onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

16 minutes ago, BossThatGarrityLaaa said:

They are currently doing the bleep test, far side of pitch so can’t see if any new faces as yet.

Only 13 players involved in the training.

New training gear is an Olive Green colour.

image.jpg

The second player from the left looks bald but pretty sure it's Hussey. That's our new player Ojo third player in from the left I think and Cass maybe second from the right.

Advert

1 hour ago, robf said:

"Rough diamond" Jordan Hugill, signed from a pub team, went on to play in the PL. 

I don't think it's a wise policy to rely on rough diamonds certainly but I don't think you have a blanket view like that. 

There have been plenty of non-league players who have reached the heights - look at Peterborough's recruitment for instance:

There may be the odd one worth a look at - who may or may not work out. As long as you are not relying on those rough diamonds making the grade and also have a core of experienced players to rely on, I think you can afford to make the odd gamble. 

Always remember Chasetown. 

8 minutes ago, Warren said:

Always remember Chasetown. 

I do - it was fourteen years ago under a different manager and owners. 

I mean if you want to go back into the past and different times - Andy Jones, Ian Taylor, Stewart Talbot, Gareth Griffiths... but I would say they are not relevant now either as that was also a long time ago.

If you want to pick a more recent example - our current player of the year was playing for Warrington Town two years ago until Blackpool took a punt. Not every one will work out but there are still examples (such as Garrity) of ones that do.

4 hours ago, gavcradd said:

60 points is a solidly mid-table finish, not just staying up 😐

It would have got us to 12th last year and then there is a gap to bridge above that which would require competing with the big clubs effectively. But we have to keep an eye on the trap down of 4 down rather than 3 and more contingency is needed to stay away comfortably from that. 40-50 points is playing with danger and also if it transpires there are say 2 teams cut adrift who are gifting points to others in the division then 3rd and 4th bottom get closer to mid table. 

29 minutes ago, BossThatGarrityLaaa said:

They are currently doing the bleep test, far side of pitch so can’t see if any new faces as yet.

Only 13 players involved in the training.

New training gear is an Olive Green colour.

I know the players do a lot of media so have to mind their language but didn’t realise they had to do a bleep test in training to help with those commitments.  Just shows how far the club has come with it’s coaching, it’s no longer just repeatedly running too and fro.

7 minutes ago, robf said:

I mean if you want to go back into the past and different times - Andy Jones, Ian Taylor, Stewart Talbot, Gareth Griffiths... but I would say they are not relevant now either as that was also a long time ago. 

It's all about the quality of scouting and sports analysis. I agree it can be done and we've done it with non league players etc. In the case of Chasetown the then management thought they had a couple of good players. And what really happened is the two in question had the game of their life against PV in the cup. A bit like Tom Pope had a great game against Man City but he was never near being a consistent Premier League player and within a couple of years his professional career was over.  

2 minutes ago, Trumpingtonvale said:

I know the players do a lot of media so have to mind their language but didn’t realise they had to do a bleep test in training to help with those commitments.  Just shows how far the club has come with it’s coaching, it’s no longer just repeatedly running too and fro.

This bleep test can kill you if you ain't super fit.

9 minutes ago, Warren said:

It's all about the quality of scouting and sports analysis. I agree it can be done and we've done it with non league players etc. In the case of Chasetown the then management thought they had a couple of good players. And what really happened is the two in question had the game of their life against PV in the cup. A bit like Tom Pope had a great game against Man City but he was never near being a consistent Premier League player and within a couple of years his professional career was over.  

Wasn’t one of those players (Chasetown) Kyle Perry, who we signed on the back of that game?

4 minutes ago, Trumpingtonvale said:

Wasn’t one of those players (Chasetown) Kyle Perry, who we signed on the back of that game?

You’ve blown the kit reveal and now you’ve posted the name Kyle effing Perry on the forum.  Very poor form.

1 minute ago, Guitar Ray said:

You’ve blown the kit reveal and now you’ve posted the name Kyle effing Perry on the forum.  Very poor form.

In previous years I did put <ovf censored> scripts around certain player names in order to lower stress levels for forum users. Exodus, Neal McKenzie to name but two...

Perhaps I ought to do it again... :whistling:

50 minutes ago, robf said:

If you want to pick a more recent example - our current player of the year was playing for Warrington Town two years ago until Blackpool took a punt. Not every one will work out but there are still examples (such as Garrity) of ones that do.

Connor Hall was still playing non league at Brackley in 2018

I guess the polarized views on risky non league rough diamond signing vs league 1 solid "plodder" signing answers the question really... there are no hard and fast rules on signings.

I m sure that having a robust process prior to making the signing is the most critical thing and this management team have shown that they are more than competent in designing and operating in line with that process. Heres another example ...

Chris Slater - Rough diamond from Chasetown : Awful

Bob Delgarno .. experienced pro from Chester (I think) : Awful 

UTV

47 minutes ago, robf said:

In previous years I did put <ovf censored> scripts around certain player names in order to lower stress levels for forum users. Exodus, Neal McKenzie to name but two...

Perhaps I ought to do it again... :whistling:

I feel compelled to ask why on earth you couldn’t have <ovf censored> those 2 names out Rob.  Very poor form.

That was the best thing about that Portuguese man’s era, everybody’s name was <ovf censored>.  We lived as one, without fear of making a clumsy faux pas.

1 hour ago, Trumpingtonvale said:

I am going to say something positive about Perry. He was a target man type player but was never played there. He kept getting fitted in on the left wing. He did journey around at League 2 and 5/6/7 tier non league for several years post Port Vale and can claim to have made a reasonable career with limited talent. 

However, Chris Slater was unforgiveable. 

Archived