onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

CM isn’t the issue Imo. For me, Conlon, Walker, Taylor, Garrity and Pett will all be good enough. I’m not sure about Charsley as I don’t think he’s too good with the ball but as 5th / 6th choice he will do. I can’t see us doing much in that area at all. 
I'd agree, CM is probably our strongest position. No reason to waste any budget there.

Advert

We need a 10 in midfield. An Oyeleke type. Someone with the ability to split teams open and beat a man. 

Ideally, he'll be younger and therefore content to not play every week, but will be useful for late on in games. Politic was effectively this sort of player from wide. As good as our 6 midfielders are, I feel we just lack that bit of magic.

I've seen about 3 or 4 League 1 final standings predictions already now that everyone is confirmed and we were bottom of every one of them. We will be the favourite to go down but wrongly in my eyes. 

I think the priority for recruitment will be someone in that back 3 with Hall and Smith. We need a quicker CB and a player that can carry the ball out. Cass was great at that, I also remember him playing in a Papa Johns game last season against Rochdale in October and sprinting back to what was a one on one with Stone and did enough to prevent a goal.

Too many times last season when we were under pressure we cleared anywhere and gave back possession, over and over and as good as Smith, Martin and Hall have been good at that, we really need someone who can get it on their boots and hold the ball up and run.

2 hours ago, SFBT said:

Tom Pett is a good example of how difficult decision making can be. Guaranteed to be staying after a very good season I would expect.

However, he played 44 games in Lincoln's promotion from league two, and only 2 in league one, before dropping back to league two with Stevenage.
He's also 31.

Fantastic signing for us, a brilliant season and really good L2 player but I think he's one who I think will be gone by the beginning of the season. 

If I was the Crewe boss he would be my number 1 transfer target.

4 minutes ago, Emile said:

1 goal conceeded in the last 4 games against teams that finished 2nd, 6th and 7th - defence of steel.

But yes, another centre back needed, if Connor Hall has a twin that would be great

We did concede 2 at Swindon but I think that only highlights where the problem is. Martin played in the back 3 at their place. At home we put Gibbo in there and against Mansfield and we didn't concede. 

EDIT: To add to that, Martin came off in the 78th minute, Benning came on and we got a goal back. I'm not blaming it all on Martin, he anticipates balls along the floor to strikers well, knows when to step up, but he is limited in mobility.

Agree with a lot of the above. Surely we will be better than Fleetwood, Morecambe , Burton, Cheltenham, Cambridge etc. Can't see Exeter or FGR setting the league alight either. I'll Settle for Mid-table then really push on the following season.

3 minutes ago, arthurdog said:

Agree with a lot of the above. Surely we will be better than Fleetwood, Morecambe , Burton, Cheltenham, Cambridge etc. Can't see Exeter or FGR setting the league alight either. I'll Settle for Mid-table then really push on the following season.

Don't fall into the trap of the team name is not prestigious so we should be better. The last 5 years should tell us that's not how it works.

4 minutes ago, MBE said:

Don't fall into the trap of the team name is not prestigious so we should be better. The last 5 years should tell us that's not how it works.

Agreed... and don't forget these teams have had 5 years of league 1 income and development of their infrastructure and playing and coaching staff while we have been battling for survival as a league club since we went down, cobbling together a team as best we could given the ownership issue with no thought of the future and improving the club. That kind of gap will take a lot of closing.

League 1 is a step up. Faster more mobile players are required, We have no forwards bar Wilson (if hes fit at best he's good for 10 goals) with a midfield made up of nice footballers, all similar,  but no strong box to box runners. I can well understand while we are serious relegation favorites especially with a lack of pace at the back - and the jury is still out on our keeper.

It ll need a huge effort from everyone next year to keep above the relegation places in my opinion.

But lets give it a go.

Crowd will need to be patient and enthusiastic  as there will certainly be bad results along the way. Personally I cant wait.

40 minutes ago, Rocky said:

I've seen about 3 or 4 League 1 final standings predictions already now that everyone is confirmed and we were bottom of every one of them. We will be the favourite to go down but wrongly in my eyes.

It's just lazy 'they won the playoffs, ergo are the worst promoted team'. Most football fans know precious little outside of their own club. 

The lads who know what they're talking about will put it right in late July. Ali and George from NTT20 etc. 

32 minutes ago, MBE said:

Fantastic signing for us, a brilliant season and really good L2 player but I think he's one who I think will be gone by the beginning of the season. 

If I was the Crewe boss he would be my number 1 transfer target.

I think you could well be right there.  He's got 12 months left on a deal at Vale, in a higher league.  What if someone offers him a two year deal in L2 on the same money.  I think he'd have to take it at his age. 

Vale have had a good season and people will be sniffing around some of our players.  There may well be a few surprises coming up. 

Archived