onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

Enjoy the season fellow supporters .
Expect the unexpected .
It's naturally going be harder we have moved up a league .
We do need new signings but not players on silly money ,say for example we got three new signings in on 4 grand a week and signing one gets injured in first game out for the season signing 2 cannot get on with the other players and is a maverick and his performances are abysmal and ends up like Robinson and Mckirdy and the 3rd player only puts a good display in on one in every 7 games thats 12 grand wasted (A Week).48 grand a month thars nearly double what I get a year .
Soon end up back in league 2 and in administration.
Carol and the club being sensible and anyway why are fans so involved in the goings on at the club (signings etc )the only thing they need do is turn up and encourage as loudly as possible each game then you could have 11 65 year old on the pitch but they will run harder and give more .
Be the reason why the players give more .
UTV (lets not go around spending other people's money especially ones who who are steering Port Vale FC into a new era a era where if everyone's together we will grow for sure
UTV

Advert

I can understand you saying this but as someone who stood on the bycars season after season until the play off final Vs Bristol rovers and still remembers the Earle goal that took us up....no money had been spent on the ground. Capacity was cut. Championship games were all ticket because bycars was condemned and because I worked in the week and sat mornings I couldn't get a ticket. It broke my link with the club. I didn't go then from that point until December 21. How many people now moan about the pa, bogs in railway and bycars, turnstiles, why the Lorne street isn't finished and open, booze, etc. Do you want improvements, progression? It has to be a twin track approach. You need a stable base and like it or not vale park and it's training pitches has been starved of investment and milked of all profit since rudge went and until carol and Kevin took over. And frankly as someone who stayed away during mold, nil paid shares, smurth and piegate that fact it was allowed to go on should be embarrassing. Choose your investment. It has to be both. End of.
Taking rubbish.

Talking rubbish. You gotta pay the wages instead of finding 1.3 million to spend on the ground. Crazy decision. Team first stadium later. If your going be championship ready you gotta break-through wage structure I'm afraid.
You need the stadium to come up to scratch too, otherwise you'll never be able to break the wage structure. We need more people through the turnstiles and using the corporate facilities in order to generate the money to improve....it's basic business.

It's a viscious cycle that you don't seem to understand. We leave the stadium, it gets worse, people don't want to come or we create barriers to them coming and we have less to spend on the team. We don't bother improving the corporate and non match day income and instead pay silly money to overrated players....we then don't have the money to continue to support these contracts as nobody is going to pay for crap facilities. Unfortunately, better infrastructure goes hand in hand with a better business and ultimately a better team. All businesses with premises invest in making it better because it is better for staff, customers and ultimately creates a more efficient, saleable asset. I believe that the work being done now will bear huge fruit later down the line. We all want to buy instant success but it doesn't work like that. You can't just throw vast sums of money at a business whilst neglecting the thing that is your actual money generator.

Hows about leave the business decisions to people who have built up a business worth many millions? I think they probably know a bit about it.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

27 minutes ago, rob1983 said:
35 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:
I think it's clear that the transfer window hasn't gone well but what else can we do? Waste money on crap that isn't going to improve the team? Spend way more than we have and risk putting ourselves in trouble?

We're playing a risky hand but I don't see what else we can do. We have to believe that players will buy into our project because we're not going to pay them 6k a week and I don't think we should. Do we want players who are just after another pay day? I feel like your Derbys and Sheffield Wednesdays are paying over the odds for players past their best, on big contracts. They can afford to but I don't think they're getting value.

We can't do that. We have to play this game of risk and reward. Would people be happy if we just signed crap? At Christmas wouldn't these same people be moaning and saying that we rushed into buying anybody?

Yes, we need a goalkeeper and strikers and I'm sure we'll see movement this week. To say that the recruitment team is just messing about and on a jolly is wrong. They have clearly been working hard on recruitment but it just hasn't happened yet.

Judgement should be made at Christmas, once we have all the players in that we need and we have seen how they have performed. It's not going to be instant success in league one. As long as we have a good enough squad to stay up, with many of the squad ready to move forward and improve us, then I think that's good. Small building blocks, improve the squad year on year for 2 to 3 years and we may even have a Championship ready squad.

