onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

There's some genuinely big clubs in this league. But the problem when you're one of those clubs is that teams will generally raise their game against you and be "up for it" a little more than other games against lesser sides. I'd like to think that Vale can be one of those teams that can spring a bit of a surprise or two this season as it develops.

Advert

8 hours ago, upthevale said:

I may be dreaming but would love to see young Cameron Archer from Aston Villa here for a 12 month loan!

Would be the icing on the cake but would imagine a number of Championship clubs would be in for him if he's available.

1 hour ago, capirex said:

McaNuff's predictions for promotion, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich and Derby. What a surprise!

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. 

Typical lazy punditry as with Salford yet again amongst League 2 favourites 

33 minutes ago, Valiiant said:

Not sure about being the first but you can certainly make a strong case for him starting. But I see Ojo and Conlon, when fit, as being guaranteed starters. So it ultimately leaves one spot left for one of Garrity, Pett, Charsley and Walker. It's really not a bad "dilemma" for DC to have.

Anyone know what's happened to Rory Holden? He played at Rochdale and I do think he's the type of player we need as we don't seem to have any game-changers to bring on when our first XI is fit, but 7 players (8 if you include McDermott) battling it out for 3 places seems excessive. 

So far, we have

Stone

Hall, Cass, Smith, Benning, Forrester, Massey, Small, Hussey, Jones, (Robinson), (Agyakwa)

Ojo, Garrity, Worrall, Pett, Conlon, Charsley, Walker, (McDermott)

Proctor, Wilson

Presuming those in brackets will be in development or loaned out/ bit-part at best, and those unbolded may leave. Quite a few variables re current squad size but think we still need a keeper, attacking mid, possibly an attacking wide player if we need to change formation and a couple of strikers.

2 minutes ago, Alsager Whites said:

walker top class. going nowhere. him conlon garrity the best middle three we have. 

Most underrated player at the club. Maybe as he barely played 20 games I guess but he's a quality player and in my starting X1 if fit.

But I don't pick the team 😕 

1 hour ago, Jgpvfc said:

I think we will be close to going down personally. I really hope not as I feel the club can really push on if we can consolidate this season. The squad does need extra quality on top of what we already have. The current crop of players for me seemed flaky at times and could put in some dire performances. The Newport game at the end of the season for example. Its like that team had never played a game of football before. We need to see far less of that. Saying that there are some very winnable games. I dont know much about the other teams but we smashed Accrington in the cup last season and if we want to achieve safety then the games against the likes of Cheltenham, Burton, Exeter etc are must wins. The top teams like Portsmouth, Deby, Ipswich and Sheff Wed are games where anything can happen but my expectations are much lower. We have some excellent players in the spine of the team with Hall, Conlon and Wilson and hopefully the lads around them can step up. Its going to be a long old season and the lads are going to need every single bit of our support.

Its a difficult one to predict, there is a lot of thing that could affect our chances either way. How will players who we're important last year cope with the step up in quality (Garrity being case in point)? We have a small squad, we have an injury crisis like we had at Xmas last year and we'll be in trouble. How will the new signings settle and are they any good? 

The one major thing we have working in our favour is the manager. I would rather have DC in charge than any of the mangers in this league currently. Think he has the ability get every bit of  the squad, even if they aren't as strong on paper as the next team. Hopefully the new training zone will also help us with injuries. 

17 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Anyone know what's happened to Rory Holden?

I would guess the club are taking their time assessing him after coming back from a serious injury. I can't imagine they are going to commit to any sort of deal until they get the thumbs up from the medical team that he's fully recovered.

So, I would imagine for now it's the same as earlier in summer - he's not contracted with us but he is training with us*

*cue the club announcing he has agreed a deal ten mins after I post this :wink:

think 1 or 2 are getting overexcited after yesterday. whilst great to get exciting players in we can't rely on them to impact immediately - all young lads with little experience. think its brilliant to be making them but the likes of agyakwa forrester and small will need time and patience, as will tommy mc. the only signings we've made who i think will start on saturday are ojo massey and cass.

we're still short a lg1 keeper and at least 2 forwards. wilson won't play saturday and we're coming off a short pre season. conlon walker and pett wont start.

people think this is moaning. its not. im delighted to be in league 1 and can't wait to get going. right now im happy with 19th with the youngsters improving, conlon getting fit, walker getting fit, willo getting fit, proctor getting through the season etc before we kick on next season. seen some talk of midtable or top half and i think we have a tough season ahead of us. not through negativity just an honest acceptance of where we are.

Listening to Carol, DF, DC over past few months I feel they have identified three separate age groups.

1) Academy investment to  bring through our own youngsters to first team level.

2) sign players released from Premier League / Championship Academies. Develop them into regular first team players and sell them on.

3) sign a nucleus of senior pros to cement our league standing whilst developing the young talent in match situations a la Futcher / Beckford.

I think it’s going to be a difficult league to predict you have the second division upstarts ! Used to winning with a winning mentality! Against the championship losers with a losing mentality then the established league one sides. Not easy to predict. One thing for sure there will be some surprises 

8 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Anyone know what's happened to Rory Holden? He played at Rochdale and I do think he's the type of player we need as we don't seem to have any game-changers to bring on when our first XI is fit, but 7 players (8 if you include McDermott) battling it out for 3 places seems excessive. 

So far, we have

Stone

Hall, Cass, Smith, Benning, Forrester, Massey, Small, Hussey, Jones, (Robinson), (Agyakwa)

Ojo, Garrity, Worrall, Pett, Conlon, Charsley, Walker, (McDermott)

Proctor, Wilson

Presuming those in brackets will be in development or loaned out/ bit-part at best, and those unbolded may leave. Quite a few variables re current squad size but think we still need a keeper, attacking mid, possibly an attacking wide player if we need to change formation and a couple of strikers.

I think Holden is as good as signed, it's just not been made official yet. Clarke loves him and if he can get him fit and on the field, he'll be a real asset and a step up in quality to the likes of Charsley, with no disrespect meant as he always does a decent job.

Ojo, Conlon and Holden would be a dream midfield. 

Robinson, McDermott, Plant, Small and Agyakwa all have little or no experience of League1/2 football. When we played Liverpool youth last (?) season you could see that they all had amazing technical ability but Vale won. 
Can you make a list of the players in our squad that do have league 1/2 experience please?

I think one slight mistake this summer might be allowing Covolan to leave on loan, at least before a replacement was signed. I know he has some brain farts but as a number two he's perfectly adequate, and also from what I gather had a big impact on the dressing room.

I suppose in a perfect world, Stone would only be our number two right now. But then he's only going to improve by playing games.

1 hour ago, Alsager Whites said:

walker top class. going nowhere. him conlon garrity the best middle three we have. 

Whilst Walker is good with the ball at his feet and his passing is sublime at times, if you watch him closely he can get caught for pace. Not sure how much he will feature this year.

Archived