onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

1 hour ago, Row L said:

I'm sure hat you didn't mean it to sound negative and am also sure that we have missed out on lots of quality players, and lots of crap one. Let the management do their job and I am sure that we will sign the quality players that we are looking for when the deals can be done 🙂

May as well close the forum then, just have a news feed.

Advert

I know he is only 17 but i wonder if the lad McDermott could be our surprise package this season,he seems to be getting good reviews,looks to have pace and is tricky. I remember DC saying he isn't scared of putting young lads in as he believes if they are good enough then they are old enough.

Possibly one for the EFL Trophy games and see how he goes

13 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I know he is only 17 but i wonder if the lad McDermott could be our surprise package this season,he seems to be getting good reviews,looks to have pace and is tricky. I remember DC saying he isn't scared of putting young lads in as he believes if they are good enough then they are old enough.

He’s seemingly got Smudgers seal of approval from his interview below. See he’s been training with them since the playoffs so just coming up against people such as him every day he’ll only get better doing that. At some point in the future we’ll no doubt be looking to loan him out so hopefully we find the right setup to develop him and not park him off to Newcastle Town or someone as we’ve been a bit guilty of before.

Flitcroft said in his Sentinel interview that while the academy was being revamped that "in the meantime, we are going to build six to eight younger pros underneath that to help serve the first team." (i.e. a kind of B team set-up).

I wonder if Sammy Robinson, Tommy McDermot, James Plant and perhaps Derek Agyakwa* if he signs could be some of those "younger pros". 

* certainly seems likely as the club have started referring to him by name rather than as a trialist

I would imagine the club has a plan for them all if they are in that category. You can still play in the FLT games if loaned out so I can't imagine it would do any harm to loan some of them out but play them in Vale's FLT campaign as well.

I know there's the separate issue of adding senior players to the squad, but I do like the idea of having a longer-term plan as well. Having a few chancers/projects you can work on and develop with some of them hopefully making the grade. 

15 minutes ago, Guppys left peg said:

He’s seemingly got Smudgers seal of approval from his interview below. See he’s been training with them since the playoffs so just coming up against people such as him every day he’ll only get better doing that. At some point in the future we’ll no doubt be looking to loan him out so hopefully we find the right setup to develop him and not park him off to Newcastle Town or someone as we’ve been a bit guilty of before.

Excellent point. There's a loan and there's a loan. Smith himself perfect example. Starred for Torquay ,player of the season?. Came back to Vale a man. 

No disrespect but Kidsgrove or Newcastle Town won't cut it . Need better level but not many would gamble on a 17 year old ?

2 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

May as well close the forum then, just have a news feed.

Not at all. Simply pointing out that the world hasn't ended because we didn't sign Christy Pym! Loads of time to make signings yet.

4 hours ago, Guppys left peg said:

Wouldn’t have thought Quigley is a L1 standard player to be honest. Not just judging him off the time he was with us as doubt anyone could have succeeded but he’s a very limited player.

Only one game, but I thought he looked very good when they beat Bolton in the cup.

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

Not so sure personally. Was only last season DC was saying none of the young lads are close to being in and around the squad and that was league 2. I think it’s a case of not having many options up there at the minute. Maybe EFL mins as you say

56 minutes ago, Guppys left peg said:

Bloomin' eck Smudge, "It's hot".   Back in the day used to play the Hotel Waiters at 2 00pm under the sun after being on the pop in Magalluf the night before. Used to get thrashed though.😀

Flitcroft said in his Sentinel interview that while the academy was being revamped that "in the meantime, we are going to build six to eight younger pros underneath that to help serve the first team." (i.e. a kind of B team set-up).
I wonder if Sammy Robinson, Tommy McDermot, James Plant and perhaps Derek Agyakwa* if he signs could be some of those "younger pros". 
* certainly seems likely as the club have started referring to him by name rather than as a trialist
I would imagine the club has a plan for them all if they are in that category. You can still play in the FLT games if loaned out so I can't imagine it would do any harm to loan some of them out but play them in Vale's FLT campaign as well.
I know there's the separate issue of adding senior players to the squad, but I do like the idea of having a longer-term plan as well. Having a few chancers/projects you can work on and develop with some of them hopefully making the grade. 
Sounds like a decent plan to me Rob..

Archived