onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

How have they fooked up?  You can’t force a player to sign.  If we’re targeting the same players as other clubs and they sign elsewhere what do you suggest?  We sign someone for the sake of it?  If a player fails at the interview stage what should we do?  Sign him anyway?
They haven’t spun any crap as far as I can see.  Both DF and DC have stated the facts, we’re behind where we wanted to be in terms of recruitment.
Great debate Ray....
I wonder if anyone will reply with any meaningful discussion?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using onevalefan mobile app

Advert

29 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

How have they fooked up?  You can’t force a player to sign.  If we’re targeting the same players as other clubs and they sign elsewhere what do you suggest?  We sign someone for the sake of it?  If a player fails at the interview stage what should we do?  Sign him anyway?

They haven’t spun any crap as far as I can see.  Both DF and DC have stated the facts, we’re behind where we wanted to be in terms of recruitment.

Don't try using facts, Ray - they don't respond well to facts!

Consolation yes but that will be very difficult if we didn’t sign any forwards or keeper until Jan or the summer. We have to remember we finished 5th last season. Wilson and Proctor whilst both excellent have fitness issues. Players are needed for us to consolidate and we will sign them, I just don’t buy what some posted on here a few weeks ago / before Spain that we were just being patient

If we had lost on Saturday everyone would have been having a complete meltdown on here regarding the lack of signings. I have said it before and I will say it again, unless you pay the going rate then you will struggle to get the quality players in that you need. We got away with one on Saturday but  much stuff tests are around the corner. I was not convinced about Covolon but to let him go out on loan with no obvious replacement lined up and have no keeper on the bench on the opening game of the season was nothing short of ridiculous. 
At present we are relying on Proctor staying fit whilst Wilson is out injured and are hoping that a 17 year old Academy Striker can fill the void. Not forgetting if anything happens to Stone then we are knackered. Signings need to be made and quick. 
It's definitely a high risk strategy but then what's the alternative? Bring in players that won't improve the team and then be lumbered with them for 2 years?

In hindsight they probably should have kept Covolan but the goalkeeper is a calculated risk, they rarely get injured.

The striker situation is a little more complicated as it's such a key area. It's not ideal relying on young lads or makeshift strikers but for the sake of 4 or 5 games I don't think it's terminal to our chances.

Unfortunately, we can't pay 10k a week for players like Derby or Sheffield Wednesday do, so we will have missed out unfortunately on targets. There's no point throwing money at players we can't afford.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

59 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

I think that’s fair. They certainly haven’t messed up. They’re clearly after a certain player with a certain personality and like you say have been beaten to their targets, which makes perfect sense in this division at the moment. If they fail their interview no we shouldn’t sign them. One thing I have disagreed with many posters on here was the ‘patience’ argument. I was told at one point that you have to be patient for the player to be good, yet the majority of our excellent signings last summer were done early June. You can sign a quality player in June and August and visa versa, and if the reason for waiting is to get a better deal, then at this level I think we will miss out on a few  

The worry now is that there are still quite a few sides who haven’t signed many who have more established squads (in the striker department). We definitely need two strikers though otherwise we will struggle as Wilson and Proctor won’t stay fit all season. But to your post I agree, they’ve not lied or made anything up and will be disappointed with the recruitment so far (something that’s apparently moaning when posted on here though) 

Fingers crossed we get someone in soon - and a keeper and RWB / LWB 

What we have to remember is we are now in a league full of big clubs or ones bankrolled by very rich owners. Derby fans are concerned that they are only allowed to pay 12k a week in wages per player so why would any top striker sign for us when you could hold out for that. We need strikers they know that but if we can't afford them there's not a lot we can do about it other than wait.

9 hours ago, TreacleValiant said:

If we had lost on Saturday everyone would have been having a complete meltdown on here regarding the lack of signings. I have said it before and I will say it again, unless you pay the going rate then you will struggle to get the quality players in that you need. We got away with one on Saturday but  much stuff tests are around the corner. I was not convinced about Covolon but to let him go out on loan with no obvious replacement lined up and have no keeper on the bench on the opening game of the season was nothing short of ridiculous. 
At present we are relying on Proctor staying fit whilst Wilson is out injured and are hoping that a 17 year old Academy Striker can fill the void. Not forgetting if anything happens to Stone then we are knackered. Signings need to be made and quick. 

Quotes from the Owner,Management and Club Cat suggest that they know what is required.

9 hours ago, TreacleValiant said:

Tommy McDermott isn't even a striker, he's a midfielder playing out of position.

1 hour ago, dishydave said:

What we have to remember is we are now in a league full of big clubs or ones bankrolled by very rich owners. Derby fans are concerned that they are only allowed to pay 12k a week in wages per player so why would any top striker sign for us when you could hold out for that. We need strikers they know that but if we can't afford them there's not a lot we can do about it other than wait.

Spot on.  Not only this but there seem to be more and more “minted” clubs than ever now lower down the leagues.  Wealthy owners throwing large sums of cash around to buy success.  We’re in the third tier competing financially not only with teams at that level and above but also with numerous clubs in the fourth and fifth tiers, not just one or two.

A lot of clubs will have lined up players long before the transfer window opened and probably had all the paperwork done and dusted ready to announce. We couldn’t do that because until the last few days of May we didn’t even know what division we were going to be in. We probably had two lists and didn’t know which one we were going to action until then. We have been playing catch up ever since. Yes we would have liked to have signed all our new recruits by now but this is the real world, not fantasy football where you commit pretend money and failures can be chucked out at any time. 

11 hours ago, TreacleValiant said:

Were doomed, look set to go down , carol flickers darrell havent got a plan get them our now while we have a chance!!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Archived