onevalefan.co.uk Presentย Pastย Specialsย Aboutย Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

2 minutes ago, Warren said:

Maybe we will regret him dribbling Fleetwood's defence, scoring a goal in the corner of the net and smashing an accurate 60 yard cross field pass!

yes he was a pillock doing that ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Advert

1 minute ago, andy jones said:

We pull in a record breaking 8,000 home fans. Derby got 31,000.ย 

Obviously Derby have the biggest playing budget but whose fans are happiest us or Derby?

I, like most, look at where our club is now both on and off the pitch compared to the pre-Shanahan nightmares and thank God that 'we are where we are' to coin, and invert, an oft used Bratt phrase.ย 

Personally, I have never, in my 65 years of being a supporter, been prouder or happier with how our club is being run.

Even the Rudgie glory years because deep down I knew they couldn't last because the club was not progressing off the pitch like it was on it.

There's no doubt we will bring in a couple of strikers it's just whether they are the ones DC and DF really want.

ย 

great post mate, couldnt agree more

8 minutes ago, andy jones said:

Surely the ethos of the club is to find talent, develop it, and sell it on at a profit like the Rudge years.ย 

The difference being any profit now goes into further developing and progressing the club not an owners bank balance.

I think I'm completely on board with this. However, the club has to develop to a stage where it can inherently sustain football at at the level we aspire to with the Championship ready model. What often happens with clubs at our level is the development of a team that progresses to a higher level and stays there for a while but gradually the key players get signed by other clubs or simply age and the level can't be sustained. Sometimes replacement players are signed on wages that can't be afforded and a really big demise occurs. Both Bury and Chesterfield come to mind with that.ย 

But I think we are going about it the right way under good ownership and management and no matter that it still isn't an easy road ahead.ย 

Surely the ethos of the club is to find talent, develop it, and sell it on at a profit like the Rudge years.ย 
The difference being any profit now goes into further developing and progressing the club not an owners bank balance.
Spot on....Unfortunately in this day and age of everything being instant there is a generation who demand success overnight.

1 hour ago, andy jones said:

Obviously Derby have the biggest playing budget but whose fans are happiest us or Derby?

I, like most, look at where our club is now both on and off the pitch compared to the pre-Shanahan nightmares and thank God that 'we are where we are' to coin, and invert, an oft used Bratt phrase.ย 

Personally, I have never, in my 65 years of being a supporter, been prouder or happier with how our club is being run.

Even the Rudgie glory years because deep down I knew they couldn't last because the club was not progressing off the pitch like it was on it.

There's no doubt we will bring in a couple of strikers it's just whether they are the ones DC and DF really want.

ย 

Well said AJ.

Couldnt have said it better m8

It's refreshing to see discussions that acknowledge the complexities of developing and maintaining a football club, at any level, and the consequent need for acceptance, tolerance and patience.

It's an approach required when things are stable; people have to be trusted and given time.

Very different from dealing with the likes of the previous owners.

1 hour ago, andy jones said:

ย 

At last theย  legacy of the Rudge years, the Lorne St stand,ย  is nearing completionย  and will now provide more income to run the football club.

2 hours ago, andy jones said:

Correct, the only fly in the ointment is that all the other teams are trying the same thing.

Itโ€™s a lot different from the JR times now, massively changed in fact. ย Bosman changed things, then youโ€™ve got academies hoovering up young players. ย As weโ€™ve seen, our biggest sales in recent times have been young kids whoโ€™ve been nowhere near the first team. ย Non league is full of these players, so I guess nowadays your average โ€œnon league gemโ€ may well have spent 10 years in an academy. ย On the flip side, scouting is much easier in the digital age, with footage readily available and recruitment teams to dissect the data.

Ultimately Rudgie couldnโ€™t keep pulling rabbits out of the hat and the inevitable sale of star players, without the bulk of that money being reinvested in the squad, did for us.

Slightly off tack, in my minds eye I can see a time, hopefully not too far distant, when the ground has been refurbished to a far greater extent, and at that point weโ€™ll be in a great place to build the team on the pitch, with a far bigger percentage of our revenue available to be spent in that direction rather than having to be used to make up for the years of chronic neglect the stadium has suffered prior to our current owners taking up the reins. ย I would add that we shouldnโ€™t forget that Carol and Kev are investing some of their own money to speed up this process. ย Full marks to them, yet again.

42 minutes ago, robf said:

I'd agree with all that @Guitar Rayย There's also the work on the academy to try and develop/expand our own supply of youngsters too.ย 

At one time Crwho weโ€™re masters of this , with the amount of talent that went from their academy to the premier league , must have made an absolute fortune. Does makes you wonder though , where all that money went . ย Gradi and Bowler ?ย 

20 minutes ago, aspin for england said:

At one time Crwho weโ€™re masters of this , with the amount of talent that went from their academy to the premier league , must have made an absolute fortune. Does makes you wonder though , where all that money went . ย Gradi and Bowler ?ย 

Costs a lot to run an academy like that. If we were to follow that model or something similar it would take years to implement and even longer for us to get any real gain out of. Iโ€™d love us to do it, but at the moment Iโ€™d prefer if funds are invested into the team to ensure we can consolidate as a league 1 club again.ย 

1 hour ago, aspin for england said:

I read somewhere that the Crewe academy costs around ยฃ500,000 to run each year. And wasn't Dario getting 10% or 20% on each sale too?

21 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

I read somewhere that the Crewe academy costs around ยฃ500,000 to run each year. And wasn't Dario getting 10% or 20% on each sale too?

I think thatโ€™s correct. Crewe are a category 2 academy whereas Vale I believe are category 3. It does cost quite a bit to make the step up and millions to reach category 1.ย 

Archived