onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

7 minutes ago, SFBT said:

I become very selective in my visits to OVF.

I love constructive, open, non judgemental conversations, where people are curious and wanting to learn.

Once the naysayers get a grip, with their critical closed minds, I disappear.

Not worth the effort.

You must go years between forum posting on here then 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Advert

1 hour ago, bycars rob said:

These days there are a lot of supporters who have not played much sport and little if any proper football. Years ago there were many leagues on Saturday and Sunday which gave people an insight into what players go through and more empathy.

Thats a good point ... championship manager and televised highest level Premiership / European games have made people forget the extra challenges lower leagues teams face  where smaller squads and less quality often means them taking a risk on unfit player or players out of position.

I also think the internet has helped polarise opinions and once a person has put something out there they feel duty bound to defend it and "prove"  their initial statement (criticism) as correct

3 hours ago, MBE said:

I don't want the James Wilson from Northampton away opening day of the season.

If he's going to play like Wembley James Wilson will be OK though.

Whichever James Wilson we get his miss at Cobblers from a yard or two out wasn’t the only one.  Someone will now defend James and say, “Yes, but he was our top scorer”, or, “At least he keeps getting into those positions”.  Both statements are true of course.

41 minutes ago, Bob Newtonian said:

Thats a good point ... championship manager and televised highest level Premiership / European games have made people forget the extra challenges lower leagues teams face  where smaller squads and less quality often means them taking a risk on unfit player or players out of position.

I also think the internet has helped polarise opinions and once a person has put something out there they feel duty bound to defend it and "prove"  their initial statement (criticism) as correct

I had a couple of people start sitting behind me for the games at the back end of the season and they seemed to think that they were having an intellectual football conversation, explaining why Jamie Proctor was a complete waste of space and Crosby was an 'idiot' for picking him. Apparently Proctor cant control it, puts no effort in and continually gives the ball away. They couldn't understand why we had signed a journeyman with no goal scoring record. 

Having watched him quite a bit, I would tend to disagree with all of those sentiments and think that perhaps he was just jaded / injured and playing through the pain, having had a brilliant season for us.

Against Swindon, in extra time, someone near me shouted 'Chase it Wilson you lazy ****' when he is our most technically gifted forward, was playing half dead (clearly nursing a hip issue) and giving his everything for the cause.

You cant please all of the people all of the time unfortunately. Some people love a good moan.....

29 minutes ago, SFBT said:

I become very selective in my visits to OVF.

I love constructive, open, non judgemental conversations, where people are curious and wanting to learn.

Once the naysayers get a grip, with their critical closed minds, I disappear.

Not worth the effort.

Sadly you won’t read this reply then, you’ll already have drifted on, back to your…er….happy place.

5 hours ago, robf said:

@darren1810 I thoroughly agree with you on the management of players. I'm not sure if it only happens at Vale but I do find it odd that some fans expect everyone to go from zero to a hundred when they enter the pitch.

• We sign a loan player and he gets two days training with the squad - then there's complaints he isn't picked - it's because he won't be used to his colleagues to their runs etc. 
  • A player comes back from injury (such as Wilson against Brentford) struggles a bit and he's labelled "lazy" rather than it being him adjusting to the pace
  • A player is playing through the pain (and probably horrible injections and all sorts) such as Worrall and Proctor and they are labelled as being "rubbish" during that time

Football is a squad game and next season that means a possibility of 16 players playing a part. Team management will be crucial, let’s have 11 players on the pitch giving 110% for 90 minutes. Taking a leaf from Eddie Jones, we may have 11 starters and five finishers. So important that we have quality cover in every position.

14 minutes ago, efsb said:

Vital Football reckons Freddy Woodman might be on his way to us on loan -

NEWCASTLE.VITALFOOTBALL.CO.UK

Will say this it’s very definitive about him coming to us on loan. Be a great move if it happens and who knows maybe Newcastle will have been impressed by how we looked after Lewis Cass and he’s given us a good reference.

1 hour ago, jeffers said:

Football is a squad game and next season that means a possibility of 16 players playing a part. Team management will be crucial, let’s have 11 players on the pitch giving 110% for 90 minutes. Taking a leaf from Eddie Jones, we may have 11 starters and five finishers. So important that we have quality cover in every position.

I agree that we need quality in depth and it would appear that DC tends to opt for quality over quantity, which is fine when we have a fully fit squad. What I wouldn’t like to see is, should we have a bad run of injuries and we are the wrong end of the table, it’s a lot more difficult to sustain than if you have the cushion of a few points in the bag. I certainly think we need another quality midfielder along with a couple of strikers, now I don’t mind if one of the In coming strikers is a young loan prospect, providing the other has some experience. I’m not too worried about the defence but maybe another centre back would ensure competition for places. I’m really not sure what to think when it comes to our goalkeepers.

Archived