• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

Advert:

9 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

With regard to building next season’s squad, my Dad had a favourite saying when he was doing a job and I interfered. He’d say “only fools and children see thing half done.”

LOVE IT - NICE 🤣🤣

to wind me up, me ole pappy used to say "you can lead a horse to water, but it doesnt make him a duck" - I used to walk away scratching me head 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, TreacleValiant said:

I find it strange that a local home grown player who has been with for a number of years and is a guaranteed starter when fit would rather sign for a league rival that are miles away from his home town. I could understand a move if it was to a championship club or a championship club that has just been relegated to league 1 but for him to want to move to a club managed by Joey Barton that are miles away. Stone the crows. 

Plenty of people, in all walks of life, don't hang around in their home town for life.

• Like 3

Advert:

26 minutes ago, Clayts said:

Right. Quick question. When Pope left us for Bury, for a better deal, did that reflect 'awful' on us? Or was it just a rival team rolling the dice and paying significantly higher wages than we were able/prepared to offer, (and that proved in their case to be unsustainable)?

And look what happened to the club who offered the better deal……

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Advert:

6 minutes ago, Valiant in Brum said:
34 minutes ago, Stockleys_socks said:
Plenty of people, in all walks of life, don't hang around in their home town for life.

That is what I was saying he may have seen it as an oppurtunity try living somewhere else. Bristol has alot to offer as a city.

Think we need an announcement from the Vale quickly about a decent signing , before everybody goes into melt down 

My heart is gutted Gibbo won’t be with us next year.

But my head says that we have offered him something based on his injury history and games output. As already mentioned he started a very small number of games over the last 2 years and missed 63% of league games completely over that period.

An offer based on a low base and a high appearance component is a sustainable and sensible offer. Rovers have taken a gamble… one which may or may not pay off… but it’s a gamble.

Im also not surprised whatsoever so see some people lose their heads and start moaning their sacks off at Flitcroft and even a Carol online. Football fans eh!

I cannot believe I’m having to say this… memories are very short… but trust the process and keep the faith.

UTV

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, mvb said:

Think we need an announcement from the Vale quickly about a decent signing , before everybody goes into melt down 

Too late !! The hot weather doesn’t help. Pretty sure the powers that be know what they’re doing , haven’t done too bad so far !

1 hour ago, TreacleValiant said:

If you let your better players run down their contracts then unfortunately you run the risk of losing them. He should have been offered a new contract ages ago. It’s sad that we can’t offer a home grown player who has been with us nearly 10 years and has close  family in the area a contract comparable with Bristol Rovers who are going to be in same division. The same will happen when Wilson’s contract runs out next season. Lessons need to be learned. 

When would you offer a contract to a player who had to prove durability after major injury problem?

Said player becomes integral to the way we play, only to get injured with a move to higher division scuppered. When returning to the team player very quickly picks ups another injury at which point the team does not know which league they will be in and subsequent playing budget. 

I really don't know what you expect the club to do in this situation.

Personally I would not have done anything different even though I absolutely love the kid and thought he was a MUST to keep but that has to fit within budget.

It would have been too much of a risk for us to give another contract at the start of the season and we were in no position to do so in January.

• Like 4

Advert:

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

Give us the title now with Telford,Fletcher,Austin,Norwood and Bale in our ranks

Then again scratch that because we have lost Gibbo so be lucky survive in League One

Nah mate Bale won't fit into our system.

1 hour ago, TreacleValiant said:

I find it strange that a local home grown player who has been with for a number of years and is a guaranteed starter when fit would rather sign for a league rival that are miles away from his home town. I could understand a move if it was to a championship club or a championship club that has just been relegated to league 1 but for him to want to move to a club managed by Joey Barton that are miles away. Stone the crows. 

Fully agree with this

must be for money can’t be for a charismatic manager or way of playing 

• Like 1