onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

Advert

Yeah our ceiling will definitely increase in the league 1. I’d be surprised if Smithy left to Stockport personally. Money would be the only reason and I’d like to think we would offer something competitive to one or our best players in recent years. Re the keepers, I’d like to see a proper number 1 signed. Cov is decent and I love his personality and for me a good number 2. Stone, great shot stopper but makes errors in terms of crosses and communication. I’d keep cov as number 2 and look to loan Stone out to a league 2 side. Think he will be a great keeper in a couple of years 

6 hours ago, Bob Newtonian said:

Agreed... and don't forget these teams have had 5 years of league 1 income and development of their infrastructure and playing and coaching staff while we have been battling for survival as a league club since we went down, cobbling together a team as best we could given the ownership issue with no thought of the future and improving the club. That kind of gap will take a lot of closing.

League 1 is a step up. Faster more mobile players are required, We have no forwards bar Wilson (if hes fit at best he's good for 10 goals) with a midfield made up of nice footballers, all similar,  but no strong box to box runners. I can well understand while we are serious relegation favorites especially with a lack of pace at the back - and the jury is still out on our keeper.

It ll need a huge effort from everyone next year to keep above the relegation places in my opinion.

But lets give it a go.

Crowd will need to be patient and enthusiastic  as there will certainly be bad results along the way. Personally I cant wait.

Inclined to agree with this having read back through a few pages of comments.  After witnessing various promotions I’ve always been of the opinion that the players looked faster, sharper, when watching those first few games in a higher division.

We’ll need quite a few new players to augment what we have. 

1 hour ago, sandyford_valiant said:

He’s got the makings of a very decent forward. Especially with his pace and he’s quite strong for a young pro. I think Huddersfield would’ve certainly wanted him to go to a league one club for the upcoming season so I think we have a very good chance we will see him back for the season. It’s a huge jump up to championship level from league 2 so I’d imagine they will monitor him next season with us and if he continues to impress then he will get his chance in Yorkshire. Harratt proctor Wilson and another league one player who can find the bet is what is needed. 

Harratt and Wilson...what a pair. Wilson came deep,Harratt used his pace in behind. In the 2 games together,3 goals between them,lots of movement and efforts on goal. Shame they weren't played together more often

We can’t go into the new season with the 6 midfielders we have. When Conlon was out we had virtually zero creativity at times. Imagine that against Sheffield Wednesday and Pompey, we’ll get mullered. Conlon and Walker will always be injury doubts and need to be a managed as such. So either they’ll be missing games through load management or injury. I think Pett, Taylor, Garrity and Charsley could all be good for half an hour as subs, but if we’re relying on them as starters we will struggle. In summary:

New New Conlon (3 of Conlon’s calibre midfield, with one as good but defensive-minded)

Walker Pett Garrity on the bench

Taylor if the squad can stretch to 7 mids.

Charsley will have to be moved with Hurst, even though he’s only just arrived. Hopefully that will not be a stumbling block.

Not having all this guff about needing more pace, etc. We''ll be playing in L1, not the Bundesliga or Serie A...and against teams we've already beaten recently - Accrington S / Bristol R / Exeter / FGR plus, in not-so-distant seasons: Cheltenham / Lincoln / Shrewsbury / Bolton and Burton. The biggest teams in there are Derby / Ipswich / Sheff Wed and, probably, Portsmouth? Fleetwood and Morecambe came within GD and 2 points from being relegated, whilst Rotherham got automatic promotion - and we had a good game against them. Let's not start panicking before we've kicked a ball in anger, eh? Otherwise there may well be a good few of you with eggy faces - just like last season!

We will have to accept some who have become fans favourites will need to be moved on.  No idea who, but to continue to progress current first teamers will become squad players and replaced with better first picks.  

I am confident any new signings will have been well researched for both their on field and off field contribution to a close knit group, just as both last summers and the January additions were

Trust the pruhcess & UTV.

3 hours ago, LancyTony said:

Exactly DazFred - a group of players with a great spirit AND who know how they all play and know the system the Manager wants to play! - how often have we gone into a new season, recently, with that spirit and knowledge?   

Tony,

I've been going to Vale since the 70s. Recently we've had players with no real affinity to the club...couple of seasons and off they go. I had no real expectations this season and top 7 would be progress, especially with the turnover of players.

I went to the first 2 home games and ended up going to 17 league games,Accie,Brentford,Swindle and Wembley.

Thoroughly enjoyed it,played some of the best footie I've seen in seasons and I can't wait for next season.

I can see Amoo,possibly Hurst and there's always a surprise exit.

At least we know what Dan Jones is at the club for now!

Main thing for me is to keep injuries at a minimum.

8 minutes ago, DazFred said:

Tony,

I've been going to Vale since the 70s. Recently we've had players with no real affinity to the club...couple of seasons and off they go. I had no real expectations this season and top 7 would be progress, especially with the turnover of players.

I went to the first 2 home games and ended up going to 17 league games,Accie,Brentford,Swindle and Wembley.

Thoroughly enjoyed it,played some of the best footie I've seen in seasons and I can't wait for next season.

I can see Amoo,possibly Hurst and there's always a surprise exit.

At least we know what Dan Jones is at the club for now!

Main thing for me is to keep injuries at a minimum.

I agree - a review has to be undertaken into why we had so many injuries, and finding a solution - if there is one - could be as beneficial as signing a new player?

1 hour ago, 1 said:

We can’t go into the new season with the 6 midfielders we have. When Conlon was out we had virtually zero creativity at times. Imagine that against Sheffield Wednesday and Pompey, we’ll get mullered. Conlon and Walker will always be injury doubts and need to be a managed as such. So either they’ll be missing games through load management or injury. I think Pett, Taylor, Garrity and Charsley could all be good for half an hour as subs, but if we’re relying on them as starters we will struggle. In summary:

New New Conlon (3 of Conlon’s calibre midfield, with one as good but defensive-minded)

Walker Pett Garrity on the bench

Taylor if the squad can stretch to 7 mids.

Charsley will have to be moved with Hurst, even though he’s only just arrived. Hopefully that will not be a stumbling block.

Bench Garrity? You ok hun?

Archived