onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

11 hours ago, Mark-Valiant said:

Can I ask what realistic ambitions  people have for next season? For me the number 1 realistic target is to stay in this league, then to push on there after. I know we need players & we will get them in ( hopefully). I must admit the only positions I'm a bit concerned about is the striking options. A permanent ST & a loan ST would put me at ease, sooner rather than later preferably. So to to other supporters what are your expectations & what positions do you think we are in need of? I really do believe in the 'process' & progress the club have adopted. I'm really excited about next season & looking forward to this season's campaign.

UTV

I don't wish to come across negative but I see a season of struggle and a relegation battle (I said this before our lack of signings too so isn't a knee jerk reaction).

I think a lot of people that think we'll be comfortably mid-table are in for a surprise.

There are some really solid L1 sides in this league.

I'd have to hope that Morecambe, Cambridge, Cheltenham, FGR and Fleetwood have poor seasons and we can finish above them all.

You can split the league into about 12 teams that will be looking to go up. About 6 teams that will be fine. And then those 5 + us to try and avoid the bottom 4.

Advert

1 hour ago, Bald Eagle said:

And not forgetting the final nail in our promotion coffin by ridiculously thinking they could get better value and get the job done by signing Edmonson and Harratt rather than breaking the bank for the likes of Ryan Loft or Kane Hemmings.

That’s unfair point.it’s certainly not ridiculous to think that two proven forwards could offer more than two lads who have barely played  

Hemmings and Loft both proven players. Not one person wanted us to break the bank or break the budget for players so can we please stop with that myth. At the time I was very vocal in my disappointment at the amount of loans in January. I got 2 right 2 wrong. But it the long run, none of these players have ended up staying with us and left us with an area to fill this season. I think both Loft and Hemmings could have been useful in this division as well. Harratt I still think flattered to deceive at times, he wasn’t very good other than against Mansfield and then the last couple of games. 

Hemmings ended up with 8 in 22

Loft only 1 in 13 but that was against us. 

Harratt and edmonson did well but it’s not ridiculous for anyone to want a proven forward (that wouldn’t have broken the bank) rather than two young players. Remember we had just sold Rodney. Remember we did have that spell without Wilson and Proctor where we struggled up top. We only started to get back to form when they returned. Don’t think we got Jan nailed personally - other than selling Rodney and the fantastic Hall signing. 

That’s unfair point.it’s certainly not ridiculous to think that two proven forwards could offer more than two lads who have barely played  
Hemmings and Loft both proven players. Not one person wanted us to break the bank or break the budget for players so can we please stop with that myth.
I can't be bothered to trawl back through old posts, but you're definitely wrong to say that nobody wanted us to break the wage structure.

It might not of been yourself, but I can definitely remember one poster banging on and on and on about it.

I said this last season but i would sooner have players come in who want to bust a gut to get their wage up with bonuses by performing well than a player coming in on 6k a week who doesn't give a monkey's chuff if we finish 15th or 24th as long as they are getting their 6k for 2 or 3yrs

I wish we'd all unite and stop bickering. 

I'm sure plenty of folk aren't much for some of my posts .

We've got superb owners, we've had 3 near misses with non league. A new manager got rid of the deadwood as he called it and was proved completely correct. Within 13 months of the win against Newport that started our move away from the relegation zone we were embedded in the thick of a promotion season. 

We've gone from a charlatan bringing his own pies in the boot of his car to a shirt reveal and season ticket collection day tomorrow with a bar, refreshments, photo with trophy and other stuff to attract folk. 

About to play Derby,Wednesday, Pompey etc instead of our usual 68 away fans in the Hamil. 

Yes the lack of signings and rumours of Injuries are a bit disconcerting but I'm sure we can all sing off the same hymn sheet. 

I don't agree with RZ on Clarke but I don't think we need to beat him with a stick about it any more. Let it go. We're league one .

Valiant593 in my view has always posted well. I'm sure I've not agreed with everything he's written but I've certainly never had him  down as someone to block.

Be a lot happier place if we just agree to disagree. By all means offer a counter argument but personal stuff against posters isn't a good look is it.

Let's get behind the club and it could be a difficult season who knows but it will be a lot easier if we all want the same goal . 

