onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

1 hour ago, MBE said:

Don't fall into the trap of the team name is not prestigious so we should be better. The last 5 years should tell us that's not how it works.

I'm not.I genuinely think we have better players and will have better players than these teams

Advert

On first glance, League 1 looks weaker than normal next season. None of the sides promoted from League 2 are better than us, there were some ropey teams who just avoided the drop in league 1, and I don't think any of the clubs relegated from the Championship will be up there due to their dreadful points totals. Of course, I may be talking garbage !

2 hours ago, Joe B said:

We need a 10 in midfield. An Oyeleke type. Someone with the ability to split teams open and beat a man. 

Ideally, he'll be younger and therefore content to not play every week, but will be useful for late on in games. Politic was effectively this sort of player from wide. As good as our 6 midfielders are, I feel we just lack that bit of magic.

Obviously I am only going off what i saw on tv and haven't seen him play 46 games but John McAtee looked a class above playing for Grimsby in a number 10 role

4 hours ago, Joe B said:

I think people are really overestimating the step-up in quality. We don't need to change a great deal.

Last time we went up, in Micky Adams' last full season of management and with Smurthwaite running the club, we finished 9th. We made a few signings like Lines, Robertson, and Dicko, but the vast majority of starters were already at the club, like Yates, Duffy, Neal, JMW, Pope, Dodds, Griff, Loft.

All 4 promoted clubs stayed up last season, three very comfortably and Morecambe on a budget of about £20.

We had to literally sign non-league players from Scandinavia and France to go down last time, and that was by the skin of our teeth with two of the poorest managers in club history being led by the worst owner in club history. We seemed to be actively trying to get relegated, but if De Freitas had a tad more composure at Fleetwood we'd have stayed up.

We hammered Stanley, beat Burton, and took Rotherham to penalties last season.

There's one or two players I wouldn't be delighted to see start, but the likes of Pett won't have any issues. There will be 2/3 teams at the very top who are Championship level, but a lot of drudgery from 12th down. We're a club on the up with an excellent set-up, already far better run than the vast majority of clubs knocking about the recesses of the third tier.

Be sound. 5-6 bits of quality in and we'll be looking at steady mid-table at worst. The challenge was getting out of that tinpot affair. You Matrix had to rebuild an entire squad with about three months prep last summer; it's had 12 months to get ready for this, and far less work is needed.

Some really good posts here from Joe and I’ve missed these types of posts.

That’s not dig either mate, as I can completely appreciate why the frustration began to set in when it looked like we were about to throw a fabulous promotion chance away. 

I’m still very much on a high and I’m reluctant at present to suggest where I feel slight improvements are needed - as I want us and the team to be able to enjoy this a little while longer. 

however, priorities for me is Gibbo and Smith signing new contracts. Smith showed in the last few games why he should always have stayed at CB rather trying to make him play the RCB role. 

a few tweaks but I don’t want the squad balance and relationship completely ripped up, I’m happy to just keep adding small tweaks to ensure we continue to progress

It really is a game of opinions. 

Of our midfield, in order of ability to cope with League 1, I'd say it's:

Conlon > Walker> Taylor > Garrity > Pett >Charsley

The first three could get into quite a few decent teams in my opinion. But we do need to strengthen. We need a better version of Charsley and maybe a more obvious DM as back up to Walker. I've had plenty of digs at Pett, because he frustrates me but he was great in the last few game - he just strikes me as a player who has found his level. Gives the ball away a lot without being able to hurt the opposition enough. Harsh maybe, but my feeling.

The ones I can see us moving on are: Charsley, Martin, Hurst (who I like), Amoo, Lucas (I'd keep him) and Hussey.

We definitely need more pace generally. It might be the difference in tighter games against better defences. I'd say we could do with a midfield enforcer in the Coutts mould, another forward thinking midfielder with a bit of pace , a decent ball playing centre half. At least 2 more strikers (perhaps a little and large combo) and maybe a younger, faster wing back.

Unfortunately, we can't stand still and although I don't think the management will want to rip the team apart again I think people will be surprised at who moves on. Some lads who have done brilliantly in league 2 may not be able to cut it in league 1. As Clarke and Flitcroft have said before, we have been too sentimental in the past and kept players who were probably past their best or not up to the step up in level. I trust them to make the best decisions for the club and I think we'll have a half decent budget to do alright.

Your Sheffield Wednesdays and Derbys will probably bring in some big names but as we have seen, this doesn't always work. Our management team has a plan of how it wants to play and brings in the right players to execute it...not just any player who has at one time been good.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

Archived