onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

No I don't and that wasn't my point. My point is that we might wait for x player, and if x player falls through we end up with what's left.

However, at least two posters since my first post have said if we miss our targets we should just wait till Jan. We cannot afford to do that.

I don't think anyone is suggesting waiting till January

Sent from my POT-LX1 using onevalefan mobile app

Advert

Every man and his duck can see where we need strengthening, the point is that if it boiled down to taking a player purely to fill a gap in the squad or waiting until a genuine target becomes available, I believe we’d take the latter course and wait, rather than waste money on someone who’ll never play.  I don’t think it’ll come to that, certainly with regards to forwards.
I agree it shouldn't have to come to that. Let's see what tomorrow brings

At lot of people said we would not go to Spain without a full squad, loads more said we wouldn't go into the Fleetwood game without a keeper and strikers in place. I get it, patience etc etc.
Did Clarke or Flitcroft say that? I wouldn't read too much into comments on here as the majority of us are are speculating at best. Relax. Que sera sera.

Its also worth remembering last season we got through to January with Wilson, Proctor & Lloyd as our only recognised strikers. We also had Amoo, Garrity and Rodney who could do a job there. Both Proctor and Wilson got injured in that period and we went up. This season we have Wilson and Proctor with Garrity, Massey, McDermott and Holden who could cover.

I get what Walka is saying, and do understand that concern. BUT for me if it's a choice (which I really don't think it will be by the way) between going to January with the strikers we have or signing the like of, say, Robinson (extreme example) or other lesser striker who simply are inferior in every respect to our current strikers, then what's the point of wasting a wage like that? Such players aren't going to improve us or even provide competition. Yes you can put them on the pitch when you have literally no other option but that's about it

7 minutes ago, philmpv said:

I get what Walka is saying, and do understand that concern. BUT for me if it's a choice (which I really don't think it will be by the way) between going to January with the strikers we have or signing the like of, say, Robinson (extreme example) or other lesser striker who simply are inferior in every respect to our current strikers, then what's the point of wasting a wage like that? Such players aren't going to improve us or even provide competition. Yes you can put them on the pitch when you have literally no other option but that's about it

I don’t see the management filling the gap with any old piece of tripe, we are too professional for that. I still see a young Premiership / Championship player maybe filling the gap. A proven striker will not want to sit on the bench watching Willo & Proc every week. Any young striker will not get released until the prem pre-season is complete.

Thanks for at least trying to get what I'm on about without picking and choosing points, maybe Budgie could learn a thing or two.

I get what everyone's point is, no one wants a situation where we are carrying Guthrie and Robinson. We will, hopefully, pull in some targets in the next day/week/fortnight.

1 hour ago, Walka003 said:

No I don't and that wasn't my point. My point is that we might wait for x player, and if x player falls through we end up with what's left.

However, at least two posters since my first post have said if we miss our targets we should just wait till Jan. We cannot afford to do that.

If we are honest as fans , DC and DF have fooked up regarding strikers and a goalkeeper ( for what ever reason ) , there is no way no matter what crap is spun out in the media that they would want to be a week into the new season without these positions  sorted . 

18 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Whist I would certainly have released Robinson I actually think his status as King of the numpties is a little undeserved. He did put a shift in towards the end of the season before last  and in some small way helped to keep us up. It's perhaps because he is the most recent example of a relative failure but there has been worse.

All this chat about just two strikers and one keeper is farcical. It's as if we can only stay buoyant for two or three days after a win and then the doubts start to creep in, doubts of mistrust, failure and deceit. Some people perhaps view Vale akin to an abusive partner who promises to change but somehow always reverts to type. I think we do have to give the new changed Vale a chance, when they say they won't let us down, we have to believe they won't let us down. I understand that when you have been subjected to the torrid talent of Big Reggie, Laurie Wilson et al you can form a negative mindset. I can honesty say that Vale have been really good to me for at least eighteen months, they haven't lied, cheated or broken any promises, I know it's early days but I really do think they've changed. Most importantly I believe they now love me, which was a real struggle to embrace due to my low self esteem.

If we are honest as fans , DC and DF have fooked up regarding strikers and a goalkeeper ( for what ever reason ) , there is no way no matter what crap is spun out in the media that they would want to be a week into the new season without these positions  sorted . 
I think it's very harsh right now to say they've "foooked up". There is, as everyone keeps saying, time yet.

I think we are living within a budget and wage structure, which is appropriate for a club that has nearly gone to the wall a number of times. I guess that means for any half decent player we either lose out (blackman) or we wait and hope. In L2 we were a big fish in a small pond, so the best players willing to drop to that level had the choice of a few clubs and we were one. We are now not that. However, there are still some good players out there, but they are dwindling.

2 minutes ago, Dr Delgado said:

Whist I would certainly have released Robinson I actually think his status as King of the numpties is a little undeserved. He did put a shift in towards the end of the season before last  and in some small way helped to keep us up. It's perhaps because he is the most recent example of a relative failure but there has been worse.

All this chat about just two strikers and one keeper is farcical. It's as if we can only stay buoyant for two or three days after a win and then the doubts start to creep in, doubts of mistrust, failure and deceit. Some people perhaps view Vale akin to an abusive partner who promises to change but somehow always reverts to type. I think we do have to give the new changed Vale a chance, when they say they won't let us down, we have to believe they won't let us down. I understand that when you have been subjected to the torrid talent of Big Reggie, Laurie Wilson et al you can form a negative mindset. I can honesty say that Vale have been really good to me for at least eighteen months, they haven't lied, cheated or broken any promises, I know it's early days but I really do think they've changed. Most importantly I believe they now love me, which was a real struggle to embrace due to my low self esteem.

Are many people saying that though? I'm mostly reading people saying things aren't going to plan. Which it clearly isn't, which DC has even said himself. 

Archived