onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

Advert

59 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I wish we'd all unite and stop bickering. 

I'm sure plenty of folk aren't much for some of my posts .

We've got superb owners, we've had 3 near misses with non league. A new manager got rid of the deadwood as he called it and was proved completely correct. Within 13 months of the win against Newport that started our move away from the relegation zone we were embedded in the thick of a promotion season. 

We've gone from a charlatan bringing his own pies in the boot of his car to a shirt reveal and season ticket collection day tomorrow with a bar, refreshments, photo with trophy and other stuff to attract folk. 

About to play Derby,Wednesday, Pompey etc instead of our usual 68 away fans in the Hamil. 

Yes the lack of signings and rumours of Injuries are a bit disconcerting but I'm sure we can all sing off the same hymn sheet. 

I don't agree with RZ on Clarke but I don't think we need to beat him with a stick about it any more. Let it go. We're league one .

Valiant593 in my view has always posted well. I'm sure I've not agreed with everything he's written but I've certainly never had him  down as someone to block.

Be a lot happier place if we just agree to disagree. By all means offer a counter argument but personal stuff against posters isn't a good look is it.

Let's get behind the club and it could be a difficult season who knows but it will be a lot easier if we all want the same goal . 

Spot on. I try to post positive stuff if I can.

I don't know how people can be so negative before the season has even started.

47 minutes ago, DazFred said:

Overall I find OneValeFan significantly less abusive than a decade ago. It's OK to be negative in the context of identifying risks. Often we all see more negative risks than opportunities - taking opportunities is also part of risk management. So too is uncertainty. I think the issue with a site like this for supporters is that risk and uncertainty are much more visible than opportunity because you have to be actually managing the club to see specific and detailed opportunities. On here opportunity is quite often something like we think John Smith from XYZ United is available because he is out of contract and he once scored against us. 

2 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

That’s unfair point.it’s certainly not ridiculous to think that two proven forwards could offer more than two lads who have barely played  

Hemmings and Loft both proven players. Not one person wanted us to break the bank or break the budget for players so can we please stop with that myth. At the time I was very vocal in my disappointment at the amount of loans in January. I got 2 right 2 wrong. But it the long run, none of these players have ended up staying with us and left us with an area to fill this season. I think both Loft and Hemmings could have been useful in this division as well. Harratt I still think flattered to deceive at times, he wasn’t very good other than against Mansfield and then the last couple of games. 

Hemmings ended up with 8 in 22

Loft only 1 in 13 but that was against us. 

Harratt and edmonson did well but it’s not ridiculous for anyone to want a proven forward (that wouldn’t have broken the bank) rather than two young players. Remember we had just sold Rodney. Remember we did have that spell without Wilson and Proctor where we struggled up top. We only started to get back to form when they returned. Don’t think we got Jan nailed personally - other than selling Rodney and the fantastic Hall signing. 

While I would agree Hemmings would have come in and done well I will have to disagree strongly on Loft. I think it’s because he played well against us for Scunny but I think some overrated him massively at the time and was pleased to be honest we didn’t go and get him. It was a bit like how Byron Moore always played well against us but largely flattered to deceive otherwise.

Ultimately all is well that ended well for us. Harratt had two huge games in the playoffs for us and Edmondson with his versatility (not necessarily always up front) played a part also.

Warren/Daz et-al some very eloquent points really well made - well done 👍👍👍 

The thing with the forum is that the members of OVF are a very small and vocal microcosm of the whole of the Vale support Base, and in a way we have become our own worst enemies due to passion (and bubbling over-enthusiasm tipping over into frustration this close season) a lot of the threads have descended into pointless squabbles of which no-one is actually to blame - its a shame.

There are thousands of season ticket holders/pay on the day fans who cannot wait for next week and because they don't engage with the social media aspect, are just still rightfully buzzing from the 28th of May.

Didnt think id be saying this a week before kick off, but Im going have a few days off reading the thread now until hopefully things have calmed down on here (I agree, a few signings will help calm nerves, but if not, Hey Ho, its jjust a hobby)

See you all next Saturday - feel free to say hello if you see me in the Bycars - Ill be the bald one wearing a dodgy new Keepers away top 😍😍😍 NICE

54 minutes ago, DazFred said:

There’s a reason people are worried when we have only one fit striker who couldn’t complete 60/70 mins of football only 8 weeks ago, plus only one goalkeeper so if the worst happens and he gets injured during the first game we have no goalkeeper to replace ! Same as our only striker !

So it’s not being negative? It’s facts that stare us in the face and in a division we ain’t played in for five years so we actually don’t know what’s going to happen this season.

I love the owners, management team, the club and back room staff, but I don’t love how we somehow have gone 8 weeks without adding to our squad.

The truth of all this matter is the plan A of players we wanted basically we can’t afford to pay there wages, this is sugar coated by blaming agents for doing what the player pays them to do and get as much money as possible per week !

