onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

Have a funny feeling that Derby might struggle. Too many negatives have upset the vibe of that once great club; just cause they are former big club means bugger all when the ref blows the whistle for kick off

Advert

16 minutes ago, Osh said:

Have a funny feeling that Derby might struggle. Too many negatives have upset the vibe of that once great club; just cause they are former big club means bugger all when the ref blows the whistle for kick off

The bookmakers seem to have them as circa fourth favourites and implying they are likely to end up in the playoffs. I get that because of the disruption you refer to possibly mediated by the new ownership being a local businessman and ardent supporter. Big clubs coming down to League 1 aren't certainties to go back as Sheffield Wednesday showed. Also a very well supported team in Ipswich Town. 

The bookmakers seem to have them as circa fourth favourites and implying they are likely to end up in the playoffs. I get that because of the disruption you refer to possibly mediated by the new ownership being a local businessman and ardent supporter. Big clubs coming down to League 1 aren't certainties to go back as Sheffield Wednesday showed. Also a very well supported team in Ipswich Town. 
Took Sunderland a fair while to get back up too

2 hours ago, PV1973 said:

I think Taylor has moved to play and also to further his career by playing more games and getting some consistency. All with a view for his next move. I think it’s a stepping stone for him. You’re right, moves are based on stats and frankly him sitting here on the bench is going to do him no good at all. It’s a bold move to go and back himself at a club where realistically they’ve probably hit their glass ceiling of achievement. 

In an ideal world we probably think he should be staying to fight for a place, I know we are all rose tinted and view ourselves as a good club (which we are) but I can see exactly why he’s gone. 

Agree with what you say there PV but also Taylor's face didn't seem to fit at PVFC under DC/DF and I think he knew he had to move. Sad really as the guy has talent, he was outstanding in a Vale shirt in the 2019/20 season and again when he did play under DC/AC particularly in the play-offs and at Wembley.

Being selfish, as a Vale fan I remember being thrilled to watch Jonny Green and Ray Walker play, it was worth paying just to watch them and I feel Taylor is in the same mold. It was worth 100x the ESPN+ fee just to see the two Prem Lge passes and skill from JT at Wembley never mind the Vale win and I want the buzz of knowing that level of skill could happen every time I tune in to watch the Vale

I don't know what was said by DC/DF to Taylor before he left but from what was allegedly said and intimated in the Sentinel that Taylor is behind the likes of Garrity and others in the pecking order, including Ojo who's yet to kick a ball for Vale. I would like DF/DC to explain that alleged statement especially as we're moving into a higher league and anticipate skill will be at more of a premium and IMHO Taylor does and has done in a Vale shirt everything the likes of Garrity, Pett and Walker have done and more.

I could be wrong about Taylor and I hope Garrity scores 20 next season but losing Taylor and Gibbo doesn't seem good business to me. Sometimes it's not the players you sign that makes the difference it's the players you lose although IMHO Vale do need to strengthen certain areas even if both had stayed.

23 minutes ago, DazFred said:

Glad to see Aaron Martin keeping a clean sheet in a 1-0 win against the massive Swindle...hilarious to see that it was a strong starting line up tooimage.thumb.png.ce199f062471a2b6a5168c46a597da62.png

I hope Aaron gave McKirdy a tidy reminder, maybe ask him if he intends being the penalty taker this season.

1 hour ago, Paul6754 said:

Agree with what you say there PV but also Taylor's face didn't seem to fit at PVFC under DC/DF and I think he knew he had to move. Sad really as the guy has talent, he was outstanding in a Vale shirt in the 2019/20 season and again when he did play under DC/AC particularly in the play-offs and at Wembley.

Face doesn’t fit, or DC and the club as a whole think we have a) better players, and b) budget can be better used elsewhere given where they saw Jake in the pecking order.   

2019/20 was only really 2019, as his last game that season was 4/1/2020.  That is almost 3 years ago, and since then he has performed poorly at Scunthorpe, and bar the odd good cameo, including setting up the winner atHartlepool and a good game at Wembley when we were totally dominant he has not shown much to justify what was rumoured to be one of the top wages at the club.  If in their eyes he is 5th / 6th Choice centre mid then that is what he is.  

If he had done well for club and we sold him Forest were due the lions  share of the profit, we have now negated that and have a sell on clause if he flies at Morecambe.

Face doesn’t fit makes it sound like a non football decision - it is actually a thought out strategy as a club where DC/DF/AC will live or die on getting most of their decisions right or wrong.

Managers will always pick what they feel will be a winning side, and as they don’t feel Jake fits with that then it’s fine by me.  I trust them to get the balance right.

2 minutes ago, Bald Eagle said:

Face doesn’t fit makes it sound like a non football decision - it is actually a thought out strategy as a club where DC/DF/AC will live or die on getting most of their decisions right or wrong.

Didn’t DC say in the video that they’re aiming to/would hope to get 75% of the recruitment right? Would be interesting to see folks comments on here whether or not we think the club’s met that goal so far over the last 17/18 months.

Obviously some signings have divided opinion on how successful they’ve been so perhaps might be too subjective a metric to use, however, can we identify more than 4 or 5 out of the 16-20 players signed in the last 18 months that were absolute duffers?

25 minutes ago, Trumpingtonvale said:

Didn’t DC say in the video that they’re aiming to/would hope to get 75% of the recruitment right? Would be interesting to see folks comments on here whether or not we think the club’s met that goal so far over the last 17/18 months.

Obviously some signings have divided opinion on how successful they’ve been so perhaps might be too subjective a metric to use, however, can we identify more than 4 or 5 out of the 16-20 players signed in the last 18 months that were absolute duffers?

Yes, and Rudgie used to say he hoped to be right more often than he was wrong so they have set a high target.

For me only Holy and Cooper duffers.

Benning started slowly but finished the season like an express train, and whilst Hussey was not performing as well as I hoped he still made some valuable contributions in Jan and Feb when we were going through a sticky patch, both defensively and set play delivery leading to valuable goals/points

Archived