onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

I’ve heard from people close to those 2 in particular that we haven’t offered any new deals to them yet. I had no reason not to doubt them, but who knows. 
Fair enough, I'm only guessing myself as i can't imagine DF hasn't started talks with the both of them.

Maybe Gibbos injuries and Smith lack of ball playing don't stack up from a wage demand point of view. It would be a massive call from the recruitment team.

Advert

7 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

I don't think it would be wholesale changes though. If we can keep Gibbo, proctor and smith my starting XI would be

New GK
Benning
Hall
Smith
New CB (an actual Cass replacement)
Gibbo
Walker
Conlon
Garrity/Charsley
Wilson
Proctor

Bench - Stone, Martin, Hussey/new WB, Garrity/Charsley, new striker

2 new starting 11 players isn't the end of the world.

Don't think 3 of that defence will be here in August.

21 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

Fair enough, I'm only guessing myself as i can't imagine DF hasn't started talks with the both of them.

Maybe Gibbos injuries and Smith lack of ball playing don't stack up from a wage demand point of view. It would be a massive call from the recruitment team.

Personally I’d be signing them up if I could.  I get what you mean about gibbo but that last ankle injury was a freak one, much like the Cass injury. 

2 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

I'd keep Martin, Taylor, Robinson and Hussey, and don't think we need to make wholesale changes again. It's worth remembering that, as poor as the last 3 results have been, we also dropped 9 points in the first 4 games as we were still trying to gel as a team.

Really wouldn't look to keep Hussey...aged plodder.

A very very hard summer. I honestly don’t know what to do as most players at times have looked really good. The likes of Benning, Hussey and Martin have put in truly dire performances as well as some very decent ones. 

At our best, we looked irresistible but recently nothing has really clicked. 

I feel it may be a case the team has not gelled due to the injuries and too many changes. So maybe major change would do more harm than good. 

Then again I thought that after Askey got us near the P-offs 2 seasons back and we got a relegation battle. 

Or maybe the team wake up, beat Exeter and it triggers a run of great form again? Who knows?

It has been a really inconsistent season. 

1 hour ago, bomber said:

I know Gibbo has had a bit of bad luck but he needs to prove his fitness over a season FGR had 12 players on 30+ games Exeter not far behind compared to our 5 says it all really.

At this rate he won’t be proving it here with no new contract. 

I would like to see us have a better rounded squad who can play a back 4 as well as 3.

My Shopping List regardless of League. 

GK - An real No. 1 GK

A nasty horrible bastard at CB. If L2 next season Pierginnani would fit the bill for me. Head on a stick, aggressive smashes anyone in his way, a proper leader.

A nasty horrible bastard in CM.

A player in CM who can dribble past a player.

Pace in wide areas.

Target man to backup Proctor or 2 if he doesn’t renew.

Pacey Striker with a bit of experience.

That makes 7 new faces for me so we would need to make room.

2 hours ago, PV1973 said:

I’ve heard from people close to those 2 in particular that we haven’t offered any new deals to them yet. I had no reason not to doubt them, but who knows. 

I have been told the same. Players have not been told or had any negotiations on new contracts yet, even those you would want to keep.

I would imagine we are looking for someone who is better than Smith and more reliable than Gibbo for the same money they will want.
I think Smith is an excellent defender but he just can't play football and I love everything about Gibbo but he's been injured for the last 2 seasons

It depends on lot on which league we are in I guess, let’s base this on being in league two which is more likely than not based on odds.

Of the four loanees I would be tempted to look at keeping Edmundson, I think he does offer something but depends on Leeds plans for him.

Of the out of contract I would keep Smith, Gibbons (not sure clubs will gamble on him with his injuries just yet so should stand a chance), Benning, Proctor is a must and I would be tempted to keep Woz (assuming his hip is the problem and can be worked out over the summer).

Stone I would keep as a number 2.

I would release Amoo.

I would transfer list Covolan if the club don’t want him, Hurst and if they don’t plan on using him Taylor.

Replace Covolan with a decent number one. The Colchester keeper if available George would be a decent signing.

Bring back Lewis Cass on loan (or sign if available).

I’d love Piergianni, a proper old fashioned head everything centre half and a danger going forward from set pieces, would we have dealt with those far post headers we kept conceding earlier in the season with him in there? Possibly would see Martin make way.

If funds allowed a reliable centre forward to allow us to cope with losing Proctor or Wilson through injury and rest, ideally someone with a bit of pace. Maybe Simpson from Villa?

Creative midfielder to replace Taylor.

Maybe see what the Politic situation is in Italy as well.

Wouldn’t want to see another rebuild just the tweaks to push us that one step further, depth to the quality we have, sort the keeper situation.

47 minutes ago, MBE said:

I would like to see us have a better rounded squad who can play a back 4 as well as 3.

My Shopping List regardless of League. 

GK - An real No. 1 GK

A nasty horrible bastard at CB. If L2 next season Pierginnani would fit the bill for me. Head on a stick, aggressive smashes anyone in his way, a proper leader.

A nasty horrible bastard in CM.

A player in CM who can dribble past a player.

Pace in wide areas.

Target man to backup Proctor or 2 if he doesn’t renew.

Pacey Striker with a bit of experience.

That makes 7 new faces for me so we would need to make room.

Add a nasty horrible bastard up front.  You can never have too many nasty horrible bastards.

Seriously though I’d say that’s not a bad list.  A couple of players with a bit more pace who can carry the ball.  We need 2 more strikers even if Proc stays.

3 hours ago, Walka003 said:

No I'm saying we probably have tried to offer them a contact, but they are looking up the leagues

I personally don't think there's a cat in hells chance Smith is getting offers from League 1. I'd also be amazed if there is a list of suitors queuing for Gibbo given his injury record. I think both will stay.

Archived