onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

51 minutes ago, Birches Head Fred said:

I agree apart from the 'wow' signing, my worry is that whoever signs now will be seen in a negative light by the same old same olds instead of giving these signings the benefit of time and patience. 

Disagree. Didn’t see many (if any) complaining about the cass and ojo signings. 

Advert

I'd rather sign good players who potentially improve the squad and provide viable options on the 31 August than the likes of Theo Robinson and Zac Mills now just to placate a few fans. If we don't sign good players by 1 September, by all means moan your bags off at that point

Delays in signing players when we only have 17 - 2 injuries away from affecting competitiveness with the 5 subs rule - is a source of worry. However, I'd be more worried if we had signed players I thought were not good enough to keep us in the division. All at the club show awareness of this fan insecurity and they make every effort to communicate pro-actively with the fan base. They present a professional front and also one that is investing significantly in the club with an ambitious but sensible plan.  

17 minutes ago, Santa said:

There’s moaning, then there’s moaning about moaners.

And then there’s having a go at fans because of how they might react to something that hasn’t happened yet.

Oh, here we go again!… 

I’d just like to start up a new class of people that moan about people who moan about people who are moaning about transfer business.

1 hour ago, ValeGez said:

Fair reply ‘Bill’ 👍

‘Imploding’ not directed at anyone in particular but we all know from the nature of some posts that these mindsets expect too much immediately and in such a scenario that will definitely happen.

As for the first few games , pretty sure we’ll be well covered for players , it might not be to some peoples liking but even the best prepared sometimes have an unexpected poor start to the season , let’s hope it’s not us 👍

UTV 

Yes, there'll be some moaners no doubt whatever sort of start we get!

Good to read your reassurance about positional coverage on the playing side.

16 minutes ago, Valiant62 said:

Oh, here we go again!… 

I’d just like to start up a new class of people that moan about people who moan about people who are moaning about transfer business.

😃 It does get tedious, he moaned 🤭

I think we need some activity!

4 hours ago, darren1810 said:

…i get the impression some fans think that because the season is only 11 days away any new signings have been sat on their backside since May, getting fat , going on holiday and watching daytime TV….

How dare you come on here and make an example of my lifestyle.  What gives you the right to compare super fit professional sportsmen with me?

51 minutes ago, Warren said:

Delays in signing players when we only have 17 - 2 injuries away from affecting competitiveness with the 5 subs rule - is a source of worry. However, I'd be more worried if we had signed players I thought were not good enough to keep us in the division. All at the club show awareness of this fan insecurity and they make every effort to communicate pro-actively with the fan base. They present a professional front and also one that is investing significantly in the club with an ambitious but sensible plan.  

I think this is the major danger. If we pick up a few injuries in the next week in key positions as pre-season continues to ramp up then it leaves us very vulnerable. Very vulnerable indeed. The "process" goes out of the window if we have to panic sign with a week to go because we've left ourselves vulnerable to eventualities that almost always happen... 

If we had players "lined up" then they'd have signed by now. I'm concerned that we're sleepwalking into the season with a crisis waiting to happen because we're understaffed on the playing side.

2 hours ago, ValeGez said:

Despite popular opinion that we have ‘missed out’ on all these players I don’t think that’s always the case .

Plenty will have approached us wanting to come and no doubt a good many that people on here would have liked . 
Looking at it from a different perspective maybe a lot of those have been turned down because they were not what we required .

Darrell has already alluded to this in the CS/DC/DF video - quality player lined up, bring him in for interview, decided not what we required . This is hardly ‘missing out’ . So it works both ways . 
Yes it’s quite obvious that not everything has gone to plan so far but I don’t think you’ll find a Club where it has . 
It’s quite refreshing that hopefully we haven’t or aren’t bringing people in on stupid money just out of desperation.

Having said that no doubt some on here will implode if we’re not top of the league after three games ! 
Tough league, hoping we do well of course but keeping a measured expectation in this first year would do us all good .

UTV

That sounds to me like we're holding out for players who don't exist within our budget. I hope I'm wrong. 

6 minutes ago, bobbymanc said:

I think this is the major danger. If we pick up a few injuries in the next week in key positions as pre-season continues to ramp up then it leaves us very vulnerable. Very vulnerable indeed. The "process" goes out of the window if we have to panic sign with a week to go because we've left ourselves vulnerable to eventualities that almost always happen... 

If we had players "lined up" then they'd have signed by now. I'm concerned that we're sleepwalking into the season with a crisis waiting to happen because we're understaffed on the playing side.

Sleepwalking is exactly how it feels and I do worry that DC is showing too much loyalty to the players from last season. I still think we need 5 decent players that will fit into the first team. There is no way I would have gone into this season with Stone as number one but it looks like this is going to be the case. We are 11 days until the new season and players need to come in and get up to speed, understand the system and get to know their teammates. We seem to leaving it short on time to have built a well-established squad. In my opinion.

I'd expect at least one today as it will have been 48 hours since the return from Spain and you'd assume any deals that were struck whilst we were out there would be finalised fairly soon. If not, it would appear nothing was formally agreed in that week and questions will have to be asked as to whether all of the club's key operators being abroad has hindered matters.

Definitely an interesting summer and can serve as a case study for future planning - do you need 6 friendlies or can you get by with 2? Is it best to do business early or late? I admire the club's bravery and commitment to their principles which are out of kilter with the mainstream approach.

Archived