onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Exeter City v Port Vale

Fosse69

Just now, Biddulph_PV said:

Not so sure about us beating them at home. They were running rings round us in midfield and it was only a screamer from Harratt completely out of the blue that got us level before Cov got involved. Williams (who I think got the first) and (as much as if grates on me to say it) McKirdy were class that day and we’ve some how got to stifle those two. McKirdy is the type of player who winds fans and players up and is constantly in the refs ear, and could quick easily repeat his trick of getting us a man sent off so we need to be ‘clever’ with him.

In fairness DC admitted he'd got it wrong. The red and penalty on half time changed everything. 

Can't rewrite history but the 2nd half may of been totally different had we luckily gone in 1-1. 

Anyway thats gone. 

For me it's a toss of a coin job between all 4 teams. Small margins will decide everything. 

2 or 3 more games for us to get a penalty 🤔

I expect 2 nerve wracking tight games. 

Advert

The away games for each will be key for me, and I can see a situation where neither team wins their home. I think the way we set-up means we are better suited away. The wide open spaces at Vale Park means that McKirdy and Williams were able to drop off to find space, just look back at Williams goal. I’m not sure how we combat this with no Walker.

8 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Not so sure about us beating them at home. They were running rings round us in midfield and it was only a screamer from Harratt completely out of the blue that got us level before Cov got involved. Williams (who I think got the first) and (as much as if grates on me to say it) McKirdy were class that day and we’ve some how got to stifle those two. McKirdy is the type of player who winds fans and players up and is constantly in the refs ear, and could quick easily repeat his trick of getting us a man sent off so we need to be ‘clever’ with him.

If we do nothing else can we PLEASE drop that God-awful "xyz is a sex offender" song especially if McKirdy is the target? It's got all the wit, humour and originality of a frozen pea. Moreover it worked against us with Hairy Mac last time. 

1 minute ago, Biddulph_PV said:

The away games for each will be key for me, and I can see a situation where neither team wins their home. I think the way we set-up means we are better suited away. The wide open spaces at Vale Park means that McKirdy and Williams were able to drop off to find space, just look back at Williams goal. I’m not sure how we combat this with no Walker.

Our home and away records are identical 

11-6-6 

Swindon have the best away record with 13 wins. We have the 2nd best away record .

So I think you're spot on. 

Swindon are the 1 x side I would have preferred to steer clear of just because I think Vale Park suits their style of play. They are a good footballing team & the best side I witnessed at Vale Park all season. They were playing us off the pitch even when we had 11 men.

Having said that, we won at their place & you'd like to think DC & our coaching staff have learned lessons from the 2 x league games, specifically the home match.

McKirdy & Williams are the two who need particular focus. I can see McKirdy causing us problems, I'm not sure we have a way to stop him especially with Walker sidelined. 

Great to be in the playoffs, some exciting games to come & more TV money in the coffers! Great to have the 2nd leg at home in the evening as well, Vale Park can be a special place in the evening & I'm sure it'll be full to the brim. Let's hope we can find our way to Wembley in what would be a fitting way to end the season after so many trials & tribulations. 

DC to win it on penos at Wembley again... he couldn't... could he.

We’re talking as if he’s a prime Messi… he isn’t, but he is a good player who hurt us last time out because a) we allowed him to dictate the game (a bit like Coutts) and b) we didn’t deal with the movement in their midfield.  

5 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

We’re talking as if he’s a prime Messi… he isn’t, but he is a good player who hurt us last time out because a) we allowed him to dictate the game (a bit like Coutts) and b) we didn’t deal with the movement in their midfield.  

This is what worries me. I don't feel like we've got the legs in midfield to deal with them. This isn't a dig at all, just an observation, but I still feel we look like we're lacking legs massively in midfield. Even yesterday, we never really had any control of the middle of the park. 

Garrity has had a long hard season, Walker is sidelined, Pett just back from injury, Charsley has picked up a knock. Some might question it but I'd be tempted with Taylor, just to have fresh legs & energy in there to try & combat their movement. Maybe the 2 week rest for Wozza will have re-energised him.

I do feel it's vital to try & inject some energy & not just choose players based on the fact they got a result yesterday. I think young Harratt still has a part to play as well.

PS. I hope Proc spends the next 7 days in the ice baths & getting daily massage! Wilson alluded to the fact that Proc has been struggling for couple of weeks in his after match interview & I think you've been able to tell he's not been full throttle. Prime Proc would make a massive difference but he looked dead on his feet for the final 20 yesterday. I was surprised they didn't bring Kian on after 70 mins.

Not at all. But he's clearly their talisman, much the way Proctor seems to be ours. They were a much poorer team, results wise, when he was out for a few games. Our results and performance suffer exactly the same way when Proctor is out injured or off form

I've no doubt McKirdy and Williams are their best players.

However their home record is poor 

They've won 9 out of 23. I know we've only won 11 but I think we need to set up similarly to yesterday.

Be competitive,don't allow space and play them high up the pitch.

It's a level playing field now and we must be hugely confident as only 2 teams had beaten Exeter away before yesterday.

We haven't actually lost to the top 2 this season

Archived