onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

I think you can hold the view that the management know what they're doing whilst also believing this summer hasn't entirely gone to plan.
I think Clarke and Flitcroft are quite good. I think they had a good plan for the summer. I don't think that plan would have been 2 signings a week and a half before the first game!
We'll be fine, but believing the summer has been a difficult one is not the same as doubting the management. I think we've been outbid for a number of targets and ideally would have had more players in for the Spain trip.
I would imagine that no summer ever goes to plan for any club. You will always miss out on targets. The key is finding the balace of holding out for your higher level targets but not holding out that long that if you miss out on them that your remaining targets sign elsewhere. If you don't choose targets than have aspirations of playing for a club higher up the spectrum then you aren't going to improve, but you may well complete your squad early.

Advert

What makes me chuckle and i might be mis-interpreting posts.

But i get the impression some fans think that because the season is only 11 days away any new signings have been sat on their backside since May, getting fat , going on holiday and watching daytime TV.

There is a very good chance the majority have been training with their current club and are totally fit ( still under contract )  or the flip side is anyone without a club who is a self respecting footballer will of fixed themselves up somewhere to keep themselves in shape. Such as fitness trainer or local club.

Whilst i do agree that in an ideal world they were in Spain and getting used to how we play and the character of the club we aren't going to be signing players who are unfit .

I think we might surprise a few by signing players already contracted elsewhere not just free agents. 

The club is being re-built, under new management. We are now in year 4, 1 step upwards. The ground is being modernised, the playing side has been restructured to develop players not just to throw money at players and expect success but a slower system. Turning a club around takes time without unlimited money, whether players arrive this week or in August there is plenty of time to pick up 50 points by May.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

4 hours ago, tisdeano said:

We may have missed out on targets , so what ? Lee Trundle was once en route to sign for us till he got a phone call, constantly saying we are finding it hard is achieving absolutely nothing , you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to know we need more players. In , ramming this down everyone’s throat gets a bit tiresome

My view is simple , DC since joining the club has proven himself , it could go wrong of course , that’s life

Yeah missing out on targets (if it’s the case we have) would not be something exclusive to us. Just now Pompey had a deal in place to sign Colby Bishop from Accy then got gazumped at the last second by Blackpool. It happens all the time at all levels.

58 minutes ago, Guppys left peg said:

Yeah missing out on targets (if it’s the case we have) would not be something exclusive to us. Just now Pompey had a deal in place to sign Colby Bishop from Accy then got gazumped at the last second by Blackpool. It happens all the time at all levels.

Good point. And neither would it be exclusive to us just this season. We will have been missing out on targets for years and I am sure we will have missed out on one or two this summer.

But football clubs miss out on targets all the time… DC and Flickers won’t have a plan A list and nothing else… they will have a pool of preferred players and will be balancing off budgets / strengths / weaknesses (and how they can be countered by other in the squad).

I can’t imagine any football club outside the top of the prem get all their first choice players.

Its perfectly possible to have a very successful plan B, C or even D.

It just feels worse for us because we are not making wholesale change… we have a very solid base to build on and are not in a rush and can take our time to maximise our chances of getting it right.

KTF

UTV

I'm sure there is a plan in place, but plan A doesn't always go as smoothly as hoped for.  Let's hope that plans B & C are also in place.  I'm not getting panicky, but the season starts a week on Saturday and I'm not totally sure exactly how many contracted (fit) players we'll have for that first match? We certainly still have only one goalkeeper on the books, so that could be interesting.  Come on you Vale!

Not concerned at all about the lack of signings… they will come.

I’m still convinced we will see a wow signing. Expecting 3 permanent signings before middle of next week with 3 further loans late August.

Maybe today will be the day so we can change the narrative.🤞

Despite popular opinion that we have ‘missed out’ on all these players I don’t think that’s always the case .

Plenty will have approached us wanting to come and no doubt a good many that people on here would have liked . 
Looking at it from a different perspective maybe a lot of those have been turned down because they were not what we required .

Darrell has already alluded to this in the CS/DC/DF video - quality player lined up, bring him in for interview, decided not what we required . This is hardly ‘missing out’ . So it works both ways . 
Yes it’s quite obvious that not everything has gone to plan so far but I don’t think you’ll find a Club where it has . 
It’s quite refreshing that hopefully we haven’t or aren’t bringing people in on stupid money just out of desperation.

Having said that no doubt some on here will implode if we’re not top of the league after three games ! 
Tough league, hoping we do well of course but keeping a measured expectation in this first year would do us all good .

UTV

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:

The club is being re-built, under new management. We are now in year 4, 1 step upwards. The ground is being modernised, the playing side has been restructured to develop players not just to throw money at players and expect success but a slower system. Turning a club around takes time without unlimited money, whether players arrive this week or in August there is plenty of time to pick up 50 points by May.

Obviously may not happen this season, but it's noteworthy that Fleetwood stayed up on 40 points last season.

Perhaps a reflection of the two sections of the league.

30 minutes ago, ValeGez said:

Despite popular opinion that we have ‘missed out’ on all these players I don’t think that’s always the case .

Plenty will have approached us wanting to come and no doubt a good many that people on here would have liked . 
Looking at it from a different perspective maybe a lot of those have been turned down because they were not what we required .

Darrell has already alluded to this in the CS/DC/DF video - quality player lined up, bring him in for interview, decided not what we required . This is hardly ‘missing out’ . So it works both ways . 
Yes it’s quite obvious that not everything has gone to plan so far but I don’t think you’ll find a Club where it has . 
It’s quite refreshing that hopefully we haven’t or aren’t bringing people in on stupid money just out of desperation.

Having said that no doubt some on here will implode if we’re not top of the league after three games ! 
Tough league, hoping we do well of course but keeping a measured expectation in this first year would do us all good .

UTV

A nice, balanced post.  I'm not "imploding" about the (non) signings and I certainly won't be one of those "imploding" if we're not near the top after the first few matches.  However,  I am genuinely concerned that we'll have enough(fit) personnel to field balanced sides to see us through those first few fixtures.

46 minutes ago, MBE said:

Not concerned at all about the lack of signings… they will come.

I’m still convinced we will see a wow signing. Expecting 3 permanent signings before middle of next week with 3 further loans late August.

Maybe today will be the day so we can change the narrative.🤞

I agree apart from the 'wow' signing, my worry is that whoever signs now will be seen in a negative light by the same old same olds instead of giving these signings the benefit of time and patience. 

5 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

A nice, balanced post.  I'm not "imploding" about the (non) signings and I certainly won't be one of those "imploding" if we're not near the top after the first few matches.  However,  I am genuinely concerned that we'll have enough(fit) personnel to field balanced sides to see us through those first few fixtures.

Fair reply ‘Bill’ 👍

‘Imploding’ not directed at anyone in particular but we all know from the nature of some posts that these mindsets expect too much immediately and in such a scenario that will definitely happen.

As for the first few games , pretty sure we’ll be well covered for players , it might not be to some peoples liking but even the best prepared sometimes have an unexpected poor start to the season , let’s hope it’s not us 👍

UTV 

Should be an exciting fortnight. You'd hope for around 3 signings, a fans forum on Thursday, the away kit reveal and our first game back in League 1. 
Hopefully the buzz begins to build over the coming days!
I dread to think what the site would be like if one of our stars was snatched away at the end of August.

Archived