onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

12 hours ago, Hoppers said:

The cheeky buggers

Jake Taylor is exactly the kind of player we want in our midfield - as shown in the Final with him having more confidence and better fitness - why would we want to give a rival club a boost like that? Silly if it happens - unless the fee is too good to refuse?

Advert

8 hours ago, tisdeano said:

I’m talking about getting a fee for a squad player and using the fee to bring in someone better

I don't think we'd get better than Jake Taylor unless we paid a lot more money? I've read on here we need to get someone in creative and good enough to challenge Captain Tom...but that's Taylor! There may be games against "lesser" opposition where we need to play JT and TC to give us more chance of 3 points?

59 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

He was fit all season, did all of preseason and he had a good run of games from day one, but it just didn’t work for him for whatever reason, but I wouldn’t put it down to a lack of fitness as to why things didn’t click.  He certainly had a great last couple of games, no doubt about it and as a result of his end to the season he’s earned himself the chance at a new deal, so fair play to him. But there’s no way he’s had a good season and prior to April I doubt anyone would have expected him to be staying with us or even wanted  him to stay such were his performances before that. 

If he was fit why did he go on a better fitness regime?

JT isn’t a holding midfielder, that’s why he scored so many goals when on loan. The lads creative and moves the ball well and has suffered cruelly with injuries. The season when he was on loan TC couldn’t even get in the starting eleven. Forest must rate him as they put clauses in the purchase of him. 

Agreed but it’s not as easy as you make out… we gave Harrogate Legge + 50 k for Hall… not sure how that is improving for less money. Ultimately in any league with only a very few exceptions money is required to be at the top end .
I'm fairly sure Legge was sold for £20k in a separate deal, recouping 2/5 of Hall's transfer fee, but your point is still fair.

More broadly though, I think the ability to spend more on players is a *potential* advantage, but there are way more than "very few exceptions" (especially outside the PL) showing that those with comparatively small budgets can compete with far wealthier clubs. Spending a lot is not as good as spending wisely what you can viably spend.

I was expecting Taylor to feature next season. Two reasons, firstly Conlon and Walker both returning from injuries with the uncertainty that brings and secondly the increase in subs allowed meaning increased option to rotate squad.Taylor definitely went backwards when he went to Scunny and when he came back was a shadow of the player he was. Injury and lack of game time/ confidence meant it was the back end of the season before we started to see glimpses of the Old Taylor. I suppose ultimately it depends on how happy the player is at the Vale but if he stays he could start the season off in the first 11.

I don't think we'd get better than Jake Taylor unless we paid a lot more money? I've read on here we need to get someone in creative and good enough to challenge Captain Tom...but that's Taylor! There may be games against "lesser" opposition where we need to play JT and TC to give us more chance of 3 points?

I trust DC, he calls the shots and makes the decisions

Let me repeat I like JT , I was pleased when he was fit for the run in

I like DC more

It would only tell us that we're doing the right thing in telling a player someone is interested in him, and allowing him to see what they offer!

I can assure you if Morecombe came in for let’s say Garrity he wouldn’t be talking to them

If the money is right for Taylor, I'd cash in. He's good but very hot and cold. In his permanent time with vale he's had more bad games that good. That being said if we keep him I foresee him starting the season/being genuine competition for Conlon when he's fit.

I like him, and if Wembley Jake turns up next year we are in for a good season. If brizzle Jake turns up more often than not, we will soon be regretting not taking the Morecambe money.

10 hours ago, LancyTony said:

If he was fit why did he go on a better fitness regime?

Hes gone to a trainer to tone himself up to get a bit more definition to his body. There’s a big difference between going on a programme to tone up and a programme to get fitter stamina wise for playing football. A lot of the players do extra gym stuff, it’s nothing unique to one player. I used to see some of them when I was a member at M club on festival park. 

I rate Taylor. He showed in his original loan spell (and more recently at Wembley and v Hartlepoool) that he's got quality on the ball. I'd like to keep him and see how he does in League One next season. 

However, I've only seen him 1% of the time that Darrell has worked with him, and if he thinks that the club would be better off by letting him go elsewhere, either for the money, to free up space for someone better or just because Jake is unhappy, then I trust the process.

35 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

If the money is right for Taylor, I'd cash in. 

The article I read said Morecambe were confident of getting him on the cheap. And a massive chunk of any of that would go to Forest as a sell-on clause payment. If he goes, I very much doubt it'll be because the money is too good to turn down. Not at all like if  someone came in and offered £2 million for Wilson or Gibbo for example (where I wouldn't want him to go but you'd snap their hand off)

Archived