onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

1 hour ago, Trumpingtonvale said:

Didn’t DC say in the video that they’re aiming to/would hope to get 75% of the recruitment right? Would be interesting to see folks comments on here whether or not we think the club’s met that goal so far over the last 17/18 months.

Obviously some signings have divided opinion on how successful they’ve been so perhaps might be too subjective a metric to use, however, can we identify more than 4 or 5 out of the 16-20 players signed in the last 18 months that were absolute duffers?

Johnson,Connor,Amos weren't so good.

I don't honestly think Holy was terrible. Amos was cover,Connor was homesick,we got a fee for Johnson.

Personally Pett,Cass,Politic,Hall, Benning,Garrity,Wilson,Proctor,Stone were successes.

Jury out on Walker and Jones due to injuries,Hussey,Lloyd was unlucky with injury. Charsley did ok and Robinson needs game time.

The loans of Edmondson and Harratt were good signings and I don't think Martin was a bad signing.

I don't think Covolan was a good signing IMO.

We got a fee for Hurst,Martin,Rodney and Taylor. 21 different goalscorers last season too.

All in all I think Clarke and his backroom staff are shrewd operators,as Sade would say...

Advert

27 minutes ago, DazFred said:

Johnson,Connor,Amos weren't so good.

I don't honestly think Holy was terrible. Amos was cover,Connor was homesick,we got a fee for Johnson.

Personally Pett,Cass,Politic,Hall, Benning,Garrity,Wilson,Proctor,Stone were successes.

Jury out on Walker and Jones due to injuries,Hussey,Lloyd was unlucky with injury. Charsley did ok and Robinson needs game time.

The loans of Edmondson and Harratt were good signings and I don't think Martin was a bad signing.

I don't think Covolan was a good signing IMO.

We got a fee for Hurst,Martin,Rodney and Taylor. 21 different goalscorers last season too.

All in all I think Clarke and his backroom staff are shrewd operators,as Sade would say...

I think there was a clue with Covolan which was his age. If he had been 22 and coming up from the National League it can be seen as an acquisition with potential. But at age 29 he is likely playing at his max level and can't improve much if at all. Of course in most management positions in life I get sacked for age discrimination for saying such a thing! 

1 minute ago, Warren said:

Of course in most management positions in life I get sacked for age discrimination for saying such a thing! 

Think you are safe mate - you couldn't have said it as this just a rumour thread 😍 

1 hour ago, DazFred said:

I don't honestly think Holy was terrible.

Come on. He was 7ft standing still and 4ft 3 when he jumped. He was <ovf censored> awful. It was no coincidence that our form took a massive upturn when he was dropped.

9 minutes ago, Mellor! said:

Come on. He was 7ft standing still and 4ft 3 when he jumped. He was <ovf censored> awful. It was no coincidence that our form took a massive upturn when he was dropped.

I'll agree to a point.

I think the goal at Colchester was the end for him. However he only conceded 5 goals in 9 games! 

It's my first season of regular footie since the likes of Leo Fasan in goal....

I suppose Holy was a bit like Reggie up front....6 foot 6 and I don't think he scored a header

personal view

Miracle buys - Hall, Garrity, Wilson

Excellent signings - Cass, Pett, Proctor

Good - Walker, Benning, Stone, Politic, Harratt

Alright - Jones, Martin, Charsley, Edmonson

Poor - Covolan, Johnson, Amos, Lloyd, Hussey (so far)

Abysmal - Holy, Cooper

Jury's out - Robinson, Ojo

I've factored in injury-proneness - Jones, Proctor and Walker deserve higher based on quality but haven't been available enough and availability is a key attribute.

Considering it's harder to sign good players than bad players, it's a very good record. Those miracle signings are the type to transform a club. Those three will likely be building blocks for 2-3 seasons.

There are also some poor signings and a number of merely okay signings. I think goalkeeper is a clear weak point and that's also the hardest position to scout through data. It's a massively improved recruitment system, but not infallible!

8 hours ago, Alsager Whites said:

personal view

Abysmal - Holy, Cooper

I've factored in injury-proneness - Jones, Proctor and Walker deserve higher based on quality but haven't been available enough and availability is a key attribute.

Considering it's harder to sign good players than bad players, it's a very good record. Those miracle signings are the type to transform a club. Those three will likely be building blocks for 2-3 seasons.

There are also some poor signings and a number of merely okay signings. I think goalkeeper is a clear weak point and that's also the hardest position to scout through data. It's a massively improved recruitment system, but not infallible!

Love the grading system.

Very clear 👍

9 hours ago, Alsager Whites said:

personal view

Abysmal - Holy, Cooper

This is excellent. Also when you consider we no longer have most of the poor / abysmal signings, it's quite reassuring.

Walker has to move up to excellent. His passing and aggression is phenomenal, he was the main reason (in my opinion) we had the great run up to Hartlepool game and also (when he got injured) the main reason we dropped off.

Add in that he can play as DM, CM or even centre half. Quality player.

12 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

I’d say Holy, Cooper, Covalon, Johnson and Hussey were / have been poor signings. The rest were either decent or superb 

Hussey i do think is a decent player but does he fit with the wing back system(where pace is the key) not really, Johnson even though he rarely played was sold for a profit(good business that), the other 3 i personally agree with

Very harsh on Covolan and Hussy IMO. One had a lot more good days than bad (though the lows were spectacular), the other was very solid, helped turn around our season and obviously played through injury (you did asterisk Hussey, so fair enough - he was pretty bad immediately before Mal took over).

Also, I love Johnson as a model for when signings aren't right - used as a backup, then moved on for cash. He seems to have shown he wasn't a poor player in his time since Vale too - just wasn't what we were looking for.

1 hour ago, gavcradd said:

Walker has to move up to excellent. His passing and aggression is phenomenal, he was the main reason (in my opinion) we had the great run up to Hartlepool game and also (when he got injured) the main reason we dropped off.

Add in that he can play as DM, CM or even centre half. Quality player.

I think he's great but he only played in 28 games due to injury. Hard to call a signing excellent if they're injured for nearly half the season.

48 minutes ago, valeitup said:

Very harsh on Covolan and Hussy IMO. One had a lot more good days than bad (though the lows were spectacular), the other was very solid, helped turn around our season and obviously played through injury (you did asterisk Hussey, so fair enough - he was pretty bad immediately before Mal took over).

Also, I love Johnson as a model for when signings aren't right - used as a backup, then moved on for cash. He seems to have shown he wasn't a poor player in his time since Vale too - just wasn't what we were looking for.

Covolan was signed to be our first-choice and within 6 months had been ostracised from the first-team before being loaned back to non-league where he was signed from.

2 red cards and not many fantastic performances, and the experiment has been abandoned within the year. 

Has to be a poor signing for me. If you're moving on from your first-choice keeper in 6 months, it's not gone well.

Hussey I really didn't think was very good at all.

If the Blackman move does come off it shows how the quality of the club's targets have changed.

In one season, we will have gone from a keeper whose highest level had been the National League and had zero Football League experience to one who has played almost half of his career games in the Championship...

Archived