onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

We won just as many league games without Gibbo last season (and lost more with him).  I know there’s lies, damned lies and statistics but the stats for results at least show he may not be missed as much as some think ie his replacements had the same impact on the results.

However, if I’m being honest  even though the stats are there in black and white, they contradict why I always felt we were a better team with Gibbo starting or available from the bench.  It might be him being a local lad, coming through the ranks, always giving 100% effort and raising the atmosphere through whipping up the fans during games etc, all things not captured in numbers but are important to me as a fan.  So though I’ll be sad if he does decide to leave, I won’t be crestfallen and would be confident the process will have a replacement lined up with equal/better ability all be it without the same level of passion Gibbo obviously has for the game and club.

Advert

2 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Come on really? He’s come through the ranks (it’s highly likely he’s not one of the big earners because of that fact and his last contract was 3 years ago wasnt it now) and is trying to put a club out of existence because of his agent? Hes missed games through injury and he wants to be better paid than say the Tom Conlons, Dave Worralls, Tom Petts and James Wilson’s of the squad. Let’s at least credit a player with some common sense who’s been here a while. It just sounds like you just made that up in your head and are trying to pass it off as fact.

Is 2 weeks the usual period for a player to accept the contract in?

15 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Is 2 weeks the usual period for a player to accept the contract in?

Good question. I don’t know. There’s been no news so far from all 3 players. Maybe they were all on holiday and that’s taken some of that time up. 

Gibbo is a great example of why you shouldn't get too attached to players. If he leaves I would be more gutted than I have been for a long time that a player has moved on. I'll never forget his return to the side and the impact his energy had on the team down the left. One of his first touches (I think it was Colchester at home, just before he scored), he knocked the ball around their right back and  sprinted past him like he wasn't there.

I'll also miss his ability to cover multiple positions. Dropping Martin after the 1st leg against Swindon and putting Gibbo in the back 3 was a huge factor why we didn't concede in the 2nd leg at home and in the final (with a couple of bits of luck)

I won't be angry if he leaves but I would be disappointed if we don't get anything for him. Under previous owners it wouldn't surprise me if an oversight caused one of our best players to leave on a free but we have a shrewd and economically efficient business person at the helm and a DoF that is well-equipped at getting the best out of what we have.

Could be worse though, I hear Swindon Town are going to announce Scott Lindsey as their new...new manager today. He was their assistant manager last season. I don't share the obsession that some fans do knocking that club, but wow, that is some statement. Aimed for the stars, ended up in a ditch in the A3102.

EDIT: Spelling.

3 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Come on really? He’s come through the ranks (it’s highly likely he’s not one of the big earners because of that fact and his last contract was 3 years ago wasnt it now) and is trying to put a club out of existence because of his agent? Hes missed games through injury and he wants to be better paid than say the Tom Conlons, Dave Worralls, Tom Petts and James Wilson’s of the squad. Let’s at least credit a player with some common sense who’s been here a while. It just sounds like you just made that up in your head and are trying to pass it off as fact.

Gibbo would be expecting a bigger contract to put him in line with others due to his seniority, ability etc and that is not the problem and he should be. There will be a set rate DC and Flickers are working to and know when the agents are taking the michael with their demands.

However, what we don't know is how much his agent is saying he should be paid now.  Is the agent quoting silly wages and other demands?  This is why the process is there and glad it is down by others.  It will come out after the event and I am hoping Gibbo stays at Vale and helps the side build on and the dream carries on we get another promotion in a couple of years or three.  Sooner would be better 😁

41 minutes ago, PVFC764 said:

Gibbo would be expecting a bigger contract to put him in line with others due to his seniority, ability etc and that is not the problem and he should be. There will be a set rate DC and Flickers are working to and know when the agents are taking the michael with their demands.

However, what we don't know is how much his agent is saying he should be paid now.  Is the agent quoting silly wages and other demands?  This is why the process is there and glad it is down by others.  It will come out after the event and I am hoping Gibbo stays at Vale and helps the side build on and the dream carries on we get another promotion in a couple of years or three.  Sooner would be better 😁

Believe it or not the players know where they sit in the wage structure anyway without agents. So the players know what each other are getting. 

It’s a move that makes sense for all parties I reckon. Should be a very decent player for that level and for a manager who knows him well. Realistically if he could never challenge for a spot in our team in L2 even with an injury crisis he stood no chance in L1. All the best to him.

Reckon it’s a matter of time before Burgess and Crookes at least join him there too.

BBC Yorkshire reporting Alex Hurst has left the club and signing for JA at York.
Good move for all involved.

Got a lot of time for Alex, one of the only players who genuinely looked like he was trying to keep us in the league under Askey. Deserved his new deal when it was handed to him but in hindsight he was never going to play under DC.

Good luck and all the best Alex, you're going to a great club.

Archived