onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

1 minute ago, Doha said:

On the subject of Carol. Fair amount of moaning on the facebook groups about budgets.

She put in a fortune to underwrite the Covid losses.

The budget is based on income. Much of that income is based on ticket sales.

Any grumbles of discontent about money not being spent should be referred to our, in my opinion, disappointing ST sales so far. 3500 in the 3rd week of June after promotion isn't what I expected in all honesty. That's just my opinion.

Don’t under estimate mate how absolutely skint people are at the moment. It’s going to get worse as we head into the winter. We will get similar to last season with much bigger away followings. The budget should be fine to match the likes of Morecambe, Stanley and Burton etc. 

Advert

7 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Of those 34 league games only 27 were actual starts.

I'd rather have a 9/10 player for 2/3 of the season than a 7/10 for the entirety. That may be silly or illogical but that's the nature of football. Some of his perfomrances will live long in the memory... and now he's gone. *breaks down sobbing*

I'd rather have a 9/10 player for 2/3 of the season than a 7/10 for the entirety. That may be silly or illogical but that's the nature of football. Some of his perfomrances will live long in the memory... and now he's gone. *breaks down sobbing*

I would as well, sadly Gibbo hasn’t been involved in two thirds

2 minutes ago, Jgpvfc said:

Don’t under estimate mate how absolutely skint people are at the moment. It’s going to get worse as we head into the winter. We will get similar to last season with much bigger away followings. The budget should be fine to match the likes of Morecambe, Stanley and Burton etc. 

I probably ended up spending more on the Wembley weekend than a season ticket, as did thousands of others. Where have they gone? 

1 minute ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

The 27 starts was over 2 seasons Mr H. 

If Gibbo was playing week in week out he would have been offered a bumper contract, 3 years, add ons, the works. But that player doesn’t exist and his injury problems would have persisted here, and will be a big factor there I’m sure.

The current regime will not want to spend a fortune to keep a player who cannot be relied upon to play week in week out, and that was the choice.

I’m not heartbroken or worried, but we will need some concrete first team signings that improve the squad to prove to me and others that this squad can make it in league 1. Anyone saying the quality is not that big of a step up I would strongly disagree with, it is a big step up and we need the players to match that challenge. 

I would not be surprised if we have literally signed a replacement already and are just waiting to announce.

8 minutes ago, Doha said:

On the subject of Carol. Fair amount of moaning on the facebook groups about budgets.

Any grumbles of discontent about money not being spent should be referred to our, in my opinion, disappointing ST sales so far. 3500 in the 3rd week of June after promotion isn't what I expected in all honesty. That's just my opinion.

Why does it always have to come back to being the fans fault. 

10 minutes ago, Doha said:

And also even if the money is available, it doesn’t mean DC has to throw it at Gibbo. He might think he can get a 50 game Gibbo for the same price so why spend it for 20 games maximum a season?

14 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Of those 34 league games only 27 were actual starts.

Yet we should give him a contract 2yrs long not appearance based and the same as others at the club...wow

He might be over his injuries and for his sake i hope he is BUT some need to think that IF his hamstring/s go again(which is highly possible now with how he plays and them going a couple of times) then that could be sadly it or he could play very few games on a very good wage

Good luck to Gibbo, owes us nowt and anyone thinking otherwise is deluded.  Losing a fans favourite and local lad is always going to smart but the time to pass judgement is once the squad is complete.  Non of us know the situation with Gibbo’s injury history but the way these things are scrutinised nowadays both clubs will have more than just a vague notion.  The bottom line, as with any career, is the offer that’s on the table.

One thing I would add is that in League 1 we’re just one of the small fry financially.  That’s not to say we can’t have success, but we’re going to be lower down the pecking order when it comes to wages and signing players.

We wont pay stupid money for any player but just to clarify money has never been a problem since the Shanahans took charge and it wont be whilst they are still in charge.... oh and it wont be to whoever they eventually hand over the reigns to as well 😉 

Archived