onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

Advert

1 hour ago, Osh said:

Morning all.  As I said on one of the Vale FB pages, the sun comes and the sun goes down - players come and go.  

I would love to have seen Gibbo stay, but he's gone to Rovers.  By the way, I too think Barton is vile, but the Gasheads think he's DC2 - think i'd hate to work under him.

When Gibbo comes back I, for one, will not be booing him.  That's not right in my book.  We made him an offer, it wasn't the offer he wanted and now he's gone.  There's no malice in this, its just life.

Can't wait to see what other signings we make and, in just over an hour, we get to see the fixture list and get excited.

I'm 60 years old and this is absolutely the best I've known it ever at Vale, even better than the Rudge years.  What Carol/Kevin and their team have done makes me ache with pride; to think - just a few short years ago, we were being run by the Fat Controller and nearly taken out of the existence/the football league.

Onwards and Upwards; for me I believe we'll finish in the upper half of the league next season.  We have a great core and just a few players to add to it - 3 or 4 tops.  When Conlon and Walker come back we'll be even stronger.  Last year no one enjoyed coming to Vale Park - we play nice football - we scared teams last season and we'll do it again next season.

Good luck Gibbo - thanks for all the memories.

Next...

UTV, KTF and TTP

Spot on

10 hours ago, andy jones said:

The players leaving are league 2 players. To stay in league 1 we need league 1 players. 

I have been down the club today to look over the hospitality options now open to fans 

At long last we have quality hospitality opportunities.

President seating being ripped out and quality going in. To sit there next season you have a 3 course meal included.

The RW suite is Championship quality and that includes a buffet meal.

The club revenue from hospitality is going to rocket!

Are Vale announcing these this week? I've held on renewing my 2 Lorne Street tickets to see what hospitality offers come out.

3 hours ago, ollyandpatch said:

As we all are gutted he has left. Just checked his final stats.

He made 111 appearances for us in 6 years.

Another of the 'not a DC signing' to leave. 

Final shout out to Nathsn Smith..304 appearances and still going...Top lad.

Not all gutted.... I ve said in the past that he's too injury prone for me and for what its worth Cass is a better defender with a bit more height... I wish Gibbo all the best and he'll get a great round of applause from me when he returns to VP.

Its the right move all round he needs to test himself outside of his comfort zone to improve and it obviously suits Vale to replace him with Cass rather than offering him big money to stay.

We need to save our pennies for the other end of the pitch in my opinion... max I can see from Wilson is 10 goals this season and if everything is right with Proctor maybe 10 from him. At the moment we are a bit away from the required standard to avoid a relegation battle but we have the right people in charge to correct that  even if it will take them the rest of the transfer window (including the loan window) and the transfer window in January to do so.

I just worry about people expectations, League 1 is different to the Harrogate's and Barrows of this world. Even the so called smaller clubs who have been in the league for while have had League 1 income compared to our years in the wilderness and to close that gap immediately is difficult.

3 hours ago, ollyandpatch said:

As we all are gutted he has left. Just checked his final stats.

He made 111 appearances for us in 6 years.

Another of the 'not a DC signing' to leave. 

Final shout out to Nathsn Smith..304 appearances and still going...Top lad.

Smith is another conundrum...

Option 1 do we let him run down his contract and leave for nothing as we did with Gibbo or

Option 2  we cash in now.

I ll make the assumption that as with most players he will run down his contract to give himself more options at the end of this year thereby nullifying option 3 :that he signs a new contract..

I've an instinct that we will cash in either now or to a lesser degree in January. We cant keep letting decent lower league players leave on free transfers. I ve also an instinct that we will have replacements lined up. 

TBH, I’m gutted as the Worrall and Gibbo partnership offered us so much down the right hand side. Money talks and the lads got to make as much money as possible in a short space of time. The days of retiring and running a pub or a newsagents are long gone. Good luck James but like others have said there’ll always be a warm welcome from me and the majority at VP, but Bristol Rovers.? Perhaps we thought you were better than that.

The players leaving are league 2 players. To stay in league 1 we need league 1 players. 
I have been down the club today to look over the hospitality options now open to fans 
At long last we have quality hospitality opportunities.
President seating being ripped out and quality going in. To sit there next season you have a 3 course meal included.
The RW suite is Championship quality and that includes a buffet meal.
The club revenue from hospitality is going to rocket!

Sounds spiffing old boy... Glass of Pimms at half time? Meanwhile real fans have to queue 15 minutes in the piššing down rain only to find out the pies have ran out yet again... and use toilets which were last fit for purpose in the 1950's.

Personally I don’t buy the “money talks” line on the Gibbo decision.

If he is as amazing as we all think and his injuries have in fact cleared up then he would be off to the championship.

There were multiple rumours of him going to the championship in Jan last year and then he broke down at Leyton Orient.

I don’t think this is a case of us offering him a big deal and Bristol blowing it out of the water.

This is a story of us offering him something based on our view of his injuries (27 starts in 2 seasons) and Rovers willing to take a gamble.

I actually feel a bit sorry for Gibbo and wish him well… from Championship prospect I feel that Bristol are the only club that have been willing to take the risk. Let’s face it, the big boys in our league could blow them out of the water with a bid but they haven’t.

He is having to either drive 2 and a half hours each way to train or move away from the local area where he and his Mrs are super connected and tied in… he’s engaged to Conlons twin(?) sister.

Is she going to move to Bristol with him to reduce the commute? Who knows. If not he’s going to move down there on his own or face the commute.

This situation reads more to me like Gibbo is lucky that a team in league 1 were willing to offer him something that’s not dependent on appearances and that’s the best offer he could get.

We know Barton is willing to take those gambles… Their other signing (Rossiter) is described by Fleetwood fans as 2 things … 1) too good for league one and 2) made of glass 

He managed only 10 games last year.

I love Gibbo… I genuinely wish him well and hope his injuries are behind him.

Have Bristol mugged us off by blasting our bid out of the water. No. Are they willing to take a risk that we weren’t. Yes.

Archived