onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

4 minutes ago, WV said:

I think the promises of riches in football played a big part. He said half stopped at his and half at Bennells. Never mentioned this on here before but Dario told me the only thing he had done wrong was knowing benell was a wrong one and not do anything about it. 

The cynic in me would suggest he would say that.  It is a transfer rumour thread so we best move on.

Advert

14 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

What’s the number 40 got to do with owt?  

Your “rich” clubs could sign 40 players on more than we can offer.  They will have a wage structure which blows us out of the water.  Their average wage will be greater than ours, and their highest paid players will be on a much greater salary than ours.  If they have 4 or 5 strikers you can bet they’re on more than we can pay, assuming they’re established players rather than say a young upcoming player.  These teams can pay a transfer fee way above what would be sensible for us.  There’s just no comparison.  Some of these teams are still looking for players, and everyone is fishing in the same pond.

40 was an extreme example. And all of your post depends on them conforming to FFP? 

37 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Lowrey to Portsmouth so that puts that one to bed.

Very strange 11pm announcement time! 

The beauty of a rumours thread ! 

Probably never ever anything in it.

My lard friend was telling me that The Bloatcake has gone into meltdown as their rumour mill and twitterati had Liam Delap announced yesterday and guess what....nothing. 

It is good though seeing names bandied about. 

9 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Without wishing to cast any aspersions, stories like this make me feel sick.  When has it ever been “normal” for kids to stop the night with a single bloke?  I might be going out on a limb here but parents must take some responsibility.  Not a chance in hell I’d let my kids stay the night at the home of a teacher for example.

Yes absolutely right. Homes of an otherwise unknown person are completely out of bounds. I'd expect a professional organisation to have professional arrangements which might be some type of hostel situation or say a hotel / B&B arrangement. I guess parents can still get misled but they must go the extra mile to find everything out about the situation. 

There is a power game where the wrong ones involved in the football club raise the hopes of the young players that they can follow their dream. That can be of the ilk that you must do what we tell you in our academy or you are out. Meanwhile the parents have to protect the children whilst not crushing their dreams by stopping them doing something that actually might be a good roadway in life. 

If a parent lived in Crewe then surely they can bring their child to the academy events and avoid overnight stays. Or allow an evening event but take them home before bedtime. No reasonable academy should object to this and if they do it's a signal something is amiss. 

Given the very low level of success of all academies in producing professional footballers - at the end of the day the population of active professional footballers is small and the population of kids playing football is high - a better route maybe the type of coaching that takes place outside of academies and associated with local teams. Is it actually inferior in real life? Won't the child also stay focused on other academic and social development in a better way?

9 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

You’d guess that’d boil down to money, if we were actually interested in signing him.

Despite what was rumoured on here I doubt we were ever in for him anyway so its not one we missed out on

Teams like Portsmouth will always blow us out of the water cash wise though as you say

38 minutes ago, tsproston said:

Lowery was not the signing we needed. Rory Holden will be that player for us.

Still need 2 strikers. I think there is a bid on the table and a club holding out to see if they can get a better offer. 

Saw enough of Holden v Fleetwood to think he is a good player at League 1 level. He also looked fit and ready to play. I think he can play as a forward midfield player that plays off a main striker such as Proctor and may even be an ideal player for an away game like Exeter if it's intended to play counter attacking football and soak up the home team's pressure. 

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Lowrey to Portsmouth so that puts that one to bed.

Very strange 11pm announcement time! 

Evidence suggests he is a good League 1 level player. But it's not a player that has me quaking in my boots and its not a player that will ultimately take Portsmouth back to the Premier League if they get promoted this year. 

43 minutes ago, tsproston said:

Lowery was not the signing we needed. Rory Holden will be that player for us.

Still need 2 strikers. I think there is a bid on the table and a club holding out to see if they can get a better offer. 

I do think that's part of the problem(bids on the table) and thats why its a waiting game no matter how frustrating that is.

I agree with you about Holden(just got to hope he stays fit) so not that fussed about Lowery(even though he is a good player),I am just hoping that one of the bids is for the rumoured Simpson who impressed me in clips last season,big,strong and has pace oh and can score(plus it would wind the Swindon fans up more). You would expect one of the strikers to be a young loan as well,this is why i still think we will try to bring 3 forwards in

Archived