't finish say 8 - 14. 

• Like 3

The thing with our budget is that it is known to be incentive based so if we do well our budget is higher. Our core base wage may be low down on the scale but the opportunity for the team and players is there to earn much more.