Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

Advert:

8 minutes ago, TreacleValiant said:

If you let your better players run down their contracts then unfortunately you run the risk of losing them. He should have been offered a new contract ages ago. It’s sad that we can’t offer a home grown player who has been with us nearly 10 years and has close  family in the area a contract comparable with Bristol Rovers who are going to be in same division. The same will happen when Wilson’s contract runs out next season. Lessons need to be learned. 

Or he could get a Contract extension like Conlon did last year. 

Different scenarios and situations for every player 

• Like 1

If DC was fully committed to getting Edmondson and Harratt back I’m sure he’d be back here now. But my instinct is that DC sees  those positions in the squad as places for players who can definitely cut it in league 1, rather than development slots for other teams players who with all due respect may find league 1 a struggle.  So we haven’t  “Lost” them, rather we need to repurpose the spaces for new priorities.

Hurst going is cracking business. Cash for a player we had to pay who would never play, or had to mess around finding a loan for.

Cass, widely considered to be a fantastic signing who is developing and potentially of L1 calibre already.

Amoo, it was obvious it was going to be released and we need players who fit the formation.

There’s 5/5 pieces of business won by DC and DF which went the way we wanted.

Gibbo, without knowing the details we’ll never really know, but I’m sure Vale had a red line that the club were not prepared to cross due to perceived value. I don’t think it was an issue of being cheap, rather that we have an ethos for building the squad an don’t give money away that could be spent elsewhere. The recruitment team will have had this particular case mapped out months before and probably knew an agreement was unlikely. I’m personally glad they haven’t broken the bank and signed up a part time player that would restrict what other avenues we have to improve the squad.

If Benning leaves too, which I strongly doubt will happen, just means we find other players. Not a big deal and the core of the team is signed and ready to go.  I think the defining signings this summer will not be who plays at right back or left back.  I think The players we sign to support Proctor and Wilson will define how the season goes.  If we sign two strikers in addition to those two already signed that are exciting and have the quality, then I’ll start to relax a bit. If those positions are filled by clear understudies then I genuinely think we’re going to struggle.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Vale Ball said:
3 hours ago, jjvale_03 said:
Gutted.
Reflects really badly on the football club that he'd rather join Bristol Rovers than stay with us.

How come ?

A lad who's been at the club over half of his life, loved by fans and who only 4 weeks ago was running around Wembley stadium carrying a big trophy with a huge smile on his face now choosing to leave the club in a sideways move. 

I get the arguments about his injury record and trusting the process, but nobody is going to be able to sugarcoat this enough to make me think this reflects well on the club from an outside perspective. 

Edited by jjvale_03
  • Like 4

There is a reason at the end of the day that Gibbons has ended up at Bristol Rovers and not the rumoured Stoke or Wigan… at this stage in his career his injuries leave a big question mark and it’s right we haven’t thrown big money to keep him.

We’ve been moaning about how many injuries we’ve had for a couple of years and we need to make sensible decisions on that.

I love Gibbo; he’s local, has the passion and is a talented wing back but we won promotion without him for half the games, he is replaceable and I am confident money isn’t the issue in terms of what we could offer, but what we chose to offer.

• Like 5

Advert:

35 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

One final thing from me on this whole thing. Booing Gibbo would be a disgrace. He's given everything for the club over the last few years.

Spot on, strangely enough silence works better, let's hope he brings no attention to himself 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hoppers said:

I dont agree - Wilson has been pushed and pulled all over the country, and is now settled - plus he will already be minted, so completely different scenario -wouldnt surprise me if JW stays for the rest of his career

Not sure on the rest of his career but i wouldn't be surprised see him sign a longer deal

IF he stays consistent in League One and stays fit i have no doubt he could become a saleable asset if under contract,a fit and happy James Wilson could easily play in the Championship imo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Dont forget Norwood  🙂 I saw him wearing a Vale sun hat in errrmmm a hot country 😉 hope this gets on FB now

Frazier Campbell was in oatcake shop the other day 

Sometimes people just want go try something different in life. Maybr he eanted to.try life down south. May not bd all the clubs fault. Lets see who we can bring in. There is time yet. They may jave their replacement lined up already.

• Like 1

Advert:

3 minutes ago, jjvale_03 said:

A lad who's been at the club over half of his life, loved by fans and who only 4 weeks ago was running around Wembley stadium carrying a big trophy with a huge smile on his face now choosing to leave the club in a sideways move. 

I get the arguments about his injury record and trusting the process, but nobody is going to be able to sugarcoat this enough to make me think this reflects well on the club from an outside perspective. 

Could be that Gibbo just wants a fresh challenge and is leaving on high with his last Vale game being at Wembley. No different than Mal Benning leaving Mansfield for us.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

I wish Gibbo well for the future and I will give him a round of applause when he returns. However, just to counter all the doom and gloom, Gibbo has barely featured in a third of our games over the last two seasons and although, good going forward, he can switch off at times defensively. Recent examples of the latter include losing McKirdy on the corner for Swindon’s first goal of the playoff semi and his mistake early in the final which should have presented Mansfield with the lead. 
The club is bigger than any player and Gibbo is not irreplaceable. UTV

Edited by soothsayer
  • Like 4

I find it strange that a local home grown player who has been with for a number of years and is a guaranteed starter when fit would rather sign for a league rival that are miles away from his home town. I could understand a move if it was to a championship club or a championship club that has just been relegated to league 1 but for him to want to move to a club managed by Joey Barton that are miles away. Stone the crows. 

Advert:

1 hour ago, boslemportvale91 said:

Agreed. Hussey was the biggest disappointment for me. Another Zak Mills 2.0 

I'm not sure what's wrong with Jones I know he had an injury but didn't look himself in the last few games he played 

As for Martin. As I mentioned before , he's absolutely petrifying when he's playing  as he does a lot of stupid passes and needles tackles right near the box 

Bambie on ice thats the best description

• Like 1

With regard to building next season’s squad, my Dad had a favourite saying when he was doing a job and I interfered. He’d say “only fools and children see thing half done.”

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, TreacleValiant said:

I find it strange that a local home grown player who has been with for a number of years and is a guaranteed starter when fit would rather sign for a league rival that are miles away from his home town. I could understand a move if it was to a championship club or a championship club that has just been relegated to league 1 but for him to want to move to a club managed by Joey Barton that are miles away. Stone the crows. 

Is his lass local?