Talking rubbish. You gotta pay the wages instead of finding 1.3 million to spend on the ground. Crazy decision. Team first stadium later. If your going be championship ready you gotta break-through wage structure I'm afraid.

Talking rubbish! You're just showing your ignorance now! FFP is still something we have to adhere to, and money to be spent on the squad is linked to income, so we caqn only spend a finite amount on the squad...let's call it..."budget"...shall we? If the owners of Port Vale decide they want to invest money on the stadium improvements, maybe to increase attendances and certainly to comply with safety certificates, and players' needs - that's up to them and nowt to do with you...fella!

7 minutes ago, rob1983 said:
18 minutes ago, chickensteve said:
I can understand you saying this but as someone who stood on the bycars season after season until the play off final Vs Bristol rovers and still remembers the Earle goal that took us up....no money had been spent on the ground. Capacity was cut. Championship games were all ticket because bycars was condemned and because I worked in the week and sat mornings I couldn't get a ticket. It broke my link with the club. I didn't go then from that point until December 21. How many people now moan about the pa, bogs in railway and bycars, turnstiles, why the Lorne street isn't finished and open, booze, etc. Do you want improvements, progression? It has to be a twin track approach. You need a stable base and like it or not vale park and it's training pitches has been starved of investment and milked of all profit since rudge went and until carol and Kevin took over. And frankly as someone who stayed away during mold, nil paid shares, smurth and piegate that fact it was allowed to go on should be embarrassing. Choose your investment. It has to be both. End of.

Taking rubbish.

You're a bit thick...fella! Not you Chicken - t'other chap!

22 minutes ago, rob1983 said:
31 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:
I think it's clear that the transfer window hasn't gone well but what else can we do? Waste money on crap that isn't going to improve the team? Spend way more than we have and risk putting ourselves in trouble?

We're playing a risky hand but I don't see what else we can do. We have to believe that players will buy into our project because we're not going to pay them 6k a week and I don't think we should. Do we want players who are just after another pay day? I feel like your Derbys and Sheffield Wednesdays are paying over the odds for players past their best, on big contracts. They can afford to but I don't think they're getting value.

We can't do that. We have to play this game of risk and reward. Would people be happy if we just signed crap? At Christmas wouldn't these same people be moaning and saying that we rushed into buying anybody?

Yes, we need a goalkeeper and strikers and I'm sure we'll see movement this week. To say that the recruitment team is just messing about and on a jolly is wrong. They have clearly been working hard on recruitment but it just hasn't happened yet.

Judgement should be made at Christmas, once we have all the players in that we need and we have seen how they have performed. It's not going to be instant success in league one. As long as we have a good enough squad to stay up, with many of the squad ready to move forward and improve us, then I think that's good. Small building blocks, improve the squad year on year for 2 to 3 years and we may even have a Championship ready squad.

No. Outside of the Lorne St, the ground is decrepit. The Railway and Bycars basically need levelling, they are not fit for football in 2022. So we are spending money on the ground that needed spending 10, maybe 20 years ago. Don’t do any work to your house for 10 years and see what it becomes.

We have no choice to spend money on the ground (which IMO is a money pit and needs completely demolishing with us having a new ground a la Rotherham but that’s a different debate) so it’s not and either/or situation. 

I’ll confess I’m a little concerned at where we are on the playing side and I think we’ll do well to survive this year. Yes that’s a slightly bonkers thing to say before a ball has even been kicked but it can’t be underestimated how important pre-season and the Summer T/W are. Plus League 1 is a little different these days (Bolton, Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Charlton, Pompey, Derby and Barnsley… all ex-Premier League).

If we don’t survive, I would bet on us to bounce back at the first attempt.

On a tangent, why do you think that teams build new stadiums? Why have Spurs built a very expensive new stadium? Probably to the detriment of their team? It's because they know that if they want to get to the next level then they need people to be spending money consistently and making their ground pay for itself. It might not pay off immediately but they have stadium tours every day there, roof walking tours, nfl games, corporate functions every week. They know that in the long term it will generate the income to compete with the best.

It's exactly the same with us on a smaller scale. People want this instant success after 20 years of terrible business people running the place. It isn't going to happen overnight!

Archived