onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

12 hours ago, Vale Ball said:

Could be few surprises, one or two could be looking over their shoulders.

pity they don't do that to defend crosses at the back post.

Advert

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Agree with all of that apart from the horrible CM. He's already here, Brad Walker, ridiculous amount of bookings forever doing niggly fouls around the half way line. A fit Walker we don't capitulate. 

He's dirty, but also has a great passing range . Not played enough games due to injury and unable to break into a winning team. 

The last 3 games show his worth to the team. 

I like Brad,I really do and he would always be in my team if fit. He’s a great player, a niggly one who goes quietly about his business. I just don’t see him as a vocal player to galvanise those around him and set a tone.We need more personality in the midfield squad, without Conlon we are nice. Without Brad we are lightweight.

My view for if we stay in league 2

Under contract
Sam Robinson (2023)
Harry Charsley (unknown - not mentioned in press release)
Connor Hall (unknown - not mentioned in press release)
James Wilson (2023)
Brad Walker (2023)
Dan Jones (2023)
Ben Garrity (2023)
Aaron Martin (2023)
Tom Pett (2023)
Tom Conlon (2024)

Under contract but make available
Chris Hussey (unknown - not mentioned in press release)
Lucas Covolan (2023)
Alex Hurst (2023)
Jake Taylor (2024)

Out of contract - Offer a contract
Aidan Stone
Jamie Proctor
James Gibbons - Difficult one this but I would offer "games available" based contract
Nathan Smith - In League 2 I would keep Smithy

Out of contract - Release
Mal Benning
David Amoo
David Worrall

Loanees returning - Let them all go back
Joel Cooper
Tomas Holy
Ryan Edmondson
Kiatt Harratt

Benning, Amoo and Worral, I would assume, are on big money and I would back Flickers and DC to go an find a gem in the summer when valuations are back to their normal levels vs the over inflated January costs.

I also agree we need to be more impactful with our loans

That would then leave us with a team (before adding some extra squad depth that may be better than the below) of:

New GK

New LWB

Hall
Smith
New RCB

Gibbo

Walker
Conlon
Garrity

Proctor
Wilson

Bench: Stone, Martin, Jones, Charsley, Pett, New Fwd/Att Mid, New Fwd

16 hours ago, valefan16 said:

Bring back Lewis Cass on loan (or sign if available).

I’d love Piergianni, a proper old fashioned head everything centre half and a danger going forward from set pieces, would we have dealt with those far post headers we kept conceding earlier in the season with him in there? 

Exactly my thoughts, can’t see Piergianni wanting to be playing National League next season. That would bolster the central defence and particularly if we could get Cass signed-up as well. Don’t see Benning or Hussey being the number 1 choice on the left so both wing back positions may need strengthening. A lot depends on Gibbo’s situation.

Walker, Garrity & Conlon would be my first choice midfield. Add a creative midfielder to offer cover / plan B.

Proctor & Wilson are fine if they get the proper service, too much dropping off to get the ball. A nippy, horrible pacey striker in the mould of McKirdy / Telford to offer a plan B.

Easy isn’t it. 😄

The season isn't over yet summer targets fair enough players who you would release on the basis on sat they have the biggest game of there lives the ones selected that is .

Leave it till end of season with your why you would release players we have 4 Cup finals left win them all then we will talk after .

UTV 

17 hours ago, valefan16 said:

It depends on lot on which league we are in I guess, let’s base this on being in league two which is more likely than not based on odds.

Of the four loanees I would be tempted to look at keeping Edmundson, I think he does offer something but depends on Leeds plans for him.

Of the out of contract I would keep Smith, Gibbons (not sure clubs will gamble on him with his injuries just yet so should stand a chance), Benning, Proctor is a must and I would be tempted to keep Woz (assuming his hip is the problem and can be worked out over the summer).

Stone I would keep as a number 2.

I would release Amoo.

I would transfer list Covolan if the club don’t want him, Hurst and if they don’t plan on using him Taylor.

Replace Covolan with a decent number one. The Colchester keeper if available George would be a decent signing.

Bring back Lewis Cass on loan (or sign if available).

I’d love Piergianni, a proper old fashioned head everything centre half and a danger going forward from set pieces, would we have dealt with those far post headers we kept conceding earlier in the season with him in there? Possibly would see Martin make way.

If funds allowed a reliable centre forward to allow us to cope with losing Proctor or Wilson through injury and rest, ideally someone with a bit of pace. Maybe Simpson from Villa?

Creative midfielder to replace Taylor.

Maybe see what the Politic situation is in Italy as well.

Wouldn’t want to see another rebuild just the tweaks to push us that one step further, depth to the quality we have, sort the keeper situation.

I think Cass will be released by Newcastle so we might be in with a chance as he loved it here

I dont know but i wouldn't be shocked to see Gibbo now sign a 12mth or 2yr deal with a buy out option as imo clubs who were in for him will want to see him play a fair few games in a row first with no risk to them financially.

4 hours ago, 1 said:

we've seen the best of worrall, so it makes sense to let him go. he signed an improved contract so that good money being saved.

He has done a job for us but clearly doesn't fit into a system that DC wants to play,so i agree no shock for me if he leaves but he has been a tremendous player for us over the time he has been here

6 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Would anyone take Lloyd back from Cheltenham??

Shrewsbury have released Shaun Whalley,Defenders Ethan Ebanks-Landell and Aaron Pierre(rated when  at Wycombe) and midfielders David Davis and Josh Daniels

I thought Lloyd showed a good workrate and attitude but I just don’t think he’s enough of a goal threat. As the fourth choice striker wouldn’t be the worst though.

Crewe done their retained list today. Only couple of names that particularly recognised were Porter, Kashket and Luke Murphy. Maybe Murphy could be looked at depending what he has left?

23 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Would anyone take Lloyd back from Cheltenham??

Shrewsbury have released Shaun Whalley,Defenders Ethan Ebanks-Landell and Aaron Pierre(rated when  at Wycombe) and midfielders David Davis and Josh Daniels

Whalley even 3 years ago would of been fantastic. He's 34 now. Not so sure on him. Pierre always a bit of a beast at CH. 

58 minutes ago, jeffers said:

Exactly my thoughts, can’t see Piergianni wanting to be playing National League next season. That would bolster the central defence and particularly if we could get Cass signed-up as well. Don’t see Benning or Hussey being the number 1 choice on the left so both wing back positions may need strengthening. A lot depends on Gibbo’s situation.

Walker, Garrity & Conlon would be my first choice midfield. Add a creative midfielder to offer cover / plan B.

Proctor & Wilson are fine if they get the proper service, too much dropping off to get the ball. A nippy, horrible pacey striker in the mould of McKirdy / Telford to offer a plan B.

Easy isn’t it. 😄

Let's not sign centre backs who have played 39 games in a team relegated from the league this season. 

22 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

We could do with signing someone like that Harry McKirdy but I don't expect we would ever stand a chance of getting a player like him. 

The fans would hound them out anyway. Anyone with any flair is not liked in Burslem these days. 

2 hours ago, Guppys left peg said:

I thought Lloyd showed a good workrate and attitude but I just don’t think he’s enough of a goal threat. As the fourth choice striker wouldn’t be the worst though.

Crewe done their retained list today. Only couple of names that particularly recognised were Porter, Kashket and Luke Murphy. Maybe Murphy could be looked at depending what he has left?

The midfielder Lowery will also be leaving but i guess he will be on his way to another league 1 club

Archived