onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

8 hours ago, robf said:

For me, it's also about having that mix.

This last season we had that - some players from the top National League sides, some experienced L2 players, Proctor and Politic from the division above, promising youngsters like Harratt and Edmondson... A range of ages from the likes of Aaron Martin to teenagers like Harratt.

I think there's a tendency to want young, exciting players everywhere - and to partner Wilson with a youngster. But while young players can be exciting and go on to great things, they can also be inconsistent so that's why you need a balance.

For me, Proctor is that - he's an experienced, canny player who's played in the division. By all means bring in a couple of young tyros upfront too, but I also think Proctor's experience and know-how will be invaluable both on the pitch and in the dressing room. 

Agreed Rob

He's also utterly horrible to play against

Advert

6 hours ago, PV1973 said:

If we ever had the slightest intention to go into next season with Gibbo as first choice RCB then the process and matrix is all wrong.  There’s no way that was ever going to happen as the signing of Cass proves. It’s nice to have players who can play multiple positions though which gives us a lot of flexibility. But of the 3 players out of contract I think that Proctor and Gibbo have the stronger cases for themselves, purely because of the impact they had on the games they played in and also how we play as a team. We were much stronger with them in it and I’m not sure we could honestly say the same about Benning. 

DF made a very good point about Mal, his form improved vastly following the signing of Conor Hall. For me the real Mal Benning is what we saw at the back end if the season. Just the same as Wozzer with Gibbo behind him. For all his strengths I do not see Hussey as an attacking wing back in the same mould. I really hope Mal signs.

Yeah I agree mate, there is a tendancy to gloss over, but I'm referring to since he came back into the side - maybe the competition with hussey also helped. 
What do you think the prospects are for Dan Jones now we have signed Cass? - he seems to be getting lower and lower in pecking order
I think Jones if fit may provide the cover for not only Hall but also Smith with Hall moving across to the middle. Martin is ok but far to soft for me especially considering main attribute is his size.

7 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:
7 hours ago, Hoppers said:
Yeah I agree mate, there is a tendancy to gloss over, but I'm referring to since he came back into the side - maybe the competition with hussey also helped. 
What do you think the prospects are for Dan Jones now we have signed Cass? - he seems to be getting lower and lower in pecking order

I think Jones if fit may provide the cover for not only Hall but also Smith with Hall moving across to the middle. Martin is ok but far to soft for me especially considering main attribute is his size.

I thought that until jones got sent off at Newport he was one of the best players and he looked a really good signing. But Connor Hall has eclipsed that. Don’t think we hardly saw Jones after that Newport game at all.

The most interesting thing about the Cass transfer is that according to his Insta, he’s currently in Florida at Disney world (the matrix will love that over him being in Ibiza). He posted a picture at the Coral Reef restaurant over night and he’s been there for a week. 

So surely that means all those videos and interviews were done before he went??

So the question is … is there anyone else have we already signed and just not released it??!!

8 hours ago, Hoppers said:

I think we still need a strong squad. Hall is no good on the left of defence if he is injured or suspended, for instance. 

I think the management team will still want a natural left-footer to cover for Hall so Jones would remain part of the squad with the door open if his form eclipses that of Hall or if Hall is unavailable.

We had a squad that, even as stretched as it became, got us promoted.

I reckon that squad would have coped with league one.

Maintaining the basis of that squad, plus a few quality additions will, I'm sure, do ok next season.

I don't want to get too far ahead of myself. I want to relish the times that we are in. But the future certainly looks very bright.

9 hours ago, Doha said:

Proctor's only just turned 30. He's no Ellison or Peter Clarke or Akinfenwa yet. Is he just naturally prone to frequent injury, or have we just had horrendous luck with the hernia?

When Gibbo was doing an interview before the playoff final and he was profiling/bantering his teammates, he did refer to Proctor as having "the hips of an 80 year old" so it seems to be well known within the club.

I like Proctor, and if we were in L2 I'd be loving him to sign, but in L1 I'm a bit on the fence.

12 hours ago, robf said:

I'm interested in why some don't seem to rate Proctor. For me, he was absolutely fantastic during parts of the season and only faded when his injury got so bad he literally couldn't get onto the pitch. However, I felt he earned kudos for playing through the pain.

I'm not saying he should be an undisputed starter upfront but he's not that old and would be a great squad man, starting some and being a decent option off the bench. I'd be very happy if he signed and disappointed if he left.

I thought he was excellent early season and he definitely made a difference when he initially returned from injury. Undoubtedly good enough to play L1 but unfortunately he is injury  prone and has been throughout his career. I don’t think he’s a player we can rely on to be available for more than 20 games a season which means you need to carry an extra striker in the squad to compensate.

51 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

The most interesting thing about the Cass transfer is that according to his Insta, he’s currently in Florida at Disney world (the matrix will love that over him being in Ibiza). He posted a picture at the Coral Reef restaurant over night and he’s been there for a week. 

So surely that means all those videos and interviews were done before he went??

So the question is … is there anyone else have we already signed and just not released it??!!

We were talking to a few players before the play offs and i guess he was one of those

13 hours ago, PV1973 said:

I don’t know, theres been no players around the club for 2 weeks. But FWIW I think Benning could be the one not to sign, just been on about that on the Ale and Vale podcast thread actually and I agree with Bez’s comments about him being ostracised for a few months could be the reason why he looks elsewhere and a club where he could be guaranteed more starts. 

I think it’s a bit of a stretch to say he was ostracised.

He started the season and struggled to settle in that LWB role. Gibbo then played fantastic in that position and was unstoppable. When MalB did come on but he didn’t do enough to warrant a place. 

He took his chance though when Hussey was injured and was one of our best players.

It’s clear we have a squad and no one player should be guaranteed a place. He did that in the final 3rd of the season and will need to continue to do so to keep his place, like everyone else.

I think it’s a bit of a stretch to say he was ostracised.
He started the season and struggled to settle in that LWB role. Gibbo then played fantastic in that position and was unstoppable. When MalB did come on but he didn’t do enough to warrant a place. 
He took his chance though when Hussey was injured and was one of our best players.
It’s clear we have a squad and no one player should be guaranteed a place. He did that in the final 3rd of the season and will need to continue to do so to keep his place, like everyone else.
Can't disagree with any of that. As good as he was during the last 2 months or so, it's lazy to put that solely down to Hall. Before that, he was largely average at best, and he clearly wasn't looking after himself as he could do (as evidenced by the before and after pics of his fitness blitz). Whether that was down to him thinking he was a shoo in and guaranteed a place, I don't know, but it shouldn't take a professional footballer 6 months to realise he needs to work for his place. More than happy to give him another 1 year deal on his recent performances now that the penny seems to have finally dropped.

Archived