onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

I just want Telford to sign for someone if just to stop the obsession about a player where the rumour came from one person saying they saw him at wembley and nowhere official at all

I just look forward to seeing who the 3 strikers are we will bring in,no doubt more meltdowns will be due when its not Telford 🙂 

Advert

If you let your better players run down their contracts then unfortunately you run the risk of losing them. He should have been offered a new contract ages ago. It’s sad that we can’t offer a home grown player who has been with us nearly 10 years and has close  family in the area a contract comparable with Bristol Rovers who are going to be in same division. The same will happen when Wilson’s contract runs out next season. Lessons need to be learned. 

1 minute ago, werstayinup said:

I just want Telford to sign for someone if just to stop the obsession about a player where the rumour came from one person saying they saw him at wembley and nowhere official at all

I just look forward to seeing who the 3 strikers are we will bring in,no doubt more meltdowns will be due when its not Telford 🙂 

I've heard the other two strikers are Steven Fletcher and Charlie Austin...

1 minute ago, TreacleValiant said:

If you let your better players run down their contracts then unfortunately you run the risk of losing them. He should have been offered a new contract ages ago. It’s sad that we can’t offer a home grown player who has been with us nearly 10 years and has close  family in the area a contract comparable with Bristol Rovers who are going to be in same division. The same will happen when Wilson’s contract runs out next season. Lessons need to be learned. 

Not being funny but after which injury should we have offered a deal? Talks have gone on anyway as they are/have with other players Stone proves that one.. Gibbo was leaving in January FACT and he wouldn't of signed any contract offered by us at the time

1 minute ago, TreacleValiant said:

Perhaps we didn’t think he is worth the risk of matching Rovers offer?  Perhaps we offered what we thought was the best deal in view of his injury record?

1 hour ago, boslemportvale91 said:

I've seen a few mention Taylor leaving. Quite concerning as Conlon and Walker are still recovering from bad injuries are they not ? 

I don't fancy watching Aaron Martin playing midfield again if I'm honest 

I saw Walker and Jones doing some light work on Monday. He seemed to be moving OK to me.

I would be very surprised if he’s not ready day 1 unless he has a different injury.

4 minutes ago, TreacleValiant said:

The same will happen when Wilson’s contract runs out next season. Lessons need to be learned. 

I dont agree - Wilson has been pushed and pulled all over the country, and is now settled - plus he will already be minted, so completely different scenario -wouldnt surprise me if JW stays for the rest of his career

8 minutes ago, TreacleValiant said:

Or he could get a Contract extension like Conlon did last year. 

Different scenarios and situations for every player 

If DC was fully committed to getting Edmondson and Harratt back I’m sure he’d be back here now. But my instinct is that DC sees  those positions in the squad as places for players who can definitely cut it in league 1, rather than development slots for other teams players who with all due respect may find league 1 a struggle.  So we haven’t  “Lost” them, rather we need to repurpose the spaces for new priorities.

Hurst going is cracking business. Cash for a player we had to pay who would never play, or had to mess around finding a loan for.

Cass, widely considered to be a fantastic signing who is developing and potentially of L1 calibre already.

Amoo, it was obvious it was going to be released and we need players who fit the formation.

There’s 5/5 pieces of business won by DC and DF which went the way we wanted.

Gibbo, without knowing the details we’ll never really know, but I’m sure Vale had a red line that the club were not prepared to cross due to perceived value. I don’t think it was an issue of being cheap, rather that we have an ethos for building the squad an don’t give money away that could be spent elsewhere. The recruitment team will have had this particular case mapped out months before and probably knew an agreement was unlikely. I’m personally glad they haven’t broken the bank and signed up a part time player that would restrict what other avenues we have to improve the squad.

If Benning leaves too, which I strongly doubt will happen, just means we find other players. Not a big deal and the core of the team is signed and ready to go.  I think the defining signings this summer will not be who plays at right back or left back.  I think The players we sign to support Proctor and Wilson will define how the season goes.  If we sign two strikers in addition to those two already signed that are exciting and have the quality, then I’ll start to relax a bit. If those positions are filled by clear understudies then I genuinely think we’re going to struggle.

1 hour ago, Vale Ball said:
3 hours ago, jjvale_03 said:
Gutted.
Reflects really badly on the football club that he'd rather join Bristol Rovers than stay with us.

How come ?

A lad who's been at the club over half of his life, loved by fans and who only 4 weeks ago was running around Wembley stadium carrying a big trophy with a huge smile on his face now choosing to leave the club in a sideways move. 

I get the arguments about his injury record and trusting the process, but nobody is going to be able to sugarcoat this enough to make me think this reflects well on the club from an outside perspective. 

There is a reason at the end of the day that Gibbons has ended up at Bristol Rovers and not the rumoured Stoke or Wigan… at this stage in his career his injuries leave a big question mark and it’s right we haven’t thrown big money to keep him.

We’ve been moaning about how many injuries we’ve had for a couple of years and we need to make sensible decisions on that.

I love Gibbo; he’s local, has the passion and is a talented wing back but we won promotion without him for half the games, he is replaceable and I am confident money isn’t the issue in terms of what we could offer, but what we chose to offer.

35 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

One final thing from me on this whole thing. Booing Gibbo would be a disgrace. He's given everything for the club over the last few years.

Spot on, strangely enough silence works better, let's hope he brings no attention to himself 

Archived