onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

2 hours ago, LancyTony said:

It's not spot on, though. Once Derby and the other "rich" clubs have signed their quota of strikers, that level of salary is taken off the table, and the strikers not yet signed up will not get those wages from EFL1 / 2. 

Fair comment, but some of those “rich” clubs are still looking at signing players, and will continue to do so right up until the window closes, which, using your reckoning, will mean that level of salary is still very much on the table for certain players.

Advert

22 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Fair comment, but some of those “rich” clubs are still looking at signing players, and will continue to do so right up until the window closes, which, using your reckoning, will mean that level of salary is still very much on the table for certain players.

Yes - but they can't sign 40 players at those wage levels...probably no more than 3 strikers? They still have to conform with FFP.

Personally, I'm not sure we need Lowery, as good as a player he is. I think we're stacked in midfield - if we continue with a midfield 3, we already have Conlon, Pett, Walker, Ojo, Garrity, Charsley, Holden and McDermott. That's 8 very different players vying for 3 positions. 

I'd prefer us to look at another CB, alongside some forwards and a GK (obviously!).

It seems Cass and Forrester would compete for the RCB role, Hall and Jones for the LCB, but we only really have Smith for the middle CB. I can't imagine Big Derek playing much this season?

Aaron Pierre is still available I believe, and someone I've always admired. Good age and experience to complement our younger defenders. Would add some power into the back line for sure.

12 hours ago, SFBT said:

Reading articles on Bristol Rovers suggest they're all over the place with their squad. Releasing 3 experienced players, one who signed a two year contract in June, replacing with Academy kids.

Fleetwood's manager saying he got his tactics wrong, and now that he picked the wrong team.

We might be playing a waiting game, but the stability of the squad, management and support staff allows us to take our time.

Another example of the benefits of long term planning.

Sorry SFBT, not meaning to pick on you, I promise. 

I have just read the same article and I do not get that at all. They seem to have done to the squad exactly what we have done this pre season and currently in the same position with the squad that we are in regards to trying for new signings

17 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

Sorry SFBT, not meaning to pick on you, I promise. 

I have just read the same article and I do not get that at all. They seem to have done to the squad exactly what we have done this pre season and currently in the same position with the squad that we are in regards to trying for new signings

That's fine 😊

10 hours ago, LancyTony said:

Yes - but they can't sign 40 players at those wage levels...probably no more than 3 strikers? They still have to conform with FFP.

What’s the number 40 got to do with owt?  

Your “rich” clubs could sign 40 players on more than we can offer.  They will have a wage structure which blows us out of the water.  Their average wage will be greater than ours, and their highest paid players will be on a much greater salary than ours.  If they have 4 or 5 strikers you can bet they’re on more than we can pay, assuming they’re established players rather than say a young upcoming player.  These teams can pay a transfer fee way above what would be sensible for us.  There’s just no comparison.  Some of these teams are still looking for players, and everyone is fishing in the same pond.

12 minutes ago, Warren said:

If I was a Championship side with defensive need I would be looking at Hall closely before the transfer window closes. That's especially true if the need is a left sided player which are harder to find.

Give us 3 million and they can have him .

9 minutes ago, Hoppers said:

Yes - Iv wondered if someone could be off since we signed Forrester 🙄

Maybe we will regret him dribbling Fleetwood's defence, scoring a goal in the corner of the net and smashing an accurate 60 yard cross field pass!

We pull in a record breaking 8,000 home fans. Derby got 31,000. 

Obviously Derby have the biggest playing budget but whose fans are happiest us or Derby?

I, like most, look at where our club is now both on and off the pitch compared to the pre-Shanahan nightmares and thank God that 'we are where we are' to coin, and invert, an oft used Bratt phrase. 

Personally, I have never, in my 65 years of being a supporter, been prouder or happier with how our club is being run.

Even the Rudgie glory years because deep down I knew they couldn't last because the club was not progressing off the pitch like it was on it.

There's no doubt we will bring in a couple of strikers it's just whether they are the ones DC and DF really want.

Archived