I work as a groundworker on £200 a day but if I was offered £250 a day elsewhere I’d be gone doing exactly the same job but for a different company, this is the same in football.

Honestly if we think a magic wand will all of sudden appear and players want £1,500/£2,000 a week less then we’re  crazy. Unfortunately for the money we are offering our selection of player opportunities is narrowed down dramatically.

Not being negative I’m just mearly stating facts.

I just hope we start the season how we finished the last one and have plenty of energy on the pitch so it gets the crowd behind the team.

UTV 🖤🤍

5 minutes ago, Ben Stevens said:

There’s a reason people are worried when we have only one fit striker who couldn’t complete 60/70 mins of football only 8 weeks ago, plus only one goalkeeper so if the worst happens and he gets injured during the first game we have no goalkeeper to replace ! Same as our only striker !

So it’s not being negative? It’s facts that stare us in the face and in a division we ain’t played in for five years so we actually don’t know what’s going to happen this season.

I love the owners, management team, the club and back room staff, but I don’t love how we somehow have gone 8 weeks without adding to our squad.

The truth of all this matter is the plan A of players we wanted basically we can’t afford to pay there wages, this is sugar coated by blaming agents for doing what the player pays them to do and get as much money as possible per week !

I work as a groundworker on £200 a day but if I was offered £250 a day elsewhere I’d be gone doing exactly the same job but for a different company, this is the same in football.

Honestly if we think a magic wand will all of sudden appear and players want £1,500/£2,000 a week less then we’re  crazy. Unfortunately for the money we are offering our selection of player opportunities is narrowed down dramatically.

I just hope we start the season how we finished the last one and have plenty of energy on the pitch so it gets the crowd behind the team.

UTV 🖤🤍

Great post

UTV 🤍

Ben, I will always respect you for climbing that tree and I know you're a passionate fan.

But what is the answer to the problem you're pointing out?

1. Sign players of a lower quality to get numbers in?

2. Break the wage structure and pay what players are demanding and then suffer the consequences?

3. Hold out for quality players and hope their wage demands fall within our budget?

4. Sign d*ckheads who could upset the camp?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using onevalefan mobile app

I would go for 4, Mckirdy is allegedly a d*ckhead but he scored 20 goals in the League we were in last season and we gave him away. To me management is about managing the players you have rather than recruiting some that don't argue with you. Not many managers get the luxury of only having 2 players in the squad which you didn't sign yourself.

I would go for 4, Mckirdy is allegedly a d*ckhead but he scored 20 goals in the League we were in last season and we gave him away. To me management is about managing the players you have rather than recruiting some that don't argue with you. Not many managers get the luxury of only having 2 players in the squad which you didn't sign yourself.
That's fair enough RZ, personally I've got my fingers crossed option 3 pays dividend.

The issue with option 4 is, we need 7 players, that potentially a lot of d*ickheads and you know how they saying goes about one bad apple.

Would you not be concerned that if we lose our nerve now then we could potentially upset the dressing room for a season?

9 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Management is far easier without  player cliques pulling in different directions. 

33 minutes ago, Ben Stevens said:

UTV 🖤🤍

Perhaps that's the key. There are facts. Then there are hypotheses extrapolated from them, which can go in any direction, depending on the outlook of the poster.

They cannot be right because it's set in the future, so counter hypotheses are constructed.

Hence argument...

If you stay in the now, with what is, then all that worry disappears. You can enjoy yourself again 😃 

Just now, Fosse69 said:

Management is far easier without  player cliques pulling in different directions. 

Did you watch the series about Freddie Flintoff turning a group of kids from disadvantaged backgrounds into a cricket team? If not, you should. That is management at it's best.

11 minutes ago, Budgie_2260 said:

Ben, I will always respect you for climbing that tree and I know you're a passionate fan.

But what is the answer to the problem you're pointing out?

2. Break the wage structure and pay what players are demanding and then suffer the consequences?

3. Hold out for quality players and hope their wage demands fall within our budget?

Some great points there as it’s detailed spot on 👍

Personally our club if it wants to succeed and be an established league one side that hopes to get into the championship one day then we have to break our wage structure at some point ?

I’d probably say that we ain’t offering anything more than £3,500 a week at Port Vale so far, so unfortunately we’re going to have to upset our dressing room weather it’s this season or in two seasons time, we can’t keep running on a certain level of budget and expect miracles to happen. There’s clubs in league two that are currently beating us to players at the same time. I know we have a plan in place and we offer and family network at the club, but a player from the outside doesn’t know or see this when he’s negotiating the next two or three years of his career wages.

So as follows…

Big No No

This has to happen one day

Very risky business as you may be without and full 25 man squad until after Christmas 

No chance, but normally a <ovf censored> is a quality player on massive money so not in our reach anyway

Something has to give one way or the other, because so far we are getting left behind and this worries me very much.

Archived