onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

Advert

Solid first signing that is, he reminds me of Jack Grimmer who went on to play in the Championship with Wycombe.

Hopefully the lad can reach the Championship with the Vale in the next few years. He certainly has the ability & still a young lad.

You don't spend 10 years coming through Castles academy & flirting about on the first team bench a couple of times without having some real talent.

Great to have you back Cassy!

3 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

The thing with Proc is his injury record may put some clubs off.  Apparently we trusted him to train as he saw fit.  That’s got to be worth something.  Having said that, nobody could begrudge any older player chasing one last big payday.  Maybe this is what Flitcroft was referring to when talking about the club being fair and players and their agents also needing to be fair, but he did also say that negotiations were going well with the out of contract players.

I think there will be clubs that would still take a punt on Proctor if he didn’t sign with us. Especially when you look at his performances and goals ratio last season in the games that he played. Managed right and he can clearly have an impact. 

4 hours ago, Trumpingtonvale said:

Newcastle obviously saw something in him/expected him to improve to offer him another contract .

I may be looking to deep into this but the timing of this is quite machiavellian so kudos to the recruitment team - again!  The overlap of Cass’ and Gibbons’ skill sets certainly now weakens Gibbo’s agent’s position they might have had in next Tuesday’s negotiations when it comes to laying it on thick about him being the best RCB at the club (even though it might not be his preferred position).

If we ever had the slightest intention to go into next season with Gibbo as first choice RCB then the process and matrix is all wrong.  There’s no way that was ever going to happen as the signing of Cass proves. It’s nice to have players who can play multiple positions though which gives us a lot of flexibility. But of the 3 players out of contract I think that Proctor and Gibbo have the stronger cases for themselves, purely because of the impact they had on the games they played in and also how we play as a team. We were much stronger with them in it and I’m not sure we could honestly say the same about Benning. 

1 minute ago, PV1973 said:

If we ever had the slightest intention to go into next season with Gibbo as first choice RCB then the process and matrix is all wrong.  There’s no way that was ever going to happen as the signing of Cass proves. It’s nice to have players who can play multiple positions though which gives us a lot of flexibility. But of the 3 players out of contract I think that Proctor and Gibbo have the stronger cases for themselves, purely because of the impact they had on the games they played in and also how we play as a team. We were much stronger with them in it and I’m not sure we could honestly say the same about Benning. 

Mate Im not so sure about Benning, Since he came back stronger and fitter after his extra curricular fitness regime, he has had almost universal acclaim - I don't think there is a knats duck of difference between the three out of contracts - they are all fantastic team players and am sure the club is doing its equal best to re-sign all of them 😁👍 - I keep saying it, but I can't remember the last time I was so excited - the whole ambience around the club is just wonderful. 

But if we lose the first game I'm going refund me season ticket - can I do that? 🤩

12 minutes ago, Hoppers said:

Mate Im not so sure about Benning, Since he came back stronger and fitter after his extra curricular fitness regime, he has had almost universal acclaim - I don't think there is a knats duck of difference between the three out of contracts - they are all fantastic team players and am sure the club is doing its equal best to re-sign all of them 😁👍 - I keep saying it, but I can't remember the last time I was so excited - the whole ambience around the club is just wonderful. 

But if we lose the first game I'm going refund me season ticket - can I do that? 🤩

Call me harsh but I think that Bennings last couple of performances in the final and semi final have put a gloss on what was overall a really disappointing season from him. He’s had nowhere near the same amount of impact individually or on how we played as a team as when Proctor and Gibbo were in the side. Same goes for players like Cass, Hall and Conlon who were so important to how we played and all probably played a similar amount of games and we felt their loss too when they didn’t feature. 

11 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Call me harsh but I think that Bennings last couple of performances in the final and semi final have put a gloss on what was overall a really disappointing season from him. He’s had nowhere near the same amount of impact individually or on how we played as a team as when Proctor and Gibbo were in the side. Same goes for players like Cass, Hall and Conlon who were so important to how we played and all probably played a similar amount of games and we felt their loss too when they didn’t feature. 

Yeah I agree mate, there is a tendancy to gloss over, but I'm referring to since he came back into the side - maybe the competition with hussey also helped. 

What do you think the prospects are for Dan Jones now we have signed Cass? - he seems to be getting lower and lower in pecking order

13 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Call me harsh but I think that Bennings last couple of performances in the final and semi final have put a gloss on what was overall a really disappointing season from him. He’s had nowhere near the same amount of impact individually or on how we played as a team as when Proctor and Gibbo were in the side.

It’s a bit harsh. I’d say it was more than just a couple of games, he was vastly improved in every game he featured in at the tail end compared to earlier in the season.  If that’s down to his new fitness regime, as has been suggested, then you’d expect him to pick up where he left off.

1 minute ago, Hoppers said:

Yeah I agree mate, there is a tendancy to gloss over, but I'm referring to since he came back into the side - maybe the competition with hussey also helped. 

What do you think the prospects are for Dan Jones now we have signed Cass? - he seems to be getting lower and lower in pecking order

Cass plays on the right, Dan Jones on the left.

49 minutes ago, Hoppers said:

I don't think Cass coming in impacts Jones. Cass will be backed up by Sammy Robinson and Jones will be doing the same for Connor Hall. All being well that means Smith can focus on making that middle spot his own from now on rather than being asked to play as one of the wider CB's. Jones needs to get himself properly fit again first. Since he was sent off at Newport barely saw him due to him being injured as well so needs to focus on getting whatever it was right. 

1 hour ago, Doha said:

Proctor's only just turned 30. He's no Ellison or Peter Clarke or Akinfenwa yet. Is he just naturally prone to frequent injury, or have we just had horrendous luck with the hernia?

Rotherham United 2017–18[90] League One 4 0 0 0 2 1 0 0 6 1
2018–19[91] Championship 16 2 0 0 2 2 18 4
2019–20[92] League One 3 0 0 0 1 0 1[e] 0 5 0
2020–21[70] Championship 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Total 23 2 0 0 5 3 1 0 29 5
Scunthorpe United (loan) 2019–20[92] League Two 13 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 14 1
AFC Fylde (loan) 2019–20[63] National League 8 1 0 0 0 0 1[f] 0 9 1
Newport County (loan) 2020–21[70] League Two 10 1 3 1 0 0 0 0 13 2
Wigan Athletic (loan) 2020–21[70] League One 15 2 15 2
Port Vale 2021–22[93] League Two 31 12 0 0 1 1 2[d] 0 34 13

A bit of both really, I think. Sound like his time at Rotherham got off to a bad start and maybe he should have been given more time to recover from his initial injury this season. Not sure where the more recent pelvis (injury) fits in, sometimes players who have been through it develop all kinds of niggles. Worth pointing out that despite his injuries this season, he did play in 34 games for us.

2 hours ago, PV1973 said:

I disagree. I think Benning just needed time to adjust to his role. Once he figured it out, the confidence came.

His performances in the second half of the season were of a high quality and I will be very disappointed if he doesn't sign.

Just as an example... 

Archived