onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Vale Park Capacity

16 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I always thought that the land by the A500 across from Wolstanton Retail Park would have been an ideal place for a new ground development and if we hadn't Brexited we could have got EU money from the regional development fund!

That was part of the Garden Festival site wasnt it? At the time it was a cracking option for a new ground to be sited. If my ever decreasing memory serves me right was it not "mooted" for a large site suitable for a massive stadium that could double as a "Wembley of the North?" 

Advert

Apologies if this has been suggested before……..but can’t we finish the concourse in the Lorne street and allocate that part of the stand to away supporters. Then we can have both the Hamil and Bycars ends. 
I think the unused part of the Lorne street is destined to be the family stand with adjoining children's area. Which when you think about it, makes sense to make the Hamil the home end. You wouldn't want away fans right next to a family area.

Apologies if this has been suggested before……..but can’t we finish the concourse in the Lorne street and allocate that part of the stand to away supporters. Then we can have both the Hamil and Bycars ends. 
I think the unused part of the Lorne street is destined to be the family stand with adjoining children's area. Which when you think about it, makes sense to make the Hamil the home end. You wouldn't want away fans right next to a family area.
Makes sense to keep rowdy away fans away from modern toilets

46 minutes ago, connor hackett said:
55 minutes ago, Chopper Harris said:

Maybe they could make the Bycars the new family stand? 

It is a present, not a very appealing match day experience in there at the moment. If its used for a home end it desperately needs a revamp, however if its an away end, I'd be tempted leave it how it is. The Lorne street is much more modern and the Children's area which the foundation use on match days adjoins it.

1 hour ago, Guitar Ray said:

Ideal?  What’s there that makes it ideal apart from good road links?  Sorry but it’s too much of a blank canvas, exactly what we don’t want, a stadium remote from pretty much everything.

I was thinking a new stadium would be part of the development of that whole brownfield site. I’d rather stay at VP though. 

42 minutes ago, Gallifreyan Valiant said:

Talking about New Stadia has anyone seem Yorks. Noticing multi coloured seats are all the trend atm.

@Gallifreyan Valiant  yep -interesting to see the rationale for the move. 

York City's managing director Jason McGill cited "the annual cost of the maintenance and upkeep of a 1932 stadium with few commercial and income-generating opportunities" as the reason for the continued need to move to a new stadium

The stadium was partially funded by grants and money (millions according to local press) from the local council although it fair to say the club also raised a fair bit through the sale of Bootham Crescent to housing (something with the sporting covenant it wouldn't be possible for Vale to do).

It's also has a community hub attached to the stadium site. 

A community hub houses health and well-being services for York residents and visitors, including clinical services, an independent living assessment centre and a library

On 10/05/2022 at 21:21, Chopper Harris said:

I'd be completely against that personally. If the club is to continue and hopefully grow we need to have new, young fans coming into the club. If you're going to do that properly you need to give them the best facilities in the ground not some of the worst. 

The club have (rightly in my view) said that the new part of the Lorne St should be the new family area with some dedicated family things (I would imagine that would include competitions, meet and greets with the players, a kid-friendly refreshment area, Boomer doing the rounds and so on). I think that's the sort of thing you need to encourage younger fans. In contrast I've been in the Bycars with my kids and it comes across as an "after-thought" which isn't what you want children to think the club thinks about them.

@Gallifreyan Valiant  yep -interesting to see the rationale for the move. 
York City's managing director Jason McGill cited "the annual cost of the maintenance and upkeep of a 1932 stadium with few commercial and income-generating opportunities" as the reason for the continued need to move to a new stadium
The stadium was partially funded by grants and money (millions according to local press) from the local council although it fair to say the club also raised a fair bit through the sale of Bootham Crescent to housing (something with the sporting covenant it wouldn't be possible for Vale to do).
It's also has a community hub attached to the stadium site. 
A community hub houses health and well-being services for York residents and visitors, including clinical services, an independent living assessment centre and a library
The sporting covenant was something that made me uncomfertable at the time for the very reasom if we evee decided to do this we can't sell it for say a housing development supermarket etc.

28 minutes ago, Gallifreyan Valiant said:

The sporting covenant was something that made me uncomfertable at the time for the very reasom if we evee decided to do this we can't sell it for say a housing development supermarket etc.

It was to protect Port Vale from being evicted from the ground so it could be used for other purposes, always two sides to a coin.

I know the covenant has not been on the ground for long as it was put in place to protect the ground from the scheming Scumthwaite so that he couldn't close the club down and sell off the ground. Now that he is just an unpleasant smell that still hangs around the club could it be possible to get a "Deed of release" signed to release the club from the covenant on the understanding that a new ground was built to replace it which could then maybe transfer the covenant to the new stadium.

If this was possible it would at least give Carol an option to be able to sell Vale Park for more money than she would get than selling it as a property which could only be used as a sports stadium.

I know when we went Morecambe the publican who owned the pub by the old ground said that the land it was on couldn't be sold for redevelopment because it had to be used for sporting events. Its now a supermarket he said they got around it by building a 5 a side pitch at the bottom of the car park.

Looking at it you may be able to move the sporting covenant by applying to the council. Shrewsbury Town did this recently to stop some building near their ground (they wanted to expand the area their covenant covered to stop this). More controversially, Sam Hamman bought the Plough Lane covenant out (the dodgy council were clearly happy to take the cash and screw the club) so it can be done. 

I would imagine if it's an appeal to the council you need to explain why you want it moving (to allow other use of the old ground) and why it's justified (that it would move to the place the new ground is instead).

So, there is possibly that option (as long as the ground itself is not too riddled with mineshafts) of developing VP and getting money that way.

Incidentally, a lot of the major projects see clubs join up with building firms who will develop the rest of the site. That means you then have a load of facilities onsite (rather than the ground being in the middle of nowhere) and you get a significant reduction in the costs the club has to meet. The likes of York and Rotherham have also had pretty large contributions from local councils too.

Of course, there has to be the appetite to move, the right place to move to and the liquidity of funds to do so and I appreciate that it does look like the majority of fans want to stay at VP anyhow so I may always be in the minority here.

However, what I'm trying to point out is that moving to a new ground doesn't necessarily incur a huge debt if you get the right sort of partnerships with commercial companies and the council. It makes sense - there's a lot of clubs with new grounds and they're clearly not all destitute as a result of those moves. Some did make a mess of the move but others did it sensibly and didn't incur millions in debt.

Archived