onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

34 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

He’s a very good player who had a big impact in quite a few games considering he’s not been close to fit. He was the only reason we won at Hartlepool and was outstanding against Swindon and Mansfield. Some of his passing at Wembley was excellent. The only issue i have with him is his injury record. He’s been out for a long time, took time to get going and towards end of the season was excellent. We will clearly have someone lined up who they team obviously think is an upgrade, and I trust them 100%. Just think it’s a shame if we let him go over Charsley. For me, he’s a great back up to Conlon, so if Taylor leaves, I’d expect us to be signing someone as good as / better than Conlon to play whilst he’s injured 

Charsley will need to improve on the ball to get into a League 1 side in say mid table. He may be able to, worth a shot.

Advert

Why are people making out like L1 is the Premier league or La Liga? It's a slightly more skilful L2 (which doesn't take much). That's it. If Brunos foreign legion can nearly stay up, this current side can easily compete and do well.

31 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Why are people making out like L1 is the Premier league or La Liga? It's a slightly more skilful L2 (which doesn't take much). That's it. If Brunos foreign legion can nearly stay up, this current side can easily compete and do well.

I think one of the things we’ll see in league one is that players will get more time on the ball than league two. Which in theory should suit the Taylor’s and Conlons of this world. 

The thing is, even if our best players left tomorrow I’d back Clarke and co to find better replacements. Not paralleled, better. I wouldn’t be worried about replacing any player under the current regime. My only concern is there hands will be tied by the number under contract. I imagine that some faces even under contract at the moment will not be here a kick off in L1, or won’t be registered in the squad.

Hurst, Jones, Hussey, Charsley, Taylor, Martin, Covolan

^ at least 3 of those won’t be here.

21 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Call me harsh but I think that Bennings last couple of performances in the final and semi final have put a gloss on what was overall a really disappointing season from him. He’s had nowhere near the same amount of impact individually or on how we played as a team as when Proctor and Gibbo were in the side. Same goes for players like Cass, Hall and Conlon who were so important to how we played and all probably played a similar amount of games and we felt their loss too when they didn’t feature. 

It would seem the first half of the season he wasn't fit? Simple as that. He would probably have been my MOTM in the Final, had another couple of players not been equally worthy, The run to get onto that ball from Wozza for the goal of the game...so late on...shows how much his fitness has improved and, with growing influence in games, so has his confidence. Has to be given the chance to show he can do it in L1...where many thought he would be instead of joining us!  

13 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

It would seem the first half of the season he wasn't fit? Simple as that. He would probably have been my MOTM in the Final, had another couple of players not been equally worthy, The run to get onto that ball from Wozza for the goal of the game...so late on...shows how much his fitness has improved and, with growing influence in games, so has his confidence. Has to be given the chance to show he can do it in L1...where many thought he would be instead of joining us!  

He was fit all season, did all of preseason and he had a good run of games from day one, but it just didn’t work for him for whatever reason, but I wouldn’t put it down to a lack of fitness as to why things didn’t click.  He certainly had a great last couple of games, no doubt about it and as a result of his end to the season he’s earned himself the chance at a new deal, so fair play to him. But there’s no way he’s had a good season and prior to April I doubt anyone would have expected him to be staying with us or even wanted  him to stay such were his performances before that. 

1 hour ago, jeffers said:

You prosper by selling a player and replacing him with a better one for less money. 
i.e. Legge for Hall

Agreed but it’s not as easy as you make out… we gave Harrogate Legge + 50 k for Hall… not sure how that is improving for less money. Ultimately in any league with only a very few exceptions money is required to be at the top end .

With Jake I just can’t imagine that Morecambe would offer us a package that would make it worth our while especially with the sell on clause we have with Forest.  I think it’s going to be deep into next season before Conlon is back to full fitness so this should be his chance to establish himself. What Jake needs more than anything is a full pre-season with no injury disruptions. 

Obviously DF and DC will know better than me though and am sure they’d have plans in place if he were to depart.

Archived