onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

As for Jones, I thought he was great during those first few months. The back 3 of him, Smith and Cass really complemented each other, with Smith being the rock, Cass dribbling it out from the back, making surging runs and some great crosses, and Jones playing those precision long raking cross field balls from deep, not to mention his long throw. Shame he lost his place but Hall took his chance and Jones somehow has to hope he gets another chance and takes it

Advert

Great signing. His injury clearly impacted our side, having to play Smith RCB and having him as the spare man often hampered us going forwards. Still young, will improve, great on the ball. Very strong back 3 now, he does need to work on defending crosses as we conceded quite a few at the back post but still a very good signing. 

Slightly concerned we ain’t going to keep Gibbo, especially after signing Cass on the understanding Cass will have a first team place. For me our best back 3 is Gibbo, Smith & Hall. 
Cass is a great back up for the regularly injured Gibbo but that doesn’t place him as a regular first teamer. 

I'm not sure the Benning upturn in form was just down to initial fitness or complacency issues, I definitely think there's something in the partnership thing.

Just as Smith/Woz as a combination on the right didn't work because their skill-sets and positions are too disparate, creating gaps on that side going forward and back, I wonder if Jones/Benning were a bit too similar? They've both played a good chunk of games in their career as LB in a back 4, and when Jones got the ball, he did tend to drift left, thus cutting down Benning's space if he was then given the ball. Hall tends to run a little straighter if driving out with it, or give it a bit quicker if passing, thus Mal more often takes it on the move and in a bit more space, and can be more effective. 

Don't get me wrong, other factors will have played a part, such as the extra fitness and settling in to a new club and role (at times early on at LWB he looked unsure whether to push up or drop off, making him look hesitant), but I think the partnership with Hall is a big factor.

Still think Jones is a good back-up tho on the left side of defence, if he can get himself fit.

Cass is a better RCB than Gibbo, having played there a lot more often. 

Gibbo is a good wing-back and that position maximises his abilities. His injury record ensures you need depth at any position he plays at. 

I assume Cass will be first choice RCB and Gibbo, if he signs, will start on either flank.

48 minutes ago, tisdeano said:

I see Alan Nixon ( sports journalist ) is saying Morecombe are trying to buy Jake Taylor

He's usually quite accurate isn't he?

I struggle to see why a League 1 team would take a gamble on a player with Taylor's injury record, but I suppose if they see the talent (which was evident in the PO final) and want to take the risk then the move makes sense - he'd be 5th choice here. He'll be pretty cheap due to his scarcity of availability. 

2 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I assume Cass will be first choice RCB and Gibbo, if he signs, will start on either flank.

That's my assumption too. Gibbo as first choice RWB, then any drop-off in form or injury to Sir Mal or Cass, or if we fancy changing it up, Gibbo slots in to their place and we bring Woz on at RWB. 

Great options to have.

Slightly concerned we ain’t going to keep Gibbo, especially after signing Cass on the understanding Cass will have a first team place. For me our best back 3 is Gibbo, Smith & Hall. 
Cass is a great back up for the regularly injured Gibbo but that doesn’t place him as a regular first teamer. 
You may be correct, but the back 3 you mention has only played 2 games together

9 minutes ago, Joe B said:

He's usually quite accurate isn't he?

I struggle to see how a League 1 team would take a gamble on a player with Taylor's injury record, but I suppose if they see the talent (which was evident in the PO final) and want to take the risk then the move makes sense - he'd be 5th choice here. He'll be pretty cheap due to his scarcity of availability. 

Interesting, and understandable views. I'm hoping that we will see a version of JT more like the one who played before the injuries.

I also think Tom Conlon could be difficult to get back up to speed as he won't have a pre season, so we need some midfield options.

18 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

Gibbo can easily play RWB and LWB so that doesn't worry me at all

16 minutes ago, tisdeano said:

He is Joe so suspect there’s truth in it

I would swap him for Stockton 🙂 

Seriously though despite his performances in the last couple of games and us knowing there is a talent there,once Conlon is fit he will drop down the pecking order here again,so take a fee and insert a sell on and it could be win win,lets face it we would be getting something for a player who isn't a first team regular now so it wont affect us massively

Also we might have someone else lined up as well

Personally I’d like us to keep Taylor. Was excellent in his first spell and by the end of the season was starting to get his form back - was fantastic at Wembley. Personally think we should be keeping players with that much talent on the ball. Conlon won’t be ready till what December? Think we will need him unless someone is lined up 

Archived