onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

Advert

17 hours ago, The French Connection said:

I don't agree.  Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich and the like are in League 1 for a reason.  Sunderland have just spent 6 seasons there.  Basically, they're not doing very well, for whatever reason.  We are doing well and I'll be disappointed if we aren't pretty competitive in this league. 

And there's  only a handful of "top" clubs...the rest are very much what we've been playing against regularly

15 hours ago, Walka003 said:
15 hours ago, blackdog said:
Tomas Holy signs a two year contract at Carlisle.

Holy could come good, hopeless for us but he has had good spells in English football. Fresh start may do him good

Conceded 6 in 9 with 3 clean sheets...so must have conceded no more than a single goal in each of 6 matches - he will be a good signing for them!

1 hour ago, LancyTony said:

And there's  only a handful of "top" clubs...the rest are very much what we've been playing against regularly

Accie,Burton, Fleetwood, Morecambe, Cheltenham, Shrewsbury,Cambridge,Lincoln,FGR,Exeter,Bristol.

Charlton,Derby

Plymouth,Oxford,Bolton,Wycombe

MK, Peterborough, Barnsley,Ipswich,Portsmouth,Sheff W 

The first teams are the ones I think we are capable of beating,the second I don't know(new manager plus Derby may have points deducted),the next group could be POs or at the top,the last group I expect to be promo possibilities.

It's all about opinions but I think this is a hard league to get out of. Look at Sunderland and how long it took them.

I'm optimistic though...and excited!

League One is incredibly tough, the top 10 were streets ahead of everyone else and even 80 points which got you third in L2 didnt get you in the top 6 in L1!

Huge budgets at Sheff Weds, Peterborough, Bolton, Ipswich, Pompey (possibly Derby depending) established tope end sides in Wycombe, Oxford, MK, and Barnsley.

We need to be realistic, we may ride the wave but its very much a case of consolidation at the moment, if we can finish top of the rest it will be a decent season and build from there, over a couple of seasons I imagine these bigger clubs will finally get their act together and the league will become more League Oney in terms of clubs.

12 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

League One is incredibly tough, the top 10 were streets ahead of everyone else and even 80 points which got you third in L2 didnt get you in the top 6 in L1!

Huge budgets at Sheff Weds, Peterborough, Bolton, Ipswich, Pompey (possibly Derby depending) established tope end sides in Wycombe, Oxford, MK, and Barnsley.

We need to be realistic, we may ride the wave but its very much a case of consolidation at the moment, if we can finish top of the rest it will be a decent season and build from there, over a couple of seasons I imagine these bigger clubs will finally get their act together and the league will become more League Oney in terms of clubs.

Good preparation for the step up to the Championship then 😄

Just what we need!

31 minutes ago, SFBT said:

Good preparation for the step up to the Championship then 😄

Just what we need!

80+ points for top 6 teams doesn't sound like a very competitive league to me. Sounds like a real gulf in class between the top sides and the bottom. Some very poor sides in that league last year which I think is very positive for us. I'd take 20th anyway 

I would imagine DC and co will need the first half of the season up until the transfer window reopens to assess the players to see where we are at. It seems to me we are going to be going into the next season with the core side that played in league 2 and was built to achieve promotion. There are going to be 1 or 2 and probably more of our players that are not going to cut at the higher level and you could see more activity in January than this summer but he's got to be fair to the ones who have got us there and give them a chance to prove themselves at a higher level. He probably doesn't even know himself yet whether some of his players can adjust. Looking at the teams I'm sure we can aim for a top 12 finish but we shouldn't be pressing the panic button if things don't start well. The main aim is to get enough points to survive then go from there, cannot see us being involved at the top end without 4-5 players good league one/ championship players that will improve each position but we will see. There are about 8 teams who are going to be really strong with championship squads and budgets and with our current personnel we are just not going to be able to compete with week in week out.

Flitcroft

“But as soon as we got through, we got contract negotiations delivered to the players. I have a face to face meeting with Gibbo and his agent on Tuesday. I am currently negotiating with Jamie Proctor and his agent, and with Mal Benning.

“We are just trying to do something that is the right deal for the player and the club. I think one thing we have always shown at the club since I have been here is fairness. This club has been brilliant at looking after players and their families. It is the best I have known and the players say that as well.

“You want that fairness on both sides. When either side gets greedy then it doesn’t become a sustainable deal.

“Honestly, a lot of players want to sign for Port Vale. I am getting inundated with players and agents. We are in a really exciting time of recruitment but keeping the core of the squad together is key. We had a really big destabilisation at the end of last season (the club released all their out of contract players) and another in January really. But it was needed.

“This is a case of trying to keep a brilliant core of players, the momentum and spirit and adding to that.

We have some really exciting clubs that want to work with us. We worked with Leeds (for Edmondson), Huddersfield (for Harratt), Newcastle (for Cass) and also with Bolton with Dennis Politic.

“There are Championship clubs that players have gone to where they have put on weight, they have lost muscle mass or speed over distance, their GPS figures are down on what they should be.

“But the way Port Vale looked after players, and this goes back to Carol’s values, and the way they have been supported makes it miles easier for recruitment.

“Also, we have gone a league higher. A lot of Premier League clubs don’t really send players to League Two when they can send them out to Vitesse Arnhem or the Belgian and German leagues.

“But we are currently speaking to clubs and doing presentations. I did two last week and am doing two next week to say this is what we can offer. It is brilliant, as the Port Vale director of football, to be able to present to some of the best clubs in the country. It has even surprised me, and not much does in football.

“I think the word has gone out that Port Vale looks after players – technically, tactically and physically but also psychologically with that social support for players.”

Flitcroft

“But as soon as we got through, we got contract negotiations delivered to the players. I have a face to face meeting with Gibbo and his agent on Tuesday. I am currently negotiating with Jamie Proctor and his agent, and with Mal Benning.
“We are just trying to do something that is the right deal for the player and the club. I think one thing we have always shown at the club since I have been here is fairness. This club has been brilliant at looking after players and their families. It is the best I have known and the players say that as well.
“You want that fairness on both sides. When either side gets greedy then it doesn’t become a sustainable deal.
“Honestly, a lot of players want to sign for Port Vale. I am getting inundated with players and agents. We are in a really exciting time of recruitment but keeping the core of the squad together is key. We had a really big destabilisation at the end of last season (the club released all their out of contract players) and another in January really. But it was needed.
“This is a case of trying to keep a brilliant core of players, the momentum and spirit and adding to that.
We have some really exciting clubs that want to work with us. We worked with Leeds (for Edmondson), Huddersfield (for Harratt), Newcastle (for Cass) and also with Bolton with Dennis Politic.
“There are Championship clubs that players have gone to where they have put on weight, they have lost muscle mass or speed over distance, their GPS figures are down on what they should be.
“But the way Port Vale looked after players, and this goes back to Carol’s values, and the way they have been supported makes it miles easier for recruitment.
“Also, we have gone a league higher. A lot of Premier League clubs don’t really send players to League Two when they can send them out to Vitesse Arnhem or the Belgian and German leagues.
“But we are currently speaking to clubs and doing presentations. I did two last week and am doing two next week to say this is what we can offer. It is brilliant, as the Port Vale director of football, to be able to present to some of the best clubs in the country. It has even surprised me, and not much does in football.
“I think the word has gone out that Port Vale looks after players – technically, tactically and physically but also psychologically with that social support for players.”
Think getting him in as DoF has been a real masterstroke from Carol. Not only a successful business man but an ex player and manager. Speaks very well and his recruitment record thus far has been outstanding.

Up the process

Archived