onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

1 hour ago, Warren said:

I think there is lot's of evidence he'd nuke the club. High wages / high talent / disappointing performances. 

He should be the gold standard for how not to treat your  football career. On the fringes of England squad not so long ago and if I remember correctly had Pulis in his corner trying to sort out his off the field goings on with the hangers on and whatever he was getting up to. He’s probably very rich with no career now. 

Advert

What??? We've had plenty of successful small players before...even in the last 4 or 5 seasons!!
Tony, Tony Naylor.... But I do get what Warren meant in that sometimes I felt our midfield could be small and lightweight. Felt that Walker was more of a unit and as well as being a great passer of the ball gave us height and physical presence.

11 hours ago, MBE said:

Looking at well known free agent strikers from championship and L1 clubs. I wonder if we could interest either of these lads? 

Isaac Vassell - Incredibly still only 28

Sam Winnall 

Saido Berainho - Just the satisfaction of him playing well and scoring goals for us!🤣

I'd be surprised if we haven't looked at Vassell. Strong, quick, hard worker, but not the best goal record (which is fine as he'd be dropping down a level).

15 hours ago, mvb said:

Stones kicking on Saturday was atrocious , plus his distribution is to slow , that will all get better with coaching and experience , but for now we still need a number one established keeper 

I can’t honestly say I noticed that.  For me the far more pressing issue is recruiting a couple of forwards.

Tony, Tony Naylor.... But I do get what Warren meant in that sometimes I felt our midfield could be small and lightweight. Felt that Walker was more of a unit and as well as being a great passer of the ball gave us height and physical presence.
Adaptability is what we need, so as to deal with the oppositions strengths and/or surprise them.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

It looks as if Vassell has played 2 games in 3 seasons from his record online, or 25 games in 6 seasons, after some serious injury problems. Basically, he's barely played for what ought to have been the best years of his career, given that he is going to be 29 next month, and most of his goals have come from non league and League 2.  If he is fit, he could be useful, but he would be another who we might have to take on the basis of pay as you play because of the risk of another setback.  I think we need a younger striker with pace to offer something different to Wilson and Proctor.  Hoping we might get another Premiership reserve loanee like Small, though I guess every club at our level is looking for similar.

4 minutes ago, Lornelounger said:

It looks as if Vassell has played 2 games in 3 seasons from his record online, or 25 games in 6 seasons, after some serious injury problems. Basically, he's barely played for what ought to have been the best years of his career, given that he is going to be 29 next month, and most of his goals have come from non league and League 2.  If he is fit, he could be useful, but he would be another who we might have to take on the basis of pay as you play because of the risk of another setback.  I think we need a younger striker with pace to offer something different to Wilson and Proctor.  Hoping we might get another Premiership reserve loanee like Small, though I guess every club at our level is looking for similar.

Vassell is playing in America currently for San Diego Loyal in their 2nd division, and has scored 10 in 18. 

5 minutes ago, Portvale4 said:

Vassell is playing in America currently for San Diego Loyal in their 2nd division, and has scored 10 in 18. 

Good to hear.  I still am underwhelmed by his record, but if he is fully fit, he might be worth a punt.  I'm never sure how doing well in American 2nd division football equates to fitting in to league football in the UK mind you - do any of us know what standard that is like compared to over here?

16 hours ago, mvb said:

Stones kicking on Saturday was atrocious , plus his distribution is to slow , that will all get better with coaching and experience , but for now we still need a number one established keeper 

My own inner jury is out with regard to Stone and him establishing himself as our number 1 keeper. What I do disagree with is the emotive language you choose to describe his performance on Saturday. You make it sound like he has plummeted to a nadir of ineptitude by describing his kicking as atrocious. Do you think any of the professional staff at Vale would have described it as such? 

I've definitely seen some poor goalkeeping displays at Vale Park over the years but Saturday certainly wasn't one of them. If we are to judge our payers with impartiality then would you care to remind me how many of Nathan Smith's passes went astray on Saturday? I am a fan of Smith but if we are to judge payers fairly then this is an area of his game that requires a bit of a tweak. Or was he atrocious? 

Archived