onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

4 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

I had that view from November last year after seeing him play from the beginning of the season and my opinion hasn't changed after watching every game last season and this.

Take away Garrity's goals and his all round game last season was barely Lge 2 standard IMO, he had 1 assist last year having started 42 games and played 3608 mins. In the stretch of "AC's games" when both Conlon and Taylor were out there was no creativity or pattern of play and only brilliance from Wilson and/or good fortune kept Vale picking up points, Garrity was anonymous unless he scored.

Vale were virtually playing 3-4-3 last season as Garrity played so far forward, most of his goals came from within the 6yd box, none from outside the 18 yd box from what I recall. When he didn't score in games he contributed little apart from vigor.

Because he played so far forward,  when Vale were attacking and the ball was turned over it left Vale very open to the counter, in Lge 2 most teams didn't have the players to exploit it but it may be different in Lge 1. This was illustrated by the last 3 goals conceded vs Brentford, hopefully very few Lge 1 teams will have players like Mbeuno who punished us on the counter.

Unless Garrity scores goals in Lge 1 I think he will struggle in midfield as his overalll game may not be technically good enough, only time will tell. Hence I was surprised when Taylor was allowed to leave as he can do everything Garrity does and is much better technically.  

However from Youtube videos etc Ben Garrity gets a 12/10 for enthusiasm, hard work, devotion to the cause and he comes over as a great guy. If 600k is on the table from Peterborough I would snap their hands off, if it was 100k I would tell them to go away as Garrity can make himself useful in a number of positions.  I would like nothing more than Ben Garrity to prove me wrong.

I'll get me tin hat.

I don’t think a CM with 12 goals last season needs to prove anyone wrong. He proved is worth, I get you what you mean about technical ability, (I thought he got better throughout the season) but goal scoring midfielders are so hard to find, especially ones who can press the forwards as well as he does. Massively under rated imo. 

Advert

19 minutes ago, Emile said:

Fair enough, who would you put him in above?

Only my opinion of course and we all have preferences but for me I would have Garrity and Conlon always starting and that would leave Walker/Pett/Charlsley and Ojo to battle for the other spot,what this does show is that we have a decent choice of midfielders

The notion that Posh might take him again emphasises the different levels in this league.

It's great that we are competing in league one again, and that we have made massive strides in the last 18 months.

It's also crystal clear that we still have a long way to go and what a shambles the club was.

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

100% and this is the model we are now following(some might not like it) develop a player who might be a bit raw to sell on and then reinvest some  of the cash and the cycle continues,as a club we can progress by doing this(others have)

This was the Rudgie model 

4 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

I had that view from November last year after seeing him play from the beginning of the season and my opinion hasn't changed after watching every game last season and this.

Take away Garrity's goals and his all round game last season was barely Lge 2 standard IMO, he had 1 assist last year having started 42 games and played 3608 mins. In the stretch of "AC's games" when both Conlon and Taylor were out there was no creativity or pattern of play and only brilliance from Wilson and/or good fortune kept Vale picking up points, Garrity was anonymous unless he scored.

Vale were virtually playing 3-4-3 last season as Garrity played so far forward, most of his goals came from within the 6yd box, none from outside the 18 yd box from what I recall. When he didn't score in games he contributed little apart from vigor.

Because he played so far forward,  when Vale were attacking and the ball was turned over it left Vale very open to the counter, in Lge 2 most teams didn't have the players to exploit it but it may be different in Lge 1. This was illustrated by the last 3 goals conceded vs Brentford, hopefully very few Lge 1 teams will have players like Mbeuno who punished us on the counter.

Unless Garrity scores goals in Lge 1 I think he will struggle in midfield as his overalll game may not be technically good enough, only time will tell. Hence I was surprised when Taylor was allowed to leave as he can do everything Garrity does and is much better technically.  

However from Youtube videos etc Ben Garrity gets a 12/10 for enthusiasm, hard work, devotion to the cause and he comes over as a great guy. If 600k is on the table from Peterborough I would snap their hands off, if it was 100k I would tell them to go away as Garrity can make himself useful in a number of positions.  I would like nothing more than Ben Garrity to prove me wrong.

I'll get me tin hat.

With respect, Paul, when you watch games on telly you only see what the cameraman wants you to see and don’t get the bigger picture. If I watch my garden through the letter box I might see the dog running up and down but not the cat in the bushes ready to pounce if it sees the chance. 

23 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

With respect, Paul, when you watch games on telly you only see what the cameraman wants you to see and don’t get the bigger picture. If I watch my garden through the letter box I might see the dog running up and down but not the cat in the bushes ready to pounce if it sees the chance. 

As a ex player myself(obviously not garritys level) that’s a great point u make 👍

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

What is the cat waiting for Jacko?!!!

So some fans think Garrity is not ready for the first division and so should be sold if someone is interested. If that was true why would Peterborough be interested in him, a club with a great reputation for buying and selling players even further up the food chain for a good profit. Garrity to stay for me.

Only my opinion of course and we all have preferences but for me I would have Garrity and Conlon always starting and that would leave Walker/Pett/Charlsley and Ojo to battle for the other spot,what this does show is that we have a decent choice of midfielders

Yep that's fair. I think i would go with Ojo and Pett alongside Conlon.

Still wouldn't want to loose Garrity if possible 

I'm looking forward to seeing how the team/ sub replacements evolve in all departments.

I think we've got some really good options.

8 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

Nothing in the Garrity rumour, if he starts today, maybe??

Maybe something in it, if he doesn't start??

I will say one thing, if nothing else, Paul has stopped the great "how tall should a goalie be" debate - NICE 😍😍😍😍😍

6 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

I'll get me tin hat.

Agree with you on this one Paul.. JohnJeffers needs to calm down a little, yours is a balanced opinion of a players performances of 40 + games.

I would add that a fee would need to be a  decent one for the Vale and yes we would need to replace him immediately and that would cost us. We have too few goals from our midfield players and need more.

Garrity was the key to our promotion last year. He scored goals first half of season and won us points. His effort is 100% in most games but i too feel that he does not offer enough skill, clever football etc for a midfield player in league 1. If his goals do dry up, playing against better defenders he could struggle and the Vale would struggle. We need goals from midfield

Coming from nothing, were Garrity, goals a fluke ? Really hope he proves me and you wrong. Hope he scores today and his man of the match. Another 10  + goals and he is worth £ million. He gets my support EVERY game, as they all do but i can have an opinion.

What is wrong is when other posters wont accept this sort of opinion. Its not an attack on Garrity. Its a balanced opinion. 

Archived