onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

Do we think something has gone wrong this week... Everyone, including Colin Garlick seemed pretty certain there would be some signings this week. Has something fell through last minute?

All speculation of course but find it strange that we've not announced a signing this week after the comments earlier in the week coming out of the club.

Advert

1 hour ago, mvb said:

Cass was a done deal last Cristmas , so the only new face is Ojo , but we were told by DF and Garlic at the supporters club meeting last night that they are continually looking at players all through a season , think something isnt adding up , but as fans all we can do is voice our opinions on here , very nervous week ahead , potentially start the season with only 14/15 fit players  

Just don’t see the logic in that about Cass.  Even if it was agreed in Jan it didn’t happen then.  It may never have happened, but it has now.  He was not available from Feb onwards yes he was injured, but he was also a Newcastle player again.  Gibbo was rumoured to be going in Jan but for injury, so does that mean he technically left then and not in the summer? The answer is neither player was transferred until this summer, and are both new recruits for ourselves/Brizzle.
Cass is available for selection now but wasn’t for Wembley, so is a new signing for the season, with the benefit of both parties knowing one another thus reducing the risk.   If Politic came back now he would also be a new signing. Both were loanees H1 last season, both returned to parent clubs.
Agree with you where would have preferred new bodies in, but only if they are of a calibre to move us forward.  I would envisage a couple of loan signings pre Fleetwood if we are unable to get permanent signings until later in the window.

6 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

Do we think something has gone wrong this week... Everyone, including Colin Garlick seemed pretty certain there would be some signings this week. Has something fell through last minute?

All speculation of course but find it strange that we've not announced a signing this week after the comments earlier in the week coming out of the club.

More than likely. We are probably on targets C, D and E now. 

Somethings not right.

7 hours ago, Osh said:

Agreed Tony.

And from there we can spend another season or two (possibly three) getting the team and the club prepared to get in to the Championship.

Its going to take time.  I'm 61 in a few weeks time; will we ever play in the Prem...?? Probably not and not in my lifetime (not that i'm interested in the Prem, it bores the life out of me).  Will we play in the Championship...??  Absolutely believe we will and within the next 5 years.

BUT it will take time, patients and faith.

KTF and UTV

Osh just a comment, surely every game matters 'til Vale have achieved their goal(s) whether they be mathematically safe from relegation or mathematically sure of promotion etc. There are no certainties in football, eg Vale can beat a top ream but lose to a team adrift at the bottom of the league so every game matters as it is potentially points to be gained.

And let's not get into entertaining the paying public, players/managers reputations being on the line and success breeds confidence!!

7 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

They wouldn't admit they were wrong in a public forum, even if they were. There would be an overriding reason which us fans didn't understand due to the complexities of the recruitment process. 

yeh , we must be thick!

Whilst I agree with a wage structure, Does anyone think that being to rigid on that is holding back our ability to sign our players. At the end of the day, you go up a league, naturally you have to pay more for both your current squad and new players into the club…. But… if you are trying to fit ex-championship, seasoned L1 pro’s into that structure, I’m sure that’ll be incredibly hard.

It does seem like (piecing together threads of conversation) that our squad (new and old) have to sign up to this performance related structure, which for some will work and for others it will be a hard no!

Going to be interesting to see who we do get in and I’m sure that might tell the story….Cass and Ojo I can see that it fits the structure of lower L1/upper L2 wage or performance related.

Like some of said, it’s odd that some at the club thought we’d sign a few this week… with 1 week to go, it’ll be interesting to see who starts, at this rate, David Dunn might have to get his boots on

I don't think it matters who we sign now 2bh, the starting 11 will almost certainly be made up of players already at the club.

It's too late to bed players in to our system before the opening weekend.

Any signings made between now & the start of the season will take a couple of weeks to fit into the way we want to play & they'll need to train with the rest of the squad. DC ain't chucking nobody in unless they're an absolute stunner of a signing.

It's really frustrating that we havent been able to get a few more over the line & I'm sure DC is quietly frustrated with that, which manager wouldnt be.

At the forum last night DF stated that it was only in the last week that players were starting to become available that we were interested in, as a result of their current clubs’ own dealings, or lack of. We are somewhat at the mercy of a domino/ripple effect therefore, if we are going to get the players we want. There was also the implication that the better loans come at the end of the window, once players realise that they’re not going to get games so will look elsewhere. The implication was that we have to play the market to get what we want.

Also - as well as the Premier league player being spoken to on Zoom today that DC mentioned, one player who’d been shown round yesterday was on the car park talking to DF/DC’s PA. No idea who he was.

At times I feel like 'What's going on? Why no signings? What are they playing at? Do they realise that the season starts in a weeks time?

Then, I try to gather myself and apply a little 'level headedness'. It's not always easy to do that when you read some people's comments on here who are getting impatient, nervous, frustrated etc. This too is also understandable.

There's got to be many variables when signing a new player, not just the financial side. Ability age, experience, potential to improve at Vale/ potential to be a key asset to sell on, personality, position, versatility, injury prone, other potential players that are in competition for this position etc.

We may not be getting our first choice targets (although maybe we will be? Who knows?) but I for one fully trust the recruitment team. They have the full picture. We don't. They have a decent track record. We got promotion after all.

I look at Notts Forest signing of Jessie Lingard. Time will tell if it's a good signing. He's gone on a free but on a ridiculous wage. However, they've covered themselves with a one year contract. If they do get relegated, they are not stuck with a massive wage bill in the Championship. This kind of thinking could be the same with Vale? We want progress but sustainable growth.

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

Some of those figures make little sense.  Who is that Evans youth at Crewe on £5.5k a week???

Apparently he was on loan from Everton, so they probably paid a fair percentage of that figure.

He played for Bristol Rovers last season.

48 minutes ago, Vale Ball said:
1 hour ago, ValeForever. said:

Somethings not right.

Its the wages the players are demanding we are in a different market now. DC has said wants quality over quantity well to get that u probably going to have to break the wage structure considerably. There are a lot of big hitters in league one with alot higher budgets than ours if we finish 15th it's a really good season. We have accept that unfortunately we are just not a big club in this league and have been in the doldrums for 20 years, times have moved on and wages have gone through the roof. I have been told even at non league level northern prem players are demanding more inflation is not helping, some teams just can't hold onto there players it's crazy.

Archived