onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

Advert

8 hours ago, Doha said:

I heard a Telford rumour earlier in the month. He hasn't signed the new offer from Newport yet and next week is the deadline.

I trust flickers and the rest of the team but I d be suprised if we were interested…. Not athletic  enough and 1 outstanding season amongst many proves very little really…. Look at pope and mkirdy. Would rather push the boat out for harrat.

On 29/05/2022 at 20:40, pete vale said:

Get Conlon and Walker fit, midfield is strong. Make offers to Gibbo, Smith and Worrall, certainly take up the option on Bennings contract (if there is one?) Keepers are fine. I'd look for championship/ top end Lge 1 players, either right or left wing and in a central defensive role. We may get caught for pace more so in League 1.

Try and get Cass back, he could develop all across the back line. We may need an 'aggressor' in midfield at this level. From what I remember this may be quite a 'step up' in pace and quality. We could do well. Trust the process.

All about opinions..I think our midfield as it stands ( even assuming conlon and walker get fit) is way below what’s required. Just not athletic enough. Defo think we need a goalkeeper…. But the best we can afford. Defence is too slow on the turn and we only have Wilson as a forward with potential for 10 goals as proctors never fit. 
A lot of changes needed for me. 

1 hour ago, Bob Newtonian said:

Just not athletic enough.

I don't disagree that we could do with a bit more pace in the side, particularly at the back. I'm not quite sure however where you've got this idea that there is this gulf in athleticism and quality between L1 and L2, almost like they're basically playing different sports.

It's certainly not based on the evidence of the 3 cup games we had v Sunderland, Accrington and Burton, all of whom we were a match for (or more!), or the fate of teams recently promoted from L2 to L1. 

I think with half a dozen good additions we've got the basis of a mid-table L1 side, which would do me fine for the next couple of years.

My ideal wishlist would have:

- Cass (replacing Robinson in the squad, who can go out on loan to gain experience)

- a right-footed clone of Connor Hall (to replace Martin)

- a second Gibbo (in addition to a 3-year deal for the one we already have of course)

- an Anthony Grant-type driving midfielder (a bit like Manny, but not broken, taking Hurst's place in the squad)

- a new Politic, a nippy, dribbly game-changer from the bench (replacing Amoo in the squad)

- a third experienced striker (Telford would do me, if there is any substance to that, assuming he's the right fit in terms of personality)

I'd also have Harratt and Edmondson staying, on loan if necessary, but ideally permanently. So only a couple of extra players in the squad, trying to maintain a balance between the existing tight-knit group, but with a bit more injury cover, and only 3 leaving permanently (and even those with a heavy heart and the best of wishes, as they've done nowt wrong).

Obviously won't be anything like that, but still, in the pruhcess we trust...

I’d think Telford would be on the list of targets had we not got promoted but not so sure now.

Also, I guess after spending these last few years in the doldrums most of us armchair managers have little knowledge of many of the players in the league above.

On 27/05/2022 at 19:10, andy jones said:

Wonder whether or not the playing budget will be increased now that Smurthwaite has been paid off?

I think we still have to comply with FFP? In which case it's based on income, not on expenditure decreasing.

On 29/05/2022 at 18:35, mr.hobblesworth said:

I know it's stupidly sentimental of me but I'd like to keep our current keepers.

Not at all - Covalan should have learned his lesson, now, and was a good keeper; and Aiden Stone is young enough to improve. I thought he'd got a lot better since playing v Brentford? Certainly seems more comfortable with  coming out of his area!

On 29/05/2022 at 18:59, Walka003 said:

I don't see why we wouldn't keep both. I think both would are capable at L1 level.

League 1 is not such a massive step up! We did well against L1 teams last season, and L1 has several teams we've played in the last 3 - 5 seasons. We only need a bit more consistency...and a lot fewer injuries...to do ok. Not claiming a promotion run is anticipated, but neither can it be ruled out with some astute tweaks!

League 1 is not such a massive step up! We did well against L1 teams last season, and L1 has several teams we've played in the last 3 - 5 seasons. We only need a bit more consistency...and a lot fewer injuries...to do ok. Not claiming a promotion run is anticipated, but neither can it be ruled out with some astute tweaks!

League one has some very big clubs with big budgets. I don't doubt we will be able to hold our own, and I'm not suggesting we overhaul the squad to get there, but to suggest it's not a big step up when we're going from playing Crawley and stevenage to Derby, Pompey and Sheffield weds is wrong imo. Granted there's some bad teams in there too and I'm confident we can pull together a good league 1 squad that we can keep adding too over the next few years.

I think the only way to get round the injury issue is to rip the pitch up. Think every manager since Adams has pulled his face about the heaviness of our pitch. Maybe the Robbie crowd will knacker it that much that we can claim off his insurance for a new one

I’d think Telford would be on the list of targets had we not got promoted but not so sure now.
Also, I guess after spending these last few years in the doldrums most of us armchair managers have little knowledge of many of the players in the league above.
I'm not so sure knowledge of L1 will be much help to us fans with our signings. We seemed to pluck some wonderful players from complete obscurity last season. Can't wait to see whoever we sign play.

We'll never know who the targets were but it'd be fascinating to see the data on new players signed in case of another L2 season. All ripped up now in favour of Plan A : league one.
I would imagine the players are the same it just means we have a better chance of getting them from the top of our list rather than 6th or 7th down

Tom Pett is a good example of how difficult decision making can be. Guaranteed to be staying after a very good season I would expect.

However, he played 44 games in Lincoln's promotion from league two, and only 2 in league one, before dropping back to league two with Stevenage.
He's also 31.

Archived