onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ben Stokes named England Captain

boslemportvale91

The happiest man in and around the England squad must be Ben Foakes, who is missing the game due to covid and then seeing his replacement Billings look like a second team novice behind the stumps and   unconvincing with the  bat.

I hope the selection committee that have been preaching loyalty admit their error and never pick Billings for a test again. 

Advert

378 to win for England. Even with the way we chased down the targets against NZ you have to think it's unlikely England will knock it off. I'm all in favour of going about the target aggressively but that doesn't necessarily mean trying to smash the ball onto the roof of the stand. Can get that scoreboard moving just as well by knocking into the gaps and rotating the strike and I think England need to do that certainly at the start of the innings.

If he gets out now I offer my humble apologies for jinxing him in advance but Lees looks so imposing at the crease. Sort of like how Trescothick used to look or Hayden did for the Aussies. Just needs that one big score and I think we have ourselves an opener.

Going on a limb here this won’t be a draw 🙂

7 hours ago, robf said:

@Paul6754 @Aguar61 did you know about the time the Vale were the lead subject on TMS? I did an article on it some years ago...

Rob,  I didn't know that.  The only other commentary on a sport that I can think of that comes close to the TMS/cricket commentary is Baseball, interesting how the two sports are similar in pace and skills. Sadly, Jerry Remy, one of the great New England/Red Sox baseball commentators passed away recently.

I've been footie and cricket mad from when I was knee high to a grasshopper and have been listening to TMS or watching cricket on tele since the 60's. My plans for retirement involved PVFC and watching cricket and eating chocolate and ice cream but a chunk of that went south and my wife has put paid to another chunk!!

Think the key will be that first burst of Bumrah and Shami in the morning. Get through that and the likes of Siraj and Thakur can be scored off so all being well England would be close enough to the target by the time the new ball was due.

Regardless what happens tomorrow am absolutely loving the Stokes-McCullum era. It’s going to cause us to lose a few on the way but it’s entertaining. Well batted Root and Bairstow, wasn’t just Bazball style swing from the hip. They worked the gaps and ran between the wickets well. Root did kind of owe the team for the way he helped run out Lees.

3 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Rob,  I didn't know that.  The only other commentary on a sport that I can think of that comes close to the TMS/cricket commentary is Baseball, interesting how the two sports are similar in pace and skills. Sadly, Jerry Remy, one of the great New England/Red Sox baseball commentators passed away recently.

I've been footie and cricket mad from when I was knee high to a grasshopper and have been listening to TMS or watching cricket on tele since the 60's. My plans for retirement involved PVFC and watching cricket and eating chocolate and ice cream but a chunk of that went south and my wife has put paid to another chunk!!

I retired last Thursday. I have realised my posts on OVF have gone through the roof. I've not got my exercise plan going yet and need to get my other objectives off the ground. I suppose I can claim a defence in not being active on other social networks. 

Archived