onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

I think the short period to the start of the season combined with the absence of friendly games and only one of those being against an EFL league team is really tough and then the early set of games are tough. We absolutely must have a fully functioning strong League 1 team on the pitch for the Fleetwood and Exeter games as they are ones we need to win to stay out of relegation trouble. For me Ojo has come to play and anchor midfield and of current crop Garrity plays as well because of his goals. So the other place / places in midfield depend on whether the manager wants to attack or defend. I would suggest attack against Fleetwood and Exeter. More cautious against Rotherham and Bolton. 
I imagine that training games are likely to get very competitive because they probably do anyway but also because time is short and they're few external tests. Our game against Kidsgrove which is the equivalent of Carlisle's against Penrith is a week behind and only a working week after return to training. Any players who are not 100% fit and ready to go are going to find it difficult to get into the match day squad. I can't see Conlon being ready to play in a strong League 1 team, if that is what we have until Christmas. 
I am not a subscriber of the transfer window being to 1 September. By then we will have played 7 games and at worst out a cup and bottom of the league. We should get a strong team on the pitch and try to win both Fleetwood and Exeter, get through against Rotherham and have decent points from games against Bolton, MK Dons, Burton and Portsmouth. We need circa 60 points to stay out of trouble and finish top of the bottom third. So wins v Fleetwood and Exeter are 10% of that and we need to be up and at it on day 1. That means we should get our new players in and on the pitch by the end of July. 

I can’t imagine we will only play 2 friendlies, I would anticipate one in Spain and one just after, probably just be behind closed doors.

Advert

4 hours ago, andy jones said:

Let's not go chasing unearthed diamonds this next season. 

Hopefully we will sign proven league 1 experience.

A nice simple season of consolidation will do me fine.

Agreed. Every non league “rough diamond” we signed in league 2 was not good enough, let alone for league 1. 

12 hours ago, Warren said:

He's looks a good signing at League 1 level having won in League 2 and got in teams in League 1. But didn't make it at Derby at Championship level. Morecambe have to do some business because their team survived by a narrow margin and they'll be in trouble if they don't. I like Morecambe as a place and club, but they need to be getting money beyond ticket sales to change their fortune. If so, and within financial fair play, then they are possibly capable of forcing the sale of a valued player like Taylor and offer him the wages to go with it? But surely size of club talks in the end. I mean if Sheffield Wednesday come in for one of our players then that's a step up for the player, a fee for the club, and unlike Morecambe I wouldn't say we are self harming from a sporting perspective because we are not ready to compete with Sheffield Wednesday but we must beat Morecambe. Beating Morecambe home and away would give us 10% of the points we need to be sure of staying up. 

Amazing how people see things differently which is why we love the game.

My opinion is he's a carthorse. Was disappointed he wasn't in the Mansfield team at Wembley as he is a huge weak link. Obviously was irrelevant as we stuffed them anyway. He'll be cheap and cheerful which is why Morecambe have taken him. 

27 minutes ago, SFBT said:

Looking forward to reports from the local training watchers, as the players return.

Who's new? 😊

I suspect there’ll be a few that haven’t been announced yet. Maybe they have a plan with the away kit release or something. You would think someone as relentlessly thorough and meticulous as DC will want his squad together from day one, particularly before they go away to Spain. That trip will be training and fitness but there’ll be a massively important team bonding element to it. The players in interviews couldn’t speak highly enough of the atmosphere and team unity last season so I’m hopeful we’ll see more of a complete squad revealed by the end of the week before they go. 

10 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

Agreed. Every non league “rough diamond” we signed in league 2 was not good enough, let alone for league 1. 

"Rough diamond" Jordan Hugill, signed from a pub team, went on to play in the PL. 

I don't think it's a wise policy to rely on rough diamonds certainly but I don't think you have a blanket view like that. 

There have been plenty of non-league players who have reached the heights - look at Peterborough's recruitment for instance:

There may be the odd one worth a look at - who may or may not work out. As long as you are not relying on those rough diamonds making the grade and also have a core of experienced players to rely on, I think you can afford to make the odd gamble. 

5 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

Didn’t work so well for Peterborough last season.

That's a bit picky. It has taken them to the Championship and generated millions in revenue.

Arguably their relegation last season is more due to the disparity down to the huge parachute payments clubs can spend rather than the policy failing. 

Having said all that, I'm not advocating an "all or nothing" invest in non-league talent approach - just to not drop it entirely as there may still be the odd gem out there. I was simply referring to Peterborough as a club who has managed to find such players. 

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Amazing how people see things differently which is why we love the game.

My opinion is he's a carthorse. Was disappointed he wasn't in the Mansfield team at Wembley as he is a huge weak link. Obviously was irrelevant as we stuffed them anyway. He'll be cheap and cheerful which is why Morecambe have taken him. 

He might have been a better behaved centre half than the one that played and got sent off with two really stupid pointless offences! But I guess two poor players just stay poor and increase the crapness of your squad overall!  

Archived