Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

Advert:

6 grands probably about the going rate for a top half player in league 1.
No league 1 player is worth that money and those that are paying it (Wednesday, Ipswich etc) are paying way over the odds in my opinion. These are still 3rd division footballers ultimately, no matter how much you pay them.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No league 1 player is worth that money and those that are paying it (Wednesday, Ipswich etc) are paying way over the odds in my opinion. These are still 3rd division footballers ultimately, no matter how much you pay them.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

The market dictates what they are worth. If you want to compete at the top half of league 1, 6 grands probably the price you're looking at.

“The average weekly salary is estimated to be between £1,700 and £2,500 per week. This comes to between £88,400 and £130,00 per year.

In a leaked document by the Daily Mail, it was revealed that the average highest earner on each club was £4,753 per week or £247,188 per year. 

In 2020, Sunderland’s Aiden McGeady and Lincoln City’s Morgan Rogers were joint top of the League 1 salary table. Both players earn £19,000 per week or about ten grand shy of a million pounds per year.”

I’d heard a similar rumour about players being shown round last week but it was half a dozen players from some club in Wiltshire wanting their photo taken by the playoff trophy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

“The average weekly salary is estimated to be between £1,700 and £2,500 per week. This comes to between £88,400 and £130,00 per year.

In a leaked document by the Daily Mail, it was revealed that the average highest earner on each club was £4,753 per week or £247,188 per year. 

In 2020, Sunderland’s Aiden McGeady and Lincoln City’s Morgan Rogers were joint top of the League 1 salary table. Both players earn £19,000 per week or about ten grand shy of a million pounds per year.”

how-much-do-footballers-get-paid.jpg SQAF.CLUB

I’d heard a similar rumour about players being shown round last week but it was half a dozen players from some club in Wiltshire wanting their photo taken by the playoff trophy.

Lincoln paying 19k a week is absolutely mental

That report is a few years old, but it gives an indication of what its going to cost to compete

Advert:

I think a lot of salary information was posted when the now defunct salary caps were brought in for L1 and 2.  This link lists top 100 individual player salaries for 2020.

Surprisingly, to me at least, Fleetwood had 3 players earning ~ £15k/week.  Did n’t realise they had the fan base/income to support that kind of expenditure.  

Puts into context our bonus supplemented  ‘cap’/wage structure last season of just under £2k and how difficult it is/will be for Carol et al to prioritise and fund progression on the pitch and off it (stadium improvements etc aren’t cheap) this season and beyond.

8 minutes ago, Trumpingtonvale said:

I think a lot of salary information was posted when the now defunct salary caps were brought in for L1 and 2.  This link lists top 100 individual player salaries for 2020.

Surprisingly, to me at least, Fleetwood had 3 players earning ~ £15k/week.  Did n’t realise they had the fan base/income to support that kind of expenditure.  

Puts into context our bonus supplemented  ‘cap’/wage structure last season of just under £2k and how difficult it is/will be for Carol et al to prioritise and fund progression on the pitch and off it (stadium improvements etc aren’t cheap) this season and beyond.

Aren't Fleetwood bankrolled to a certain extent ? They have had 3 high profile names as managers , Rosler, Barton and now Brown who won't be on peanuts. 

Going back to transfers, it's a fine balance for our recruitment, to get the right fit and character along with the right package for the player.

I hope we have an incentive based one like last season, maybe aim high, top 10 and get extra bonuses ? 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Trumpingtonvale said:

Fleetwood's owner Andy Pilley is bankrolling them. Pretty sure they opened a £10m training ground not to long again.

I agree with you though, i think the numbers on those lists will be lower than now as well. If the average highest earner in 2020 was £4,750 without bonuses, we would need to 2.5x our wage cap to hit the average 3 seasons ago.

Edited by Walka003

Advert:

It's not a BIG league when it comes to wages.

Accrington, Cheltenham, Cambridge, Fleetwood, Morecambe, Exeter, Forest Green, Burton.

Nearly half the league (above) that we will be competitive with when it comes to wages.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We can't (and with Carol in charge, won't I'm sure) go splashing out wages that we can't afford to try to buy success. The matrix so far has bought in players like Garrity that other clubs didn't rate, that's got to be the way we go. No point being in the Championship for a season if we go bust the season after.

Edited by gavcradd
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

6 grand a week becomes significantly more at payroll time when the club also have to make doubled dipped secondary NI and pension contributions on that 6 grand. Possibly an extra 6 grand a month more depending on pension percentage. 

Employers NICs is over 15% 😳

Edited by Doha
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Walka003 said:

If the average highest earner in 2020 was £4,750 without bonuses, we would need to 2.5x our wage cap to hit the average 3 seasons ago.

But if the top two were £19k each, that massively skews the average (assuming we're looking at a mean, rather than median, across the 24 highest earners), and leaves the average top earner across the other 22 at around £3,500. With a bit of an increase this year, we're not going to be a million miles off that for our top earner, and given we are fairly equitable with our salaries (smaller range), our average salary won't be far off the estimated band quoted (certainly not the lower end). 

I wonder if our bonus package is one thing that has delayed announcements, as contracts signed last year would have the bonus structure based on promotion from L2, so there has to be an element of collective renegotiation of the bonuses, as well as negotiating salary for any new contracts. That could mean only being able to finalise terms once all players are back and have agreed the new add-on package?

• Like 1

Advert:

4 minutes ago, Doha said:

6 grand a week becomes significantly more at payroll time when the club also have to make doubled dipped secondary NI and pension contributions on that 6 grand. Possibly an extra 6 grand a month more depending on pension percentage. 

Employers NICs is over 15% 😳

Yes, I’ve often thought this myself, possibly the figures quoted are the gross amount.  Also it’s not often clear if these figures are a basic wage, most clubs having their own bonus/incentive schemes, so some of the quoted wages could balloon even more, or, conversely, be the absolute max said player could earn.  In our case there was a figure of circa £1850, topped up by performance related add ons.  Insane, but possible, the £19k Lincoln are paying could actually be much greater than that.

Posted (edited)

That £19k figure -

Lincoln haven't been in Div 2 / the Championship since 1961. 

http://www.englishfootballleaguetables.co.uk/club/lincoln.html

Sincil Bank is half the capacity of Vale Park.

Over a million quid incl employers NICs and presumed bonuses etc per annum on a single player? Really?

I don't know anything about them, do they have an owner donating to the club or massive transfer addon money coming in or something? Genuine question. A generous owner can of course donate whatever they want perfectly legitimately in accordance with league rules. Look how much capitol Carol had to inject/throw away to make up Covid shortfalls.

Edited by Doha