34 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Hemmings and Loft both proven players. Not one person wanted us to break the bank or break the budget for players so can we please stop with that myth. At the time I was very vocal in my disappointment at the amount of loans in January. I got 2 right 2 wrong. But it the long run, none of these players have ended up staying with us and left us with an area to fill this season. I think both Loft and Hemmings could have been useful in this division as well. Harratt I still think flattered to deceive at times, he wasn’t very good other than against Mansfield and then the last couple of games. 

Hemmings ended up with 8 in 22

Loft only 1 in 13 but that was against us. 

Harratt and edmonson did well but it’s not ridiculous for anyone to want a proven forward (that wouldn’t have broken the bank) rather than two young players. Remember we had just sold Rodney. Remember we did have that spell without Wilson and Proctor where we struggled up top. We only started to get back to form when they returned. Don’t think we got Jan nailed personally - other than selling Rodney and the fantastic Hall signing. 

I agree. For our most important game of the season (Swindon) we gambled with a team we’d never played before basically because Proctor was unfit, and either by luck or good judgement (hopefully a bit of the first and lots of the second) looked brilliant in that and what was then most important game of the season (P/O Final obvs).

I thought Hemings looked decent when we played Burton in the Cup - was it him who threw his gloves down when he was subbed though? - and would the overall result have been different with him in the side, impossible to say.

Harratt obviously played a massive part in both games vs Mansfield and Edmondson played a blinder vs Exeter. So have we blundered by not signing either of those and releasing Taylor?

2 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

We've got superb owners, we've had 3 near misses with non league. A new manager got rid of the deadwood as he called it and was proved completely correct. Within 13 months of the win against Newport that started our move away from the relegation zone we were embedded in the thick of a promotion season. 

We've gone from a charlatan bringing his own pies in the boot of his car to a shirt reveal and season ticket collection day tomorrow with a bar, refreshments, photo with trophy and other stuff to attract folk. 

About to play Derby,Wednesday, Pompey etc instead of our usual 68 away fans in the Hamil. 

Yes the lack of signings and rumours of Injuries are a bit disconcerting but I'm sure we can all sing off the same hymn sheet. 

I don't agree with RZ on Clarke but I don't think we need to beat him with a stick about it any more. Let it go. We're league one .

Valiant593 in my view has always posted well. I'm sure I've not agreed with everything he's written but he's certainly never had me down as someone to block.

Be a lot happier place if we just agree to disagree. By all means offer a counter argument but personal stuff against posters isn't a good look is it.

Let's get behind the club and it could be a difficult season who knows but it will be a lot easier if we all want the same goal . 

Great Post, what OVF should be all about.

14 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Valiant593 in my view has always posted well. I'm sure I've not agreed with everything he's written but I've certainly never had him  down as someone to block.

Great to hear/ see someone posting about tolerance and acceptance, and again reminding us all of the remarkable progress made.

Thanks Darren 1810 👏👏👏

11 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

I wonder if this match has been lined up with a view to us signing a player or two?

I think these sort of things are a great idea as you never know if you can unearth that one special player,I guess this will be against our young lads as well.

This could feature some players released by clubs higher up and those lads who just want to try and make it in the EFL. Nowt lose in sending DF and Dunn to this

11 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

I wonder if this match has been lined up with a view to us signing a player or two?

These games are played every year featuring lots of young players who have been released from academies. You tend to get scouts from the UK and US who can offer scholarships.

We actually hosted this game at Vale Park a couple of years ago behind closed doors.

15 hours ago, efsb said:

At the forum last night DF stated that it was only in the last week that players were starting to become available that we were interested in, as a result of their current clubs’ own dealings, or lack of. We are somewhat at the mercy of a domino/ripple effect therefore, if we are going to get the players we want. There was also the implication that the better loans come at the end of the window, once players realise that they’re not going to get games so will look elsewhere. The implication was that we have to play the market to get what we want.

Also - as well as the Premier league player being spoken to on Zoom today that DC mentioned, one player who’d been shown round yesterday was on the car park talking to DF/DC’s PA. No idea who he was.

he was the postman!😄

44 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Brilliant post mate. Spot on.

47 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Top post as usual

Archived