onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

1 hour ago, Warren said:

In midfield in particular I think we need a greater balance of players who have been at League 1 level and performed well to mix with the players who have the potential to be able to play at League 1 level. That is why I think Fonso Ojo is a really good signing. Up front we need to edge up the goals scored per season by Proctor and Wilson - maybe simply by staying fit. Garrity is a major goal scorer behind them and I think we need some talented young players on loan to come in as backup. Or maybe a top level striker at the end of their career who can appear from the bench for 20 mins in tight games. Lee Hughes type. I'm not sure we need to replace Gibbo because Worrall and Cass can play wing back. Frankly I think Cass is a step up from Gibbo already. Gibbo couldn't do what Worrall does because he didn't have the dribbling skills.

Definitely agree that we need more league one experience, for me that’s in key areas like up front, midfield and in goal. Don’t agree with Cass being a step up on Gibbo at all, at best he’s a makeshift right back and he’s certainly no wing back long term. RCB is his best position I think. 

Advert

25 minutes ago, SFBT said:

With those formations, he's a shoo in.

But we mostly played 3-5-2, and there was so much debate about this sacrificing one of our best assets.

I don't see that changing.

Do you?

I can’t see us going into a season in league 1 with Worrall as starting RWB personally. Cass will play RCB and I think we will sign a starting RWB 

1 hour ago, BossThatGarrityLaaa said:

Maybe not realistic (either due to out of our range, availability or recently moved) but these would have been my choices for these roles you’ve suggested: 

1. GK - Vlaclav Hladky - Ipswich. Looked the real deal for Salford, hasn’t really featured for Ipswich since the move.

2. CB - Would have been Che Dunkley but has moved to Shrews this week.

3. RWB - Would have been Kane Wilson, but had many suitors and don’t see us rivalling the wages of a Bristol City in the Championship.

4. AM - Azeez - Villa (loan). Looked absolute mustard for Newport last season. Maybe Villa fancy sending him for a stint in a higher league this season. 

5. FW - Tyler Walker - Coventry. Had a poor last season on loan at Pompey, but he’s pacey and showed when with us previous he has an eye for goal. Has been told he’s got a clean slate at Cov but I can’t see him making the squad so could be an option later on in the window.

I mentioned Hladky to some friends as someone I'd like - however he's been linked with Aberdeen this summer but wouldn't pay Ipswich's £100k asking price. Would probably rule us out too.

I like your other shouts!

10 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

I mentioned Hladky to some friends as someone I'd like - however he's been linked with Aberdeen this summer but wouldn't pay Ipswich's £100k asking price. Would probably rule us out too.

I like your other shouts!

£100k seems steep for us to fork out for a GK, probably a reflection of the fact his contract runs until 2024. 

I daren’t suggest a loan, we all know our form with loaning keepers from Ipswich 🙄

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

I can’t see us going into a season in league 1 with Worrall as starting RWB personally. Cass will play RCB and I think we will sign a starting RWB 

Wozza has become the type of player who is always there, always does a job.

So it's hard to imagine him not being first choice in any system.

Looking forward to seeing who we bring in to challenge him for rwb.

Sorry for taking the thread off subject slightly but all this talk of whether x,y or z can do a job in League 1, I thought I'd link a pretty informative article on the different playing styles you can expect in each football league in comparison to each other.

38 minutes ago, SFBT said:

Wozza has become the type of player who is always there, always does a job.

So it's hard to imagine him not being first choice in any system.

Looking forward to seeing who we bring in to challenge him for rwb.

The way he played at Wembley is how he should be playing on our big pitch - not too different from Wembley's!

6 minutes ago, BossThatGarrityLaaa said:

Unofficial Vale rumour linking us to Jamal Blackman - GK from Chelsea 

I think he was released by Huddersfield after a short-term deal there.

He's in the Tomas Holy height category - six foot six or seven....

Incidentally, how many moves have UV picked up this summer? I can't remember them hinting at either the Cass or Ojo signing? 

Is the club tightening up on this sort of thing perhaps?

No offence to UV who seem to be passionate Vale fans and are clearly very popular, but if it benefits the club to keep their dealings more confidential then so be it.

If keeping it secret prevents any deals falling through then that's got to be a good thing.

3 minutes ago, robf said:

Incidentally, how many moves have UV picked up this summer? I can't remember them hinting at either the Cass or Ojo signing? 

No offence to UV who seem to be passionate Vale fans and are clearly very popular, but if it benefits the club to keep their dealings more confidential then so be it.

If keeping it secret prevents any deals falling through then that's got to be a good thing.

They did hint at Ojo on the day of the signing.

2 minutes ago, robf said:

He did get the Funso Ojo one tbf.

I like a rumour, it's fun, whether they happen or not, it alleviates some of the close season boredom!

Splitting hairs a bit here - but hinting on the day of the signing is not going to be as damaging because presumably the player is spotted doing the photo shoots and so on. As the deal has already been signed and the player is literally in the building, there's no real damage in it being hinted at a few hours early as that's hardly going to effect the deal and alert other clubs.

I do think there's less of the rumours of deals posted days beforehand though. I remember in recent seasons we had hints literally days or even weeks in advance.

This is not me being a killjoy (after all I am posting on a rumours thread) but I just wondered if with the more professional recruitment process going on , whether the club had also tightened up on confidentiality etc. 

I do like looking at the UV tweets from time to time. I think as long as you take them for what they are - rumours - then it's all a bit of fun, keeps the interest going during the summer and the picture clues keep everyone entertained too.

Archived