Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

4 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Hearing a few in the knows and people with links to the club saying that it was us offering him a low wage and not the fact that he wanted a big wage.

Rather than a low wage, I think it was more appearance based.

Advert:

Just now, mr.hobblesworth said:

Yep I’m hearing the same. We’ve basically told him he’s been injured for 2 years and this is all he’s getting. 

1 hour ago, WV said:

Gives 13 years of his life to Port Vale, leaves for unknown reason, then the idiots come out with things like this. get a grip. 

Who u calling a <ovf censored> idiot? 
I’ve not slated the club I’ve slated a player for leaving to a rival club that’s my opinion I’m obviously a lot more loyal than u 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Advert:

Posted (edited)

What an odd decision and I hope for his sake it’s not one he regrets. I could understand if he went to a top league 1 side / lower championship but this is a really odd sideways move to work under one of; if not the biggest <ovf censored> in English football. 

Obviously money talks, I heard earlier that our offer wasn’t exactly attractive and I do worry our very strict way of dealing and contracts could put off a few in this division. Obviously a very good player and we were much better with him in the side last season. Personally I don’t think he will thrive as much there as he did here, 13 years at the club - he’s always given me the impression he needs to really like the club and his passion will come out on the pitch. Only thing I can think from our side is that his injury record is bad, and is it woth pushing the boat out for a guy who will probably play 20ish games. 

Still, disappointed and find it odd that a player would want to leave after that promotion to another promoted side. 

<ovf censored> me he will get some reds under Barton 😂

Taylor going next. 

Edited by valiant_593
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

I can understand that, I heard it was a lot of appearances that would trigger a pay rise too. If another club potentially offered a guaranteed wage then that’s another factor to weigh up as well. If it were any of us in that position I’m sure it would have been a hard decision to make. Not sure I’d have the balls to do it if I’d been here so long. 

Edited by PV1973

49 minutes ago, jjvale_03 said:

I think it's because Gibbo was such a fan favourite - a bit of a throwback if you like - that people are so disappointed by this. He is replaceable on pure footballing ability but probably not so easily in terms of attitude, commitment, demanding high standards from his peers and his ability to galvanise a crowd.

If we haven't tried very hard to keep him at the club, then it's a big error of judgement in my opinion.

So what counts as ‘very hard’ to keep him’?  It’s one of those nothing comments like we had with the ‘deadwood’ last year, many of whom ‘could do a job’ in some peoples eyes - which is also a nothing comment.

It seems pretty  much a given that the way that the players and their families are treated is ‘second to none’ as a welcoming environment pretty much anywhere, and the player recovery/welfare/nutrition/rehab/training etc pretty much as good as you will find outside of the championship.

If you are talking financially, what is the figure you think the club should have offered Gibbo - £2k / £5k / £10k / per week / whatever it takes?

What would be your ‘walk away’ figure?  What if Gibbo just fancies a fresh challenge?  What if the amount Brizzle are offering is significantly above what we believe his true market value is?

I much prefer to trust our professionally run club and management team to make the right decision for the good of PVFC and put out the best value for money squad they can (as proved last summer and January - when many signings were bemoaned and yet delivered promotion against the odds) and not jeopardise our future for a frankly (very good) player who averages around 20 games a season!

• Like 9

1 minute ago, valiant_593 said:

What an odd decision and I hope for his sake it’s not one he regrets. I could understand if he went to a top league 1 side / lower championship but this is a really odd sideways move to work under one of; if not the biggest <ovf censored> in English football. 

Obviously money talks, I do worry our very strict way of dealing and contracts could put off a few in this division. Obviously a very good player and we were much better with him in the side last season. Personally I don’t think he will thrive as much there as he did here, 13 years at the club - he’s always given me the impression he needs to really like the club and his passion will come out on the pitch. Only thing I can think from our side is that his injury record is bad, and is it woth pushing the boat out for a guy who will probably play 20ish games. 

Still, disappointed and find it odd that a player would want to leave after that promotion to another promoted side. 

Taylor going next. 

I've seen a few mention Taylor leaving. Quite concerning as Conlon and Walker are still recovering from bad injuries are they not ? 

I don't fancy watching Aaron Martin playing midfield again if I'm honest 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Advert:

Really disappointed.  Lost 2 of our starting X1 at Wembley and possibly Taylor too ?

Let's be honest if they didn't play at that shack of a stadium Bristol could arguably get 12'000 gates easily .They'll have 9000 every week and are a big club. 

The only loyalty in football is the fans. Money talks. The way his career has gone who knows what will happen to him so he's taken the coin. 

Be no booing from me. A thunderous wholehearted player who gave his all. 

But Port Vale continues without Gibbo and we'll find a new hero. 

Good luck to him but I'm hopeful we'll have a replacement already lined up .

Keep the faith 

• Like 8

The previous injuries are irrelevant. We should have been looking forward to a future with Gibbo as a ball playing centreback (less attritional), freeing up our wingback. I don't see how we get someone else in who'd fit into the current squad as well as him for the money. I hope I'm proven wrong.

Just now, valiant_593 said:

Obviously money talks, I do worry our very strict way of dealing and contracts could put off a few in this division. Obviously a very good player and we were much better with him in the side last season. Personally I don’t think he will thrive as much there as he did here, 13 years at the club - he’s always given me the impression he needs to really like the club and his passion will come out on the pitch. Only thing I can think from our side is that his injury record is bad, and is it woth pushing the boat out for a guy who will probably play 20ish games. 

Taylor going next. 

I’m speculating as we all are but going to Rovers suggests he wasn’t flooded with offers to pay him a lot more than we were. If you’re from the north, Bristol is a pain to get to and from to see family etc.  

• Like 2

Odd that he reckons he wants a new challenge…League 1 alone is a challenge!

3 minutes ago, Jgpvfc said:

That's what I said.

Good luck to Gibbo. He owes us nothing,but the club have looked after him. 138 league games in 6 seasons. He's played the best footie of his career in his last season and I'll remember him for his commitment and footballing ability.

Surprised he's gone to Bristol but maybe they were the only team offering a 2 year deal.

Vale have Cass,the untried Robinson,and I remember at times that Benning filled in at RB(if he stays).

I'd prefer another couple of strikers and a keeper rather than a RB

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DazFred said:

Odd that he reckons he wants a new challenge…League 1 alone is a challenge!

That's what I said.

Good luck to Gibbo. He owes us nothing,but the club have looked after him. 138 league games in 6 seasons. He's played the best footie of his career in his last season and I'll remember him for his commitment and footballing ability.

Surprised he's gone to Bristol but maybe they were the only team offering a 2 year deal.

Vale have Cass,the untried Robinson,and I remember at times that Benning filled in at RB(if he stays).

I'd prefer another couple of strikers and a keeper rather than a RB

I’m pretty sure Stone will be our number 1 with the mad Brazilian as back up. Unfortunately.

• Haha 1

Advert:

1 minute ago, Jacko51 said:

What would the reaction have been on here if we had signed a player who had only started 27 league games out of the last 92?

We haven't signed Theo Robinson again have we?!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4