onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

Advert

I’d be very surprised if he goes to Wigan, especially as they have a decent right back who is also the captain. Gibbons would be going there as nothing more than backup.
At 24, being offered likely triple his current wage and potentially playing at a higher level? Wouldn't blame him one bit. He's nothing to prove at this level. Only worry for me is that here he will always get back into the team if he's out injured for a spell. If his current injury record continues at Wigan (or wherever he went) then he'd likely be thrown on the scrap heap.

55 minutes ago, philmpv said:
1 hour ago, Jgpvfc said:
I’d be very surprised if he goes to Wigan, especially as they have a decent right back who is also the captain. Gibbons would be going there as nothing more than backup.

At 24, being offered likely triple his current wage and potentially playing at a higher level? Wouldn't blame him one bit. He's nothing to prove at this level. Only worry for me is that here he will always get back into the team if he's out injured for a spell. If his current injury record continues at Wigan (or wherever he went) then he'd likely be thrown on the scrap heap.

Sums it up nicely. Not an easy decision. Could boil down to pay or play...

Just one query. You say he has nothing to prove at this level.

Has he played at the level we're now at?

I like Gibbo, I think on his day he's a great player for us & would obviously love him to sign back up with us... I do feel though that alot of Vale fans overbake the situation with him a little.

He is a good player, with a great mentality. You've got to remember though, he missed the vast majority of our promotion winning campaign & he was also out long term the season before. Not only this, but he can definitely improve defensively, not a criticism, but I'm sure he's aware that it's an area he can improve his game.

I'd be disappointed if we lost him, but I certainly wouldn't be devastated. Far too much smoke being blown for my liking. He's a steady league 1 player for me, with room for development. 

I hope he signs, but I won't be crying myself to sleep if he doesn't. I'm sure Vale will have offered him the best possible deal we can, so if that's not good enough, we move on.

Sums it up nicely. Not an easy decision. Could boil down to pay or play...
Just one query. You say he has nothing to prove at this level.
Has he played at the level we're now at?
He broke into the team under Bruno didn't he? Played well that season I thought (unless I've completely misremembered again!)

Edit: I have completely misremembered again. I'm going to have to see my quack as this is getting more and more frequent!

6 minutes ago, Walka003 said:
31 minutes ago, SalfordValiant said:
Can't see Wigan signing Gibbo. They have a wealthy owner and I think they'll be aiming for better.

I think he's a no brainer for any lower half championship team. He'd be cheap at 3x his current wages, he's young and on a free

He’s also only played 34 league games in the last two seasons and doesn’t have the best injury record. 
That said he’s too good for L2 and hopefully we’ll see if the same can be said of L1.

20 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

I like Gibbo, I think on his day he's a great player for us & would obviously love him to sign back up with us... I do feel though that alot of Vale fans overbake the situation with him a little.

He is a good player, with a great mentality. You've got to remember though, he missed the vast majority of our promotion winning campaign & he was also out long term the season before. Not only this, but he can definitely improve defensively, not a criticism, but I'm sure he's aware that it's an area he can improve his game.

I'd be disappointed if we lost him, but I certainly wouldn't be devastated. Far too much smoke being blown for my liking. He's a steady league 1 player for me, with room for development. 

I hope he signs, but I won't be crying myself to sleep if he doesn't. I'm sure Vale will have offered him the best possible deal we can, so if that's not good enough, we move on.

I’m as rose tinted as the next fan when it comes to rumours about players potentially going and then the standard subsequent dismissing of said player by fans as not good enough etc if they think he’s off. But I think a lot of what you say is wide of the mark. Last season he was by far one of the most influential players in the team in terms of how we played. I think he proved that in a lot of games with his general play, assists and a couple of goals too. I don’t see how thats up for debate unless games have been forgotten about? We were certainly worse off without him IMO and it unfortunately coincided with us also losing Conlon and Proctor as well at the  turn of the year. We changed our style of play with those players out, who were all big losses at that time. I think it’s fair to say that he had a much better season than Benning and Hussey (who on paper you would say should be first choice players).  Injury wise it’s a concern, the big one from the covid season pretty much wrote that one off and it carried over to the beginning of this one didn’t it, but the couple of niggly ones after Christmas didn’t put him out for too long did they?

I’m sure we will be able to find a replacement if he or the other 2 out of contract players were to go, in fact I’m sure we would probably have identified other potential targets anyway. It would be remiss not to. 

edit: Thinking back we lost Cass and Gibbo very close to each other with freak ankle injuries didn’t we.

25 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I’m as rose tinted as the next fan when it comes to rumours about players potentially going and then the standard subsequent dismissing of said player by fans as not good enough etc if they think he’s off. But I think a lot of what you say is wide of the mark. Last season he was by far one of the most influential players in the team in terms of how we played. I think he proved that in a lot of games with his general play, assists and a couple of goals too. I don’t see how thats up for debate unless games have been forgotten about? We were certainly worse off without him IMO and it unfortunately coincided with us also losing Conlon and Proctor as well at the  turn of the year. We changed our style of play with those players out, who were all big losses at that time. I think it’s fair to say that he had a much better season than Benning and Hussey (who on paper you would say should be first choice players).  Injury wise it’s a concern, the big one from the covid season pretty much wrote that one off and it carried over to the beginning of this one didn’t it, but the couple of niggly ones after Christmas didn’t put him out for too long did they?

I’m sure we will be able to find a replacement if he or the other 2 out of contract players were to go, in fact I’m sure we would probably have identified other potential targets anyway. It would be remiss not to. 

edit: Thinking back we lost Cass and Gibbo very close to each other with freak ankle injuries didn’t we.

1 hour ago, Walka003 said:
1 hour ago, SalfordValiant said:
Can't see Wigan signing Gibbo. They have a wealthy owner and I think they'll be aiming for better.

I think he's a no brainer for any lower half championship team. He'd be cheap at 3x his current wages, he's young and on a free

Injuries would put me off signing him as a championship side. Played majority of games in league 2 as well not sure I’d take a punt on him. (And I hope nobody does( For me his level at the moment is league 1. Whether that be with us or a bigger side I’m not sure. One thing is for sure, we looked 10x the side when he was playing last season whether that be at LWB or RWB. 

56 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I'm certainly not saying he's not good enough. I'm just not sure he's this nailed on Championship starter just yet. He's a good player. It's hard to be as influential as you say he has been, given his injury record over the past couple of years.

I do hope he signs, but it's not the end of the world if he doesn't IMO.

Archived