onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

42 minutes ago, bobbymanc said:

Rubbish that. We can definitely afford to finish the Lorne Street if we can't put an offer together to encourage Gibbo to stay. I think "the matrix"might need looking at, otherwise we'll be a team full of late 20s, early 30s plodders by the end of next season if we're not careful. Taylor probably gone soon too, so that'll be another under 25 year old one his way.

What a ridiculous take players turned down a contract so that means we can't afford finish lorne st give your head a wobble

Advert

Bit harsh to call people doom and gloom merchants after one of our better players (who is loved) leaves. Injury record is the only reason I’m not really pissed off with this as it hindered us at times last year. At worse, we already have Cass, but I can see quite a few defenders join. 

I was gutted when Andy Jones left,Beckford,Foyle,Ainsworth,Guppy and McCarthy and the like(i do know many on here wont have seen those years) but for me Gibbons feels different,we move on simple as that,we have had better and we will bring in better long term and in the future,It's football,It's a job players move on

14 minutes ago, Bald Eagle said:

So what counts as ‘very hard’ to keep him’?  It’s one of those nothing comments like we had with the ‘deadwood’ last year, many of whom ‘could do a job’ in some peoples eyes - which is also a nothing comment.

It seems pretty  much a given that the way that the players and their families are treated is ‘second to none’ as a welcoming environment pretty much anywhere, and the player recovery/welfare/nutrition/rehab/training etc pretty much as good as you will find outside of the championship.

If you are talking financially, what is the figure you think the club should have offered Gibbo - £2k / £5k / £10k / per week / whatever it takes?

What would be your ‘walk away’ figure?  What if Gibbo just fancies a fresh challenge?  What if the amount Brizzle are offering is significantly above what we believe his true market value is?

I much prefer to trust our professionally run club and management team to make the right decision for the good of PVFC and put out the best value for money squad they can (as proved last summer and January - when many signings were bemoaned and yet delivered promotion against the odds) and not jeopardise our future for a frankly (very good) player who averages around 20 games a season!

Given that you ask.

I'd have offered him a 2 year deal, with an automatic renewal (with a built in % pay increase) for x years triggered if/when he hit x number of minutes on the pitch.

I think he deserved to be offered a contract that was non-appearance based, with a basic wage in line with others at the club who we expect to be in our starting XI in L1. The likes of Nathan Smith and Conor Hall. It would represent a slight gamble given his injury record, but not a ridiculous one given how he ended the season.

A gamble would be paying a fee for a full back ten years Gibbo's senior, and offering him a deal he 'couldn't turn down' back in January. Hello, Chris Hussey.

3 minutes ago, mikey said:

Look at it another way, we've lost Gibbo but gained Cass. I think we have won that one.

Taylor isnt going anywhere, and I don't understand the doom and gloom merchants who think he is.

Give it a few more days, and we will be seeing new faces coming in. Get a grip some of you.

Cass is nowhere near as good a wingback though. We need to get another one on. Especially if Benning goes. 

Just now, mikey said:

Look at it another way, we've lost Gibbo but gained Cass. I think we have won that one.

Taylor isnt going anywhere, and I don't understand the doom and gloom merchants who think he is.

Give it a few more days, and we will be seeing new faces coming in. Get a grip some of you.

I’d be less bothered about losing Taylor than Gibbo. Cass will be played at rcb so Gibbo needs replacing. Still think going into the season with both Hussey and Benning is risky as well.
2 strikers and a central midfielder or two. When does pre season start?

The days of Roy Sproson are long gone. You'll get a Giggs, Carragher or even our neighbours Shawcross who will spend a decade at a club. 

Premier league a different animal to us mere mortals. Players come and go. The king is dead long live the king. 

Great player but we move on and he'll be chip paper in November when his replacement is making his own memories.

Had a dip on their forum and some are saying he'll be back up to someone called Hoole. Who knows and who cares. 

22 minutes ago, Jgpvfc said:

We can’t come close to these signings. 

Proven players but also rather past it. That’s a problem a lot of the bigger league 1 clubs have had over the past few years, they throw money at proven names who are way over the hill when they join. 

52 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

Totally agree 34/92 league games in the last two seasons is barely a third. I liked Gibbo but he’s hardly irreplaceable.

Great stat that and maybe a reality check for some,also saw that we had won as many games with him as we have without him,as i keep saying i wanted him to stay but we have to move on now and we CAN replace him

Just now, boslemportvale91 said:

Anyone else think we might shift a few more players before the season starts ?

Jones , Hussey , Martin etc? 

All 3 must be at risk definitely. 

And I'll throw this out there and I know it's harsh. 

Had Hussey not gone off injured at Exeter we wouldn't of gone up.

1 minute ago, werstayinup said:

Great stat that and maybe a reality check for some,also saw that we had won as many games with him as we have without him,as i keep saying i wanted him to stay but we have to move on now and we CAN replace him

Of those 34 league games only 27 were actual starts.

This was last night. The bloke who got us promoted in his first full season despite his dreadful adversity, and the several layers of other baffling adversity the club went through, doesn't look too worried. So I'll try not to be.

If we'd lost Gibbo in the hypothetical world where he was injury free I'd be bewildered. But we didn't, we lost the 22 games a season Gibbo. In the cold light of day, a contract renewal favouring big money for appearences over a higher basic makes sense. We all know it, painful as that is.

The key for me now is finding another player, regardless of position, with the same levels of aggression and energy. Someone who'll whip the fans up, flip the balance of play around with an aggressive run and a 'come on' gesture to the Railway. That element of his game is a huge loss when the game is flat or we're under pressure and need a strong talisman.

1 minute ago, darren1810 said:

All 3 must be at risk definitely. 

And I'll throw this out there and I know it's harsh. 

Had Hussey not gone off injured at Exeter we wouldn't of gone up.

Agreed. Hussey was the biggest disappointment for me. Another Zak Mills 2.0 

I'm not sure what's wrong with Jones I know he had an injury but didn't look himself in the last few games he played 

As for Martin. As I mentioned before , he's absolutely petrifying when he's playing  as he does a lot of stupid passes and needles tackles right near the box 

On the subject of Carol. Fair amount of moaning on the facebook groups about budgets.

She put in a fortune to underwrite the Covid losses.

The budget is based on income. Much of that income is based on ticket sales.

Any grumbles of discontent about money not being spent should be referred to our, in my opinion, disappointing ST sales so far. 3500 in the 3rd week of June after promotion isn't what I expected in all honesty. That's just my opinion.

Archived