Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

Advert:

1 minute ago, jjvale_03 said:

I think it's because Gibbo was such a fan favourite - a bit of a throwback if you like - that people are so disappointed by this. He is replaceable on pure footballing ability but probably not so easily in terms of attitude, commitment, demanding high standards from his peers and his ability to galvanise a crowd.

If we haven't tried very hard to keep him at the club, then it's a big error of judgement in my opinion.

I agree, but the thing is, none of us know how hard we tried to keep him and more importantly if he even wanted to stay. Sometimes in life you just want a new challenge and footballers are no different. 

• Like 5

Obviously, he didn't want to stay. Good player despite his injury record. No point paying over the odds  and breaking the wage structure. Good luck Gibbo. 
If the wage structure can't compete with a fellow promoted team for one of our best players, someone who has a deep connection with the club, what are we even aiming for next year.
  • Like 1

Advert:

Disappointed Gibbo's going but football's only a short career and he's got to do what he thinks best for himself and his family. I think he always gave 100% in a Vale shirt and that's all anyone can expect. Best of luck to him in the future!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If the wage structure can't compete with a fellow promoted team for one of our best players, someone who has a deep connection with the club, what are we even aiming for next year.
Or simply he is worth more to them than us. We could have competed but chose not too as we felt our budget would be better spent elsewhere.
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

What a puzzling sideways move.

Must be utterly daft money considering his injury record. On average he's played 22 league games a season.

Edited by Doha
  • Like 1

Advert:

12 minutes ago, Walka003 said:
13 minutes ago, valeparklife said:
He's not our best player though is he?
Really weird move. They must be paying him a fortune. 
I'd say we didn't want to offer what Rovers were paying with his injury record, whilst they were prepared to gamble.

He is certainly up there and we were a much better team with him in. Embarrassing to lose him to a promoted team, big questions for DF to answer for me. We're miles off it so far this summer

It’s simple. Numbers have  to stack up for us to be a sustainable club. I don’t see how it’s embarrassing to loose him to Bristol. They have a much much bigger budget than us so will pay a lot more wages than us. You only have to look at the signings they made when in L2 to see the that.

Trust in DF to replace him. If we failed to do that at the end of the transfer window then yes questions need to be answered. Time will tell but DF’s record is excellent and should be given the benefit of any doubt.

• Like 4

Or simply he is worth more to them than us. We could have competed but chose not too as we felt our budget would be better spent elsewhere.
I guess we'll never know. But DF needs to pull his finger out now.
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, boslemportvale91 said:

I've noticed he's put his twitter on private. I'm annoyed and disappointed as anyone I just hope certain fans are hurting abuse at him about his decision 

bit harsh.  sad as it is to see him go, he's changed employer for a payrise....!

• Like 2

Advert: