onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

All the outgoing decent players seem like a mistake after a loss. All the incoming players look like upgrades after a win. Nobody mentioned Taylor after Fleetwood. It wasn’t a mistake to move on from the players we’ve no longer got, but they need replacing. The timing has no doubt had an impact on the short term, but they’ll be replaced by the end of the window. I worry how many games we’ll play short handed before then and how many points that will translate into losing. If we put out our best 11 fully fit and end up losing against teams with bigger budgets and better quality, there’s no shame in that, but we can’t just drop points because of copious injuries and gaps and say oh well that’s our philosophy and it’ll turn around, because it’s in our hands to control that.

Advert

38 minutes ago, andy jones said:

What club, with a similar playing budget as ourselves, have signed a striker that would have genuinely improved us, i.e. not a freebie?

There’s been quite a few signings by similar clubs to ourselves that would have certainly improved us. Being a freebie or not is irrelevant 

20 minutes ago, tisdeano said:

If Askey had remained quite possible

Agreed. I don’t feel the process was why we stayed up though. We needed an immediate improvement which we got from a fantastic manager in DC, process has since improved us drastically but at such an early point all about DC IMO  

12 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

3rd and 4th games of the season already this week. I meant "start of the season" not 4 games in. 

That’s my worry, it’s all good us waiting and waiting but we can all see how short we are, we could end August struggling in the table and then be playing catch up. I’m sure I heard a stat last night on MOTD that newly promoted sides have stayed up 96% of the time when they have got 8 points from the first 5 games. I just think the start is important, I know some down played the Fleetwood game but I think given our current squad situation, that’s a huge 3 points.  I just hope we don’t wait and wait, find another target to then get beaten to them. 

25 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

3rd and 4th games of the season already this week. I meant "start of the season" not 4 games in. 

Why not close transfers before the season starts then? The overlap is for clubs to carry on shuffling for another month,  Leicester have not signed one player and have lost a few, and more to go. In comparison I am quite relaxed and not a £100M at stake. Patience.

19 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

There’s been quite a few signings by similar clubs to ourselves that would have certainly improved us. Being a freebie or not is irrelevant 

Also they are not "freabies" , they are players mostly out of contract , there will be signing on fees etc 

18 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Why not close transfers before the season starts then? The overlap is for clubs to carry on shuffling for another month,  Leicester have not signed one player and have lost a few, and more to go. In comparison I am quite relaxed and not a £100M at stake. Patience.

You are missing the point. I am aware that the transfer window traditionally closes after the start of the season, so are most clubs I expect. What I was trying to say was that it was a sensible approach to the season to start with 11 fit players, one for each position and then chop and change the supporting players if necessary so that you have a back up for each position. 

49 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Agreed. I don’t feel the process was why we stayed up though. We needed an immediate improvement which we got from a fantastic manager in DC, process has since improved us drastically but at such an early point all about DC IMO  

That’s my worry, it’s all good us waiting and waiting but we can all see how short we are, we could end August struggling in the table and then be playing catch up. I’m sure I heard a stat last night on MOTD that newly promoted sides have stayed up 96% of the time when they have got 8 points from the first 5 games. I just think the start is important, I know some down played the Fleetwood game but I think given our current squad situation, that’s a huge 3 points.  I just hope we don’t wait and wait, find another target to then get beaten to them. 

V593, that stat was what they stated but I think that was just based on the EPL. 

20 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

You are missing the point. I am aware that the transfer window traditionally closes after the start of the season, so are most clubs I expect. What I was trying to say was that it was a sensible approach to the season to start with 11 fit players, one for each position and then chop and change the supporting players if necessary so that you have a back up for each position. 

I wouldn’t say that was the “approach” we took.  Possibly with a couple of loans maybe.   Maybe you can explain your thinking there.  The approach, in my view, would’ve been no different to any other season, ie. to get players in before the pre-season trip, Spain, or, next best, prior to the season kicking off.  For whatever reason this didn’t happen with some of our targets.  That’s life.  The current approach is to focus between now and end of August on the positions where we’re light.  Common sense would suggest the approach will be to sign those targets as soon as possible, but it’ll be what it’ll be.

The only position we couldn’t technically fill in the first game was that of the injured James Wilson.  On Saturday we also had our first choice RWB out, but theoretically we have plenty of cover there with Robinson, Cass, and the unfit Massey.

6 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

I wouldn’t say that was the “approach” we took.  Possibly with a couple of loans maybe.   Maybe you can explain your thinking there.  The approach, in my view, would’ve been no different to any other season, ie. to get players in before the pre-season trip, Spain, or, next best, prior to the season kicking off.  For whatever reason this didn’t happen with some of our targets.  That’s life.  The current approach is to focus between now and end of August on the positions where we’re light.  Common sense would suggest the approach will be to sign those targets as soon as possible, but it’ll be what it’ll be.

The only position we couldn’t technically fill in the first game was that of the injured James Wilson.  On Saturday we also had our first choice RWB out, but theoretically we have plenty of cover there with Robinson, Cass, and the unfit Massey.

I didn't say that was the approach we took either. 

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

I like that stat.

What % of them stayed up when they didn’t get 8 points from the first 5 games?

If it’s still high then it may overplay the importance of those first 5.

2 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Ray, I have to ask the question about leaving signings so late, if they’re not playing first team football now then to get match fit will take even longer. So anyone we sign who isn’t playing at the moment will then need another couple of weeks at the least to be ready for selection. That’ll be six weeks into the season.

